Considering replacing my R7 Irons

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Considering replacing my R7 irons for my birthday at the end of the month.

These irons have got me down to my current handicap and, if I'm being honest, could probably get me a little lower but are starting to look a little tired and, me being a magpie (I.E liking shiny things) I may be tempted into something new(er)

Over the last few months, the amount of offset in the heads has began to play on my mind a little at address. Never used to have an issue with the off set, but just lately I'm starting to wish it wasn't there, or at least, drastically reduced.

To this end, I've been looking at a few irons and have narrowed the selection to 2

Taylormade R9 TP's (With KBS Tour shafts)

or

Mizuno MP-52's (With TT DG R300)

Being honest, I am leaning towards the Mizuno's but I'm just curious of people opinions on here on these 2 iron sets?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Make sure you demo either set first. Your current shafts are a good bit lighter than the KBS Tour or TT DG shafts.

Try the shaft optimiser at a Mizuno dealer and that will give you an idea what shaft to consider. The R9 (non-TP) have the KBS 90 gram shaft, and that may be worth considering also.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Make sure you demo either set first. Your current shafts are a good bit lighter than the KBS Tour or TT DG shafts.

Try the shaft optimiser at a Mizuno dealer and that will give you an idea what shaft to consider. The R9 (non-TP) have the KBS 90 gram shaft, and that may be worth considering also.

I did look at that Ethan. The R7 irons I have play a 90g shaft, as you say similar to the R9 (non TP).

I have the Mizzy MP Fli-Hi 3 iron currently with the TT DG R300 shaft (Which from memory is around the 125g mark) and can hit that pretty well and find the flight just right.

My local AG has the Mizuno Swing DNA so that will be getting used for sure :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don’t be too fast…..make sure you are 100% before you change. R7ns are good irons, even the non TP model.

Dont be fooled by the bling.....

Tommo, you're bang on.

I've always said it will take something special to get them out of my bag. "If" I decide I want something a little new, I'll only take them out if the replacements offer more than they do.

Be it distance, dispersion, or better spin/launch rates on a launch monitor.

I'm not going to change for the sake of it or because the off set no longer suits my eye. Just looking at the options that may give me a little more than they do

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just got the TM TP CB's with dynamic gold XP S300 shafts. The best clubs I have had. I always had a low ball flight, but with these I get med/high flight, so more carry.

S

Snelly

Yes get new clubs. It should cut your handicap in half by about August. Oh no, hang on.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I was in your shoes I'd definitely be giving the R11's a go too. I think these are a step up from the R9 and even the R9TP

How so Homer?

I had the R9's for a while (not TP's) and the ball flight ballooned and the face was big and uwieldly and to be honest I didn't think the level of forgiveness was that great compared to the Tour Burners I'd upgraded from. Ditched the R9's rapidly when offered a set of the 2008 TP's at a price I couldn't say no to. They were great but as my game has gone off the smaller heads and less cavity are just proving to be too hard to it regularly which is why I went to the R11. Not a silly big head, decent sized cavity and distance feel and forgiveness. I like to try new gear and so hit a lot of clubs last year but the R11 were the best club I tried by a long way

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes get new clubs. It should cut your handicap in half by about August. Oh no, hang on.....

...... And finally it seems the breeze of insanity gas blown through his head.

Did I mention once I expected some form of handicap reduction from the new gear?

S

Snelly

...... And finally it seems the breeze of insanity gas blown through his head.

Did I mention once I expected some form of handicap reduction from the new gear?

So you just want to change for the sake of it? So you can have some new clubs?

What is the point if it won't improve your game?

And I am not sure what you mean about head gas..... too cryptic for me..

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you just want to change for the sake of it? So you can have some new clubs?

What is the point if it won't improve your game?

And I am not sure what you mean about head gas..... too cryptic for me..

Bloody predictive text. Was meant to say has.

No not a change fir the sake of it. Maybe looking for something with a little less off set that's all.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am gazing into my crystal ball:

You will buy the Mizunos.

About two months after that, it will bug you that you have TM wedges.

You will then buy some Mizuno wedges.

I didn't even ask you to cross my palm with silver. :D

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes. This is how it will happen!

Gareth, you could do a lot worse than the MP-57's being sold for £150 in the for sale section! If I can hit them, anyone can!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Yes. This is how it will happen!

Gareth, you could do a lot worse than the MP-57's being sold for £150 in the for sale section! If I can hit them, anyone can!

I'm not sure how to take that :mmm:

In all fairness, you're probably right :D but I've got some serious thinking to do.

Like I've said on this thread, and previous, it will take something pretty special to get me to change my irons.

Probably a deal that I'll find too good to refuse.