Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course we are still going to be opening everything up before the majority of ‘gig-goers’ and those who work in venues have been double-vaccinated. Being younger and with the ‘I am invincible’ thinking of youth, I suspect many if not most will simply decide to take a chance and go to the gig - it’s their prerogative - their choice.

But for those who work in the venues and have not been double vaccinated - well they have to make the choice of work and income and taking a risk to their health, or turning the work down to protect their health and risk losing future work. I am not sure that that is a fair choice. I know what my son will feel forced to do - and that is work carrying the health risk.

Same choice and risk assessment as those (largely under 30) working in restaurants and bars will have to make unless masks are made a condition of entry.
You are making an assumption that masks are a major preventer of transmission. I think you are giving them more credit than they deserve.

My daughter is 18, got her first jab 2 days after her age group was called forward. Her second is mid Aug. That's the youngest group being done by then, bearing in mind they are largely unaffected by it. Those in their mid 20's and older should be done well before then and are still largely unaffected. Anyone vulnerable will have long been double jabbed.

I'm struggling to understand your view here. You have been wanting venues, gigs etc to be open so that your son can work again. Now it is happening you don't seem to want it. It's confusing.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You are making an assumption that masks are a major preventer of transmission. I think you are giving them more credit than they deserve.

In my opinion the greatest preventer of transmission has been working from home so you have had offices and public transport crammed with people. This was probably followed by the next biggest transmission point of schools, colleges and Universities being closed with remote learning.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion the greatest preventer of transmission has been working from home so you have had offices and public transport crammed with people. This was probably followed by the next biggest transmission point of schools, colleges and Universities being closed with remote learning.
Pretty much where people mix. Stop the mixing, reduce the spread. I'd agree with you.

Sajid Javid said today that he expects infections to jump after the 19th but as long as hospitalizations remain okay then things will continue open. It's that point of starting to have to live with this, staying closed doing more damage.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Of course we are still going to be opening everything up before the majority of ‘gig-goers’ and those who work in venues have been double-vaccinated. Being younger and with the ‘I am invincible’ thinking of youth, I suspect many if not most will simply decide to take a chance and go to the gig - it’s their prerogative - their choice.

But for those who work in the venues and have not been double vaccinated - well they have to make the choice of work and income and taking a risk to their health, or turning the work down to protect their health and risk losing future work. I am not sure that that is a fair choice. I know what my son will feel forced to do - and that is work carrying the health risk.

Same choice and risk assessment as those (largely under 30) working in restaurants and bars will have to make unless masks are made a condition of entry.

Which way do you want it; when he couldn't work his career was being stolen from him, now the clubs are opening he's being forced to go back. The powers that be can't do right for doing wrong according to you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Masks are a preventer, I'm not sure how major but they must have a big influence on reducing infection. If we consider a World where no one wore a mask then people would be projecting their breath further than when mask wearing, this would in my opinion create a greater spread of infection. I'm an Engineer, not a virologist but logic tells me that any barrier to a force will absorb and reduce it somewhat, of course the reduction will be proportional to the mass of the barrier.
Newton's Law of Inertia tells us:
Any object which is in motion, remains in motion unless an unbalanced force acts on it.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Pretty much where people mix. Stop the mixing, reduce the spread. I'd agree with you.

Sajid Javid said today that he expects infections to jump after the 19th but as long as hospitalizations remain okay then things will continue open. It's that point of starting to have to live with this, staying closed doing more damage.
Obviously don't want this to happen, but wonder what the thresholds may be to set the alarm bells..
5000 in hospital, 120 deaths in a day
?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously don't want this to happen, but wonder what the thresholds may be to set the alarm bells..
5000 in hospital, 120 deaths in a day
?
That is a question that decision makers across the world have faced from day 1. Who would want their job?

In a practical sense, when the ICU beds start to fill up and staff are prevented from carrying out regular tasks, being put onto covid wards.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Masks are a preventer, I'm not sure how major but they must have a big influence on reducing infection. If we consider a World where no one wore a mask then people would be projecting their breath further than when mask wearing, this would in my opinion create a greater spread of infection. I'm an Engineer, not a virologist but logic tells me that any barrier to a force will absorb and reduce it somewhat, of course the reduction will be proportional to the mass of the barrier.
Newton's Law of Inertia tells us:
Any object which is in motion, remains in motion unless an unbalanced force acts on it.

You are 100 per cent right in regard to droplets from breath. The 2 metre rule/guidance came in because of droplets. It was/is believed that droplets do not travel further than 2 metres ( still air).
But aerosol transmission is not stopped by masks. ( The sort we are talking about- not surgical/operating theatre masks).
The virus is also carried in the breath which clearly leaves the mouth and nose , mask or no mask, and travels about a room and , if not ventilated, circulates within that room. The virus is not filtered by the mask.
That why the Gov adverts on TV today ( Sky News) urge ventilating rooms etc.
So, where they work- wear masks. And if asked or it makes someone comfortable, wear a mask . As Prof Whitty says.
But they do have their limitations, mostly defined by where they are used.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am interested to see (I have no idea of the numbers) how America are doing? Most of their states are open

What are the stats?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just outta interest, obviously at the moment there’s a fair bit of Covid going around in schools. In a few weeks when the kids are off school. Are Covid rates forecast to go up or down. Or don’t they really know. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Which way do you want it; when he couldn't work his career was being stolen from him, now the clubs are opening he's being forced to go back. The powers that be can't do right for doing wrong according to you.
I am not criticising the powers that be - I - like others on here - am simply pointing out concerns and issues that some have over the lifting of the requirement to wear a mask.

But just to avoid misunderstanding.

I never said his career was being stolen from him - it was understandably being put on hold - the issue was that he was one of 3m who were not able to work due to the required government measures but, unlike many on furlough or in receipt of grants, were not receiving any support/compensation for their lost income. And that was very hard.

I am pleased that indoor venues will be able to open with no restrictions on numbers. I have a concern that those attending a venue might not have to wear a mask even although numbers of infections are increasing rapidly; I have concerns that this is being done before all under30s have had a chance to get a 2nd jag. Now I hope that is now all clear.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not criticising the powers that be - I - like others on here - am simply pointing out concerns and issues that some have over the lifting of the requirement to wear a mask.

But just to avoid misunderstanding.

I never said his career was being stolen from him - it was understandably being put on hold - the issue was that he was one of 3m who were not able to work due to the required government measures but, unlike many on furlough or in receipt of grants, were not receiving any support/compensation for their lost income. And that was very hard.

I am pleased that indoor venues will be able to open with no restrictions on numbers. I have a concern that those attending a venue might not have to wear a mask even although numbers of infections are increasing rapidly; I have concerns that this is being done before all under30s have had a chance to get a 2nd jag. Now I hope that is now all clear.

In all honesty though, do you think that people would go to clubs or gigs if they had to wear a mask indoors or sit at tables. The whole issue with that element of the hospitality industry is that it cannot really operate with any restrictions in place. That said most will have had the chance to have one if not both jabs of they got the bookings in quick.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me it seems a second gamble on the vaccine

The first paid off.. very much so...if it didn't would have added even more to the cost

I hope it pays off again..

Much as I moan about government I would hate to make these choices. Either way someone isn't happy and tbh those in power probably never thought they would be having to make these kind of decisions ...rather than the normal ones

So waiting and see. Hope it works for everyone's sake .. but it's got to be better than being basically under house arrest ... Almost like being in an open prison

4LEX

Visit site
This is a real life trial and a perfect time to do it.

School holidays, less kids mixing. High vaccine take up, quiet NHS period. If you can't unlock now it'll never happen.

Mass testing should cease and we should get back to normal and trust the vaccines. Those that haven't taken them aren't worth worrying about.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But there is no real reason why we shouldn't keep using masks and distancing until everyone who wants the double jab has got them.

Is it that hard to put a mask on and not invade other people's spaces to keep us all a little bit safer for a little bit longer?

Clearly distancing is being removed to get business back on track rather than limit their capacity

However I don't see why we can't just wear masks. It's really bit that much effort

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This is a real life trial and a perfect time to do it.

School holidays, less kids mixing. High vaccine take up, quiet NHS period. If you can't unlock now it'll never happen.

Mass testing should cease and we should get back to normal and trust the vaccines. Those that haven't taken them aren't worth worrying about.

Agreed.

The news this morning suggests new infections may rise to as high as 100k per day. A government advisor says maybe double that.

So the government clearly has total faith in the vaccine program. If it had doubts, July 19 would not be happening.

It really is that simple.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
In all honesty though, do you think that people would go to clubs or gigs if they had to wear a mask indoors or sit at tables. The whole issue with that element of the hospitality industry is that it cannot really operate with any restrictions in place. That said most will have had the chance to have one if not both jabs of they got the bookings in quick.

Why can’t it operate with restrictions in place? Why can’t masks be worn indoors?

Here in Spain, masks must be worn if not sat at a table. No dancing. 50% capacity. No more than 10 at a table. There isn’t 100% compliance but it’s not far off.