Controversy in the group

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We completed the annual handicap review a couple of weeks ago including reviewing all 27/28 handicappers .

One guy in the group had his handicap increased to 39 (best adjusted gross last year was 120). He played for the first time yesterday at his new handicap level and shot 43 points (39 points is playing to handicap off yellows) (all temp greens and thus a short course).

The moans from a couple of the guys were simply a bit unbelievable. I was going to retort but kept my mouth shut until they had gone.

These guys have also been known to shoot 42/43 points but you never hear them say "my handicap is too high".

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
So effectively his new handicap has made him competitive. That's what the system is for. To moan after one game is petty. It takes a few games to see what his average is. As you say, they've had 42/43 points. We all have good and bad games.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We completed the annual handicap review a couple of weeks ago including reviewing all 27/28 handicappers .

One guy in the group had his handicap increased to 39 (best adjusted gross last year was 120). He played for the first time yesterday at his new handicap level and shot 43 points (39 points is playing to handicap off yellows) (all temp greens and thus a short course).

The moans from a couple of the guys were simply a bit unbelievable. I was going to retort but kept my mouth shut until they had gone.

These guys have also been known to shoot 42/43 points but you never hear them say "my handicap is too high".

I appreciate it probably wasn't a qualifier but what would his reduction be for 4 under SS off 39?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A hc of 39? That means he can get a 9 for 1??

Does he have 2 arms an 2 legs? 😆

I know now they want to make golf more inclusive but imagine a four ball of 39 handicappers in front of a group of scratch golfers. How is that for speeding up the game? I think you’d be pushing as many people away as introducing them

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Does he have 2 arms an 2 legs? 

I know now they want to make golf more inclusive but imagine a four ball of 39 handicappers in front of a group of scratch golfers. How is that for speeding up the game? I think you’d be pushing as many people away as introducing them

Hope you're ready for a long game IF (when) i get stuck in a pot bunker mate :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Does he have 2 arms an 2 legs? 😆

My guess is they would still be in the club house 30 minutes before the scratch guys.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same people playing the course as currently in this case - as already suggested I would put my money on the scratch group losing ground in a stableford; not them being held up!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jim,

Unlucky. You can only do the right thing for the right reasons, and there's absolutely no point getting involved in the debate!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today our first player to be awarded an initial 28+ handicap of 41 played in his first ever comp. He came in with a Bogey score of -5 and was absolutely delighted. He was well into the lower half of his division and even had the cheek to beat me (-6).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

One guy in the group had his handicap increased to 39 (best adjusted gross last year was 120). He played for the first time yesterday at his new handicap level and shot 43 points (39 points is playing to handicap off yellows (all temp greens and thus a short course).

So, he shot 4 better than handicap? Who's not done that? Me see no problem here ...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Does he have 2 arms an 2 legs? 

It does not matter about the time. He is a long term member and is going to be slow regardless of his handicap, at least he is quick getting from shot to shot. He loses a lot of the shots on the green because of his very poor putting. He is by far not the slowest player in the group, that honour goes to someone with an 11 handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the most noticeable things about pace of play is that our group follows the group with the most single figure handicaps in the group. This weekend they all decided to play our nine hole course. That saved nearly an hour on our normal time for a round and the very high handicapper was in the leading group.

What I cannot believe when I follow some of the single figure players is that fact that the laser comes out on virtually every shot in to the green on a course that many have played for nearly as long as me. My laser comes out maybe 4 times in a round on my home course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You made the correct adjustment and he's competitive off a shortened course. Can't see a problem. We've discussed to potential pace of play issues but yet to see any evidence of it making any difference and those having gone into previously uncharted handicap levels taking any longer. Maybe he's found his level and playing with more freedom and confidence

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had four 28+ handicappers in the comp today. The draw put them all in different groups and not one of their groups caused a hold up. The only group which had to call the group behind through had 2 Cat 2s in it.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicap has nothing to do with pace of play. It’s how players go about their routine that dictates pace.
The worse 2 players at our club are a father and son. Father plays of 24, son off 3. (We have 1 other guy that is really slow, but knows he is. He’s super yippy and takes forever to pull the trigger over a shot, but is the quickest player I know inbetween shots to level things out)