Consistency Into My Scoring

Stella Gas

Visit site
I am looking for some golfing advise on getting some consistency into my scoring.

I currently play off 12 (playing twice a week during the summer) and regular score between 32 to 36 points.

My problem is that I can play 14 holes as a single H’cap golfer but I seem to struggle on 3 to 4 holes in every round. This is down to a combination of poor club selection or a poor shot usually down to lack on concentration.

I would welcome any advice on how I can play all 18 holes well instead of just 14 or 15 !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am simply trying to play one shot at a time and as long as I stand over the ball and feel I can accept the outcome good bad or indifferent before I hit it then thats all I can do. After that, find it and hit it again. Are you getting ahead of yourself when you play well and trying to work out what you might score. If the bad holes are at the end it might be a part cause or it might be as simple as you being tired and dehydrated

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am looking for some golfing advise on getting some consistency into my scoring.

I currently play off 12 (playing twice a week during the summer) and regular score between 32 to 36 points.

My problem is that I can play 14 holes as a single H’cap golfer but I seem to struggle on 3 to 4 holes in every round. This is down to a combination of poor club selection or a poor shot usually down to lack on concentration.

I would welcome any advice on how I can play all 18 holes well instead of just 14 or 15 !

Bit 'chicken and egg' here!
Option 1
You are a 12-capper because you are a bit inconsistent and that inconsistency hurts you on 3 or 4 holes. On the other holes, your inconsistency doesn't hurt you significanly.
Option 2
You are a single figure golfer who has occasional lapses - on some holes

Option 1 is the most likely.
Consistency tends to come from a simple, tension free swing - provided you can hit it far enough! Practice help!

If it's Option 2, then you have to work out why those lapses occur. Fitness? Energy? Dehydration? Boredom? External influences?

In both options poor club selection and lack of concentration can result in poor shots!

Stella Gas

Visit site
Thanks for taking time to comment, my ball striking is generally decent , I play with a number of single Handicappers and hit as well and accuratly as them , its just the 3 to 4 bad holes a round , not down to one paricular part of my game , could be a poor tee shot , iron shot , chip or putt.

I know i can be become single figures but need to play well over all 18 holes , my fitness is fine , I think concentration (or lack of) of is the problem).

Does anyone have preshot routine to get them focused ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On your bad holes, does one bad shot lead to another because you can't forget it?

If you hit a bad shot it's gone. You haven't got to make amends for it the very next shot or do something spectacular to make par.
After a bad shot your thought process should be "what do I have to do to make sure I score no worse than bogey".

Bogeys don't ruin cards, but chasing pars with 1 in 10 shots that lead to doubles and trebles does.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On your bad holes, does one bad shot lead to another because you can't forget it?

If you hit a bad shot it's gone. You haven't got to make amends for it the very next shot or do something spectacular to make par.
After a bad shot your thought process should be "what do I have to do to make sure I score no worse than bogey".

Bogeys don't ruin cards, but chasing pars with 1 in 10 shots that lead to doubles and trebles does.

Wish I could think like that every time I found myself in that situation. :mmm:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone's handicap is due to those 3 holes every round.
Sorry , but you are chasing the same thing that every one of us is chasing.
even when you get to 9, you will still have the same issue - it will just be the 3 doubles every round that you will then be trying to get rid of.
Personally, for what it's worth, here's my tuppence
- play for fairways off the tee, not distance
- be prepared to lay up on par 4s when there are bunkers both sides for anything less than a 5 iron
- when you are in the crap, don't chase the pin with your next shot
- be satisfied with any result closer than 10% of your distance, don't expect to achieve better on any shot
And finally
-shorter your backswing
-use a belly putter for as long as they are legal :)

Good luck

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Consistency is the Holy Grail of all golfers from Tiger Woods right down the the guy who has just started.

Most days you don't have it but on the days you do , you'll hit a PB or win a board comp/major.

Learn to accept this and enjoy the golf for the great game it is.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've found that focussing on Stableford points, instead of gross score, has helped me accept my limitations, and find some satisfaction in scoring - this has helped me find consistency with my gross scores too.

My last 10 rounds

My first five were chasing low scores on holes where I was already in trouble (more often than not) - 105, 103, 97, 95, 106

That's pretty much how i've played golf for the last 12 months - too many trebles, too many quadruples, the occasional birdie or par.

My last 5 rounds, played in the last fortnight, i've been focussing on how to score stableford points. Accepting bogey's as my limitation, and accepting with delight the pars when they come along, and when you're playing with freedom, it's amazing how often they do come along.

My last 5 rounds: 94, 98, 93, 92, 92 - Unheard of for me. The last round included 2 trebles, and a quadruple, so you can still score well with a couple of shockers.

My PB is 88 which was made up of a front 9 of 50 (+14) and a back 9 of 38 (+2) - that was over a year ago, and i've been trying to recreate that back 9 ever since.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, for what it's worth, here's my tuppence
- play for fairways off the tee, not distance
- be prepared to lay up on par 4s when there are bunkers both sides for anything less than a 5 iron
- when you are in the crap, don't chase the pin with your next shot
- be satisfied with any result closer than 10% of your distance, don't expect to achieve better on any shot
And finally
-shorter your backswing
-use a belly putter for as long as they are legal :)

Good luck

I really like this piece of advice, excellent thought.
I realy don't like this piece of advice, but that's just me I guess.

Slime.