Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just read in The Times this morning (can’t post the link as it’s behind a paywall) that Catalonia has just closed it’s nightclubs due to a fivefold increase in cases, Navarra and Cantabria are also now shutting or restricting hours of night clubs due to soaring cases.

Andalusia reported over 6,000 new cases yesterday. Some municipalities are going into perimeter lockdown. Malaga has reported over 1,100 in the last 2 days.

Andalucian President has said further, scheduled relaxations won’t happen but restrictions will.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The aerosol breath must be affected by a barrier. It will still get through but it's velocity has to be reduced by a mask and as such will not travel as far and fall to the ground earlier than If exhaled directly. I understand a mask will not stop it but depending on the quality it will reduce its ability to travel.

Don't think so, SR?.
Aerosol breath is exactly that. Breath. Pretty much like air. You can liken it to exhaled breath from a smoker. It just circulates around without falling to the ground. The little beasties float around in it quite happily, which is why when outside, the air disperses( in the stronger air currents) and so the concentration of the breath -air with beasties in it- is very much reduced, again like smoke, and so infection is very unlikely in the open air.
But, In unventilated indoor rooms, again like smoke, it hands around long enough to infect.
Surgical masks will filter the beasties from this air that is breathed in, but I have my doubts that ordinary masks that we see being worn, will do that.
If it is proved that they do, then great.
Btw- I have always said that it's wise to wear masks where they prevent droplet transmission ?
Edit. Having read Ethan's 20,156 post, and on the basis that the contents of the last paragraph are accurate, it seems the evidence points to everyday masks having some effect on aerosol. So to that extent I sit corrected?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had my 2nd jab two weeks ago today, I can now attend mass trial events. Why on earth should I, or anyone else in the same boat, have to wait until next month to not need to isolate? More than happy to do daily testing if need be but ff they think I'm losing two weeks wages despite being fully protected they're going to be disappointed.

The delay to next month is to have a parachute if July 19th proves to be a disastrous mistake, so they can pull back some "liberties". Not that doing so will help much, but something will have to be done, so something will be done.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The point is that in a month or so he’ll be exactly the same so won’t have to isolate so the argument is will some bother in the interim?
Because it’s the right thing to do. This decision isn’t being made in the best interest of the nation, it’s being made to curry favour.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because it’s the right thing to do. This decision isn’t being made in the best interest of the nation, it’s being made to curry favour.

Reports on Twitter (Edited to add - from blue ticked political reporters) that the government didn't have enough support from their own MPs to continue with mask wearing laws and didn't want to rely on Labour to get enough votes so has dropped them as a requirement.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't think so, SR?.
Aerosol breath is exactly that. Breath. Pretty much like air. You can liken it to exhaled breath from a smoker. It just circulates around without falling to the ground. The little beasties float around in it quite happily, which is why when outside, the air disperses( in the stronger air currents) and so the concentration of the breath -air with beasties in it- is very much reduced, again like smoke, and so infection is very unlikely in the open air.
But, In unventilated indoor rooms, again like smoke, it hands around long enough to infect.
Surgical masks will filter the beasties from this air that is breathed in, but I have my doubts that ordinary masks that we see being worn, will do that.
If it is proved that they do, then great.
Btw- I have always said that it's wise to wear masks where they prevent droplet transmission ?
Edit. Having read Ethan's 20,156 post, and on the basis that the contents of the last paragraph are accurate, it seems the evidence points to everyday masks having some effect on aerosol. So to that extent I sit corrected?
Also read the link I posted in #20,142. It's an in depth research paper into whether masks reduce aerosol and droplets into the air. You should find it interesting.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Reports on Twitter (Edited to add - from blue ticked political reporters) that the government didn't have enough support from their own MPs to continue with mask wearing laws and didn't want to rely on Labour to get enough votes so has dropped them as a requirement.

I believe it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can see trouble ahead, England dropping the use of masks, Scotland keep them
Tourism in Scotland is expecting lots of visitors from South of the border once their schools break up...

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tourism in Scotland is expecting lots of visitors from South of the border once their schools break up...

But if you travel to a different country you abide by their rules so if Scotland maintain mask use then you do likewise?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ah, because lives saved with opposition help aren't as important as those saved with your own party's support. Led by the science indeed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Could you add some links or mention who tweeted, would like to see the story. 100% believe it.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Heard lots of Scottish accents here over the last few days. Many not wearing masks...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Here’s the thing. My lad has been offered work for 24th July…hurrah - it’s a gig in Leeds. There will likely be a few hundred attending. Most will not have been double vaccinated. They will most likely only have to show a negative LF test result done on the day of the gig - for what that’s worth. Mask wearing will not be a condition of entry and few are expected to wear one.

My lad has not been double vaccinated. His job usually entails him mingling with the audience as they enter and throughout the gig. If there is infection in the audience he’ll quite likely be exposed to it. He cannot turn the work down as he is on UC and the DWP tend to look unfavourably on that sort of thing.

My wife is very worried that he’ll pick up the virus and 1) be forced to isolate if pinged = loss of work end of July early August now booked in and 2) develop long covid. She’s worried. She’s a mum.

What‘s the answer? Well if he had any sort of compensation from gov for loss of work and income then delay reopening of venues until most under 30s are double vaccinated. But none of that is going to happen - so we will look to buy the most effective masks for him to wear - and he will try and minimise the time he is in close proximity with the audience. But it is worrying.

And of course exactly the same worry is with all those not double-vaccinated who work in the hospitality sector and are now facing the risk of regular exposure to a potentially rampant delta variant indoors from the 19th. But hey. Freedom Day. Celebrate. Yeh right. For many maybe. Necessary maybe. Worrying for another many certainly.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've come out to Netherlands for work. Wore my mask on the flight and while picking up the hire car. Also wore it when I got to the hotel. Went for a walk and got the mask out to go into the shop and realised none of the people in there were wearing them. I got some very funny looks for wearing one. When I got back to the hotel I checked with one of the staff who said that they are only mandatory on public transport over here.

Worst part of it is that I got a negative PCR test yesterday, flew out this morning and am now feeling terrible with cold/flu symptoms. Started with a slightly scratchy throat at lunchtime and progressed from there. Been alternately dosing myself up on paracetamol and ibuprofen all day and two litres of orange juice to try and knock it on the head. If I'm no better in the morning will be forced to have an interesting conversation with my agency.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Here’s the thing. My lad has been offered work for 24th July…hurrah - it’s a gig in Leeds. There will likely be a few hundred attending. Most will not have been double vaccinated. They will most likely only have to show a negative LF test result done on the day of the gig - for what that’s worth. Mask wearing will not be a condition of entry and few are expected to wear one.

My lad has not been double vaccinated. His job usually entails him mingling with the audience as they enter and throughout the gig. If there is infection in the audience he’ll quite likely be exposed to it. He cannot turn the work down as he is on UC and the DWP tend to look unfavourably on that sort of thing.

My wife is very worried that he’ll pick up the virus and 1) be forced to isolate if pinged = loss of work end of July early August now booked in and 2) develop long covid. She’s worried. She’s a mum.

What‘s the answer? Well if he had any sort of compensation from gov for loss of work and income then delay reopening of venues until most under 30s are double vaccinated. But none of that is going to happen - so we will look to buy the most effective masks for him to wear - and he will try and minimise the time he is in close proximity with the audience. But it is worrying.

And of course exactly the same worry is with all those not double-vaccinated who work in the hospitality sector and are now facing the risk of regular exposure to a potentially rampant delta variant indoors from the 19th. But hey. Freedom Day. Celebrate. Yeh right. For many maybe. Necessary maybe. Worrying for another many certainly.

Perhaps your son should look for a job with a few less risks - maybe the NHS or firefighting for instance.