Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your analogy was ridiculous! To be considered 'equivalent', airlines should be forced to provide passengers with parachutes, and training to use them, on every flight!

You neglected to include 'personal circumstances' in the decision process!
While I believe far too many 'no-vax' folk are making poor decisions based on misinformation, lack of trust and other wrong reasons, everyone should be entitled to make their own decision about whether/when to be vaccinated - based on as much verifiable info as possible/required!
My parachute analogy was referring to people who carry parachutes, not airline passengers. I thought you would have understood that.

The best decisions are based on expert advice and probability. People are at will to make decisions based on whatever they wish, even if it isn't in their best interest.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I know plenty of very decent people who contribute significantly to the wellbeing of society but would today be dead had the NHS adopted a ‘sorry…back of the queue for you m’lad’ approach. Sadly (for me) it seems like some on here would be happy with that. Me…I’m for an NHS that treats people without fear or favour.
Yes, and we don't know many people who did all the right things, didn't abuse themselves with drugs, just wanted to live decent family lives, who were at the back of the queue because druggies were ahead of them.
NICE tell us they have to make heartbreaking decisions in refusing funds for treating people who need it to live. Because the cake is only so big. And someone must be refused. (It would be better if that wasn't the case and then no one would be at the back of the queue - but the reality is different)
And if that is the case, why is it wrong to make a judgement such as that ,on the basis some of us (sadly for you?) would be prepared to make.
Some people every day have to make judgements they would prefer not to, in their work.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, and we don't know many people who did all the right things, didn't abuse themselves with drugs, just wanted to live decent family lives, who were at the back of the queue because druggies were ahead of them.
NICE tell us they have to make heartbreaking decisions in refusing funds for treating people who need it to live. Because the cake is only so big. And someone must be refused. (It would be better if that wasn't the case and then no one would be at the back of the queue - but the reality is different)
And if that is the case, why is it wrong to make a judgement such as that ,on the basis some of us (sadly for you?) would be prepared to make.
Some people every day have to make judgements they would prefer not to, in their work.
It doesn’t have to be a zero sum game with winners and losers. I might not always be able to forgive the ‘sin‘, but I can forgive the ‘sinner’ - though I accept that that view on life may not be one that is very widely held.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you take a medication that had the following common side affects?

Conditions Of Excess Stomach Acid Secretion
Irritation Of The Stomach Or Intestines
Nausea
Vomiting
Heartburn
Stomach Cramps

Aspirin

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
and again - just accept that some will still feel unease about a vaccine that is still very new and has affected a number of people negatively.

Years of advance research
The research that helped to develop vaccines against the new coronavirus didn’t start in January. For years, researchers had been paying attention to related coronaviruses, which cause SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome), and some had been working on new kinds of vaccine — an effort that has now paid off spectacularly.''

The vaccine is NOT very new, it's been in development for years.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03626-1

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The vaccine is NOT very new, it's been in development for years.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03626-1
Utter twaddle!
Here's the first part of the first sentence from the article you quote/refer to....
'When scientists began seeking a vaccine for the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in early 2020,'
The text I've italicised should make it clear when development of the particular vacccines for this/these virus/es
It's the techniques to develop (such) vaccines that have been researched/developed for several years!

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you take a medication that had the following common side affects?

Conditions Of Excess Stomach Acid Secretion
Irritation Of The Stomach Or Intestines
Nausea
Vomiting
Heartburn
Stomach Cramps

Aspirin
Now I’m pro-vaccine. I think everyone should get the jab. But this post isn’t the zinger you think it is!
People who are “vaccine hesitant”, and I know a few, aren’t concerned about the known side effects. They’re concerned about the unknown ones….

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now I’m pro-vaccine. I think everyone should get the jab. But this post isn’t the zinger you think it is!
People who are “vaccine hesitant”, and I know a few, aren’t concerned about the known side effects. They’re concerned about the unknown ones….

But surely people who are “vaccine hesitant” are aware of a known possible side effect of Covid-19 ......................... SLOW DEATH.
What side effect of the vaccine could be worse?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Unless they read the entire information sheet that comes with every packet of paracetamol, nurofen or any other drug they buy or get prescribed, and I'd be willing to bet big money that they all don't, then all of the things listed would be unknown side effects.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
But surely people who are “vaccine hesitant” are aware of a known possible side effect of Covid-19 ......................... SLOW DEATH.
What side effect of the vaccine could be worse?
Not sure how I’ve ended up defending the idiots who won’t get the jab, but here goes…

They probably think that the chances of getting, and then dying from the virus are quite small (feel free to Google the death rate - I can’t be bothered).

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless they read the entire information sheet that comes with every packet of paracetamol, nurofen or any other drug they buy or get prescribed, and I'd be willing to bet big money that they all don't, then all of the things listed would be unknown side effects.
A touch pedantic I suppose, but the term “known side effect” was used to reference proven effects, not as in “known by the end user”…

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Almost 7 Billion doses of the vaccines have been given worldwide.
I think if it had any serious side affects, we would have heard by now.
I suspect the key word in that statement is “think”.

As stated, I’m pro vax, and have relatively zero medical knowledge. However, I can see why some groups are hesitant at the moment. I think they’re wrong, but I can understand.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Elisa Granato was the first person in Europe to get the vaccine.
A few days later, there were reports on twitter that she had died from getting the vaccine.
It was all rubbish of course but it was retweeted many times by others who didn't check it first.
But that was April last year and yet there are still some people who seem to be determined to find a reason, any reason not to get the vaccine.
Some say they don't know what the long term side affects of taking the vaccine could be, well we sure as hell know what the short term side affects of not taking it could be.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Elisa Granato was the first person in Europe to get the vaccine.
A few days later, there were reports on twitter that she had died from getting the vaccine.
It was all rubbish of course but it was retweeted many times by others who didn't check it first.
But that was April last year and yet there are still some people who seem to be determined to find a reason, any reason not to get the vaccine.
Some say they don't know what the long term side affects of taking the vaccine could be, well we sure as hell know what the short term side affects of not taking it could be.
April last year?

Incredibly ironic that you’ve picked a fake news story to highlight the issue of fake news.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I suspect the key word in that statement is “think”.

As stated, I’m pro vax, and have relatively zero medical knowledge. However, I can see why some groups are hesitant at the moment. I think they’re wrong, but I can understand.
Same aplies for me!

I can understand how those planning or trying to have kids would be concerned about potential, as yet undiscovered, side effects. I don't believe there will be any significant ones and the effects of being affected by Covid would likely be far more significant, but I can understand their concern.

Unfortunately, it's also very easy for dis-information to be broadcast these days. And there are far too many folk who are able/keen to do exactly that - for their own gratification, egos or other purposes!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

The imaginary side effects are the worst. The people afraid of ghosts should be concerned about suffocating to death or having an endo-tracheal tube shoved down their neck to put them on a ventilator, not to mention the possibility of renal or liver damage that could necessitate dialysis or a transplant sometime in the future. In contrast to some of their fears, those risks are real.

People have no idea about evaluating different risks.