Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know what the transmission in secondary schools is right now? I'm due to carry out some exam work in the next few weeks and my gut instinct is not to take the risk. Certainly one exam is in the Sports Hall with 150+ year 11's.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Does anyone know what the transmission in secondary schools is right now? I'm due to carry out some exam work in the next few weeks and my gut instinct is not to take the risk. Certainly one exam is in the Sports Hall with 150+ year 11's.

My carer works in a school which has a very low rate, but it varies from school to school, so ask your school how many cases it has in the year group you are with.

You will be distanced from them, anyone testing positive won’t be there, those that are should have tested negative within a day or 2 previously. they won’t be talking or messing about, wear a mask and as long as you are double vaxxed you should be good ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I can’t say definitively, only anecdotally. My middle daughter has Covid coordinator as one of her hats for school admin at a secondary school - 1,200 pupils. The Kent variant might have seen 5 children a week with it. Transmission was negligible. The Indian variant sees up to 200 a week. More transmissible but not so debilitating amongst the children. What it does in terms of number of staff off or when the kids take it back home…???

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My son was pinged today, 2 pupils in his class have it. Went for a pcr with him today. None of us knowingly have symptoms and the results won’t be until tomorrow afternoon.
I am booked into a competition and I have let my playing partners know the situation. I can keep my distance but I would prefer if they say if they are in a high risk group then I will pull out.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can’t say definitively, only anecdotally. My middle daughter has Covid coordinator as one of her hats for school admin at a secondary school - 1,200 pupils. The Kent variant might have seen 5 children a week with it. Transmission was negligible. The Indian variant sees up to 200 a week. More transmissible but not so debilitating amongst the children. What it does in terms of number of staff off or when the kids take it back home…???

That's my concern. In a hall of 150 kids how many might have slipped through testing...when I had it last November I was fine but David was quite poorly for a couple of weeks so would hate to bring it home. Not sure what to do really as my other job is cycling instructor in primary schools so much smaller groups and 95% of it outside. Plus I don't think that age group is as much of an issue. I'm pretty much talking myself into withdrawing until Covid is more under control in secondary schools - risk far outweighing the benefit I think.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone watch Dr John Campbell on youtube? I saw some of his stuff a while back and it was informative enough, altough he's pretty dull so didnt watch that many. Went back recently and he appears to have turned into some kind of Ivermectin zealot! I dont know a massive amount about it, beyond the odd person telling me its wonder drug that's being kept from us as there is no money to be made, but what stuff I have read seems to point to it being of no proven use for fighting Covid anyway.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pulled out of the competition, I figured it’s best it stops here.
Boys results were negative, but we will keep a regular lateral flow test going.
I need to keep a eye on it all as I will be travelling in 15days .. better to be ready to cancel everything.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
had my booster first thing this morning, and don't feel great, quite woozy and light headed. Got Pfizer after having AZ for the first two. Had my flu jab last week, don't know if that's a factor.

Was supposed to be playing at lunchtime, but thought it best to give it a miss. Hopefully will be ok for tomorrow.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
had my booster first thing this morning, and don't feel great, quite woozy and light headed. Got Pfizer after having AZ for the first two. Had my flu jab last week, don't know if that's a factor.

Was supposed to be playing at lunchtime, but thought it best to give it a miss. Hopefully will be ok for tomorrow.
I'd thought you would plan better than that. I've booked mine for 2 weeks time, 2pm on a Saturday after I have played that morning. Sunday might be on the settee watching football feeling as you are now. Planning ;) :LOL:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

You'll be fine in time for Christmas. Hopefully this one.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, just looking for a bit of clarification from those more understanding of these things than me.

From a week today, people under the age of 50 can have their booster jab but I understand that it has to be 6 months after your second jab. Is that set in stone and for a solid medical reason.

I only ask because I had plucked up the courage to finally go to a gig at an indoor venue for my birthday on December 11th. Trouble is, that is 6 months to the day from my second jab. Mentally I would feel so much better if I could have that booster jab just a couple of weeks earlier and go out knowing I had all of the protection in me that I can have but suspect that I will have to have it when I get back (but at least will be triple jabbed for Xmas)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, just looking for a bit of clarification from those more understanding of these things than me.

From a week today, people under the age of 50 can have their booster jab but I understand that it has to be 6 months after your second jab. Is that set in stone and for a solid medical reason.

I only ask because I had plucked up the courage to finally go to a gig at an indoor venue for my birthday on December 11th. Trouble is, that is 6 months to the day from my second jab. Mentally I would feel so much better if I could have that booster jab just a couple of weeks earlier and go out knowing I had all of the protection in me that I can have but suspect that I will have to have it when I get back (but at least will be triple jabbed for Xmas)

It is set in stone for administrative reasons. The difference between getting the booster 6 months minus a day versus 6 months plus a day is, of course, precisely zero. You could try your luck a few days earlier at a walk in centre, but I wouldn't like to bet on a successful outcome.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. If you are under 50 and don't have some impairment affecting immune response, your immunity from 2 vax should still be pretty robust at 6 months. I won't comment on whether you should or should not go to the event except to say that I don't think the level of protection would be very different if you had the booster a week or so before. 3 or 4 months further down the line, maybe.