Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
For the life of me, I cannot think of more damage than dying. Coupled with seeing loved ones deal with the after effects of a loved one taken away.

I am all for getting on with life but if it means that people wear masks in crowded places what hardship is that.

That’s correct and at the time the government allowed me to go. The same as it allows people to go on its holidays now ??

But the Government have said that people no longer have to wear masks in shops & certain other crowded places; so why should people wear them when they don't have to if other people could have not gone on holiday but did because the Government didn't say they couldn't?

D

Deleted member 1147

The government’s basic stance has always been that people should use common sense.
Foreign holidays at the beginning of the pandemic didn’t seem like common sense to me.

Crumplezone

Visit site
But the Government have said that people no longer have to wear masks in shops & certain other crowded places; so why should people wear them when they don't have to if other people could have not gone on holiday but did because the Government didn't say they couldn't?

Oooh, I don't know? Maybe to show they have a shred of consideration for their fellow humans? As they're still required in Wales and Scotland, the decision in England was purely political so Johnson could proclaim his precious freedom day.

D-S

Visit site
Oooh, I don't know? Maybe to show they have a shred of consideration for their fellow humans? As they're still required in Wales and Scotland, the decision in England was purely political so Johnson could proclaim his precious freedom day.
Interesting to see that the mask wearing mandate in Wales isn seeming to have the desired effect despite a very good vaccination system rollout. Is it just a case of non compliance?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just returned from a much needed week in Rhodes. All felt very safe and secure.
Nothing checked at airport on the way out which was dissapointing, but we needed to show vacc proof/pax locator form when coming back, and it was being double checked on the computer system on arrival, those whose didn't show up were asked to show their PLF.
Masks worn on the plane the whole time unless eating or drinking, only exempted by an actual Drs note. THis was strictly enforced by the cabin crew, to the point that one covidiot just in front of me who was taking the pee a bit was politley told if he didn't comply the captain would be informed and may decide to land the plane and have him removed. Cue lots of angry looks from other pax and idiot winding his neck in.
Once in Greece its easy to see why they have done so much better than us. Masks are compulsory everywhere indoors or on public transport and no exceptions. No mask, no entry, and not a sunflower lanyard to be seen. Hotel kept spotless by staff.
I felt far safer than I do in Britain and would not hesitate to travel again.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you are that scared of Covid. Stay at home.

Stop blaming the younger generations for the problems of the world. It is getting rather tiresome on here. The kids have had enough damage done from Covid as it is. And let's be fair. The initial spread, and super spreading incidents weren't caused by youngsters.

Take a look many of the other big issues we face, and which generations are responsible.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I may be a voice in the wilderness here, but I am starting to wonder how long this thread can continue.

Let’s face it, Covid isn’t going anywhere any time soon, if ever. It seems very much here to stay in whatever guise, and we need to accept it.

In the early days, through lockdowns and the development and rolling out of vaccines, this thread was a really interesting source of information. Sure, there have been a number of quite nasty exchanges along the way, but in the main it remained informative.

But what is generally being discussed is now normal, day to day life. Who wears a mask, who doesn’t, which age demographic is most poorly behaved, who hasn’t had a vaccine and why, and so on. For months it’s been Groundhog Day.

Perhaps it’s time to let this thread slip down the board once and for all, or alternatively for the mods to pin it, so that those who want to continue to visit it can do so without it reappearing at the top of the forum every time someone sees a teenager in Aldi without a mask.

Stay safe and well all.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I may be a voice in the wilderness here, but I am starting to wonder how long this thread can continue.

Let’s face it, Covid isn’t going anywhere any time soon, if ever. It seems very much here to stay in whatever guise, and we need to accept it.

In the early days, through lockdowns and the development and rolling out of vaccines, this thread was a really interesting source of information. Sure, there have been a number of quite nasty exchanges along the way, but in the main it remained informative.

But what is generally being discussed is now normal, day to day life. Who wears a mask, who doesn’t, which age demographic is most poorly behaved, who hasn’t had a vaccine and why, and so on. For months it’s been Groundhog Day.

Perhaps it’s time to let this thread slip down the board once and for all, or alternatively for the mods to pin it, so that those who want to continue to visit it can do so without it reappearing at the top of the forum every time someone sees a teenager in Aldi without a mask.

Stay safe and well all.

I think it’s fair to say that people have made up there minds about Vaccinations, masks, social distance, back to normal etc etc. I don’t think anyone will change there opinions now.
This subject gives people the opportunity to still argue with the person and not the topic.
Also Ave a feeling the winter months will add spice to the topic ☹️

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

I read BIMs comment to be a reposte of Tashys justification of his travel (because the government allowed it. )
Pointing out that because the government allow masks not to be worn, doesn't mean it is a good idea.
I think BIM and most here believe mask wearing is desirable ( for the reason you give).

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The old phrase of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" is relevant here.

Lots of people have used all sorts of mental gymnastics and excuses for justification for breaking rules or doing something they know they shouldn't. The very same people who then berate others for doing the same.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

What, like people who went on holiday could have done by staying at home instead; that sort of consideration?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this thread has run it's course.
Most people have an element of hypocrisy in what they say and do, and that includes those here myself included.
We have to get on with it and life as we know we have this for years to come, as we are all free human beings taking different views on the way forward which is mostly the path less impactful on us ourselves.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think this thread has run it's course.
Most people have an element of hypocrisy in what they say and do, and that includes those here myself included.
We have to get on with it and life as we know we have this for years to come, as we are all free human beings taking different views on the way forward which is mostly the path less impactful on us ourselves.

The issue for me is that, now there is rarely anything new to say, the sole remaining purpose of this thread is for it to be used as a means to have an argument. It has long since ceased to serve it’s original purpose.

I’m not saying close it, as others may still wish to contribute. Pinning it seems the best option so that it remains accessible, but doesn’t constantly reappear at the top of the list of newly updated threads as a constant reminder of the crap two years we’ve all just endured.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The older people are safe because they are vaccinated and the kids have very, very low risk so there was always likely to be a lower take up of vaccinations imo. The way it’s going that age group will all have natural immunity before long anyway.

And hopefully a very small number will have died or suffered subcilnical inflammatory damage, or allowed endemic levels of virus to stimulate another new variant. So that's all right then.
If you are that scared of Covid. Stay at home.

Stop blaming the younger generations for the problems of the world. It is getting rather tiresome on here. The kids have had enough damage done from Covid as it is. And let's be fair. The initial spread, and super spreading incidents weren't caused by youngsters.

Take a look many of the other big issues we face, and which generations are responsible.

Accusing people who act with caution of being scared. The hallmark of the denier. Taking sensible precautions isn’t being scared. What would you do - invite Covid to step outside?

The fact is that the current endemicity is driven by the young. The virus doesn’t know or care how old someone is. But your attitude is “Screw it, let them be young and if they help create a new variant or kill granny whose immunity is weakening, well, too bad, kids will be kids”.

Not a very smart attitude.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
.......or allowed endemic levels of virus to stimulate another new variant. So that's all right then.

....and if they help create a new variant or kill granny whose immunity is weakening, well, too bad, kids will be kids”.

Surely if you are so concerned about a new variant you would be all for not vaccinating our children (very low risk) and actually sending all the vaccines we are using to ensure we are okay to nations who are falling so far behind in their vaccination race? We know that the virus doesn't have any geographical boundaries and so by allowing those countries so little access (relatively speaking) to the vaccine means that it stands a far greater chance of appearing there than it does here. There is also the moral question of whether we should be helping protect other countries vulnerable rather than giving to all those in our country who remain lightly touched by the virus.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Surely if you are so concerned about a new variant you would be all for not vaccinating our children (very low risk) and actually sending all the vaccines we are using to ensure we are okay to nations who are falling so far behind in their vaccination race? We know that the virus doesn't have any geographical boundaries and so by allowing those countries so little access (relatively speaking) to the vaccine means that it stands a far greater chance of appearing there than it does here. There is also the moral question of whether we should be helping protect other countries vulnerable rather than giving to all those in our country who remain lightly touched by the virus.

Do you not agree with Ethan, or not understand what he means by "current endemnicity.....etc?
If I understand him correctly, he is saying that letting the virus free reign among the young, ( who aren't too badly affected, yes), means that it spreads more among the rest of us, who it is badly affecting still.
Thus, if the kids were vaccinated there would be less spread, and less illness and death among the rest of the population.
If I've got him wrong, I'm sure he'll tell us, - and, my apology?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do you not agree with Ethan, or not understand what he means by "current endemnicity.....etc?
If I understand him correctly, he is saying that letting the virus free reign among the young, ( who aren't too badly affected, yes), means that it spreads more among the rest of us, who it is badly affecting still.
Thus, if the kids were vaccinated there would be less spread, and less illness and death among the rest of the population.
If I've got him wrong, I'm sure he'll tell us, - and, my apology?

I completely understand however there is the bigger picture. Covid is only under control when it’s under control all over the world. We should be concentrating on passing our vaccines onto those countries that don’t have them rather than vaccination our much younger generations. Those older and more at risk are all jabbed so won’t get as badly affected as they would previously plus they have the boosters coming up.

My main point is that to avoid scarier virus mutations I think we need to be looking abroad rather than just at our own population.