Confused Slice and Hook

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys

I've reached a point in my golf where i am now confused. I have been playing since April 2010 and in June 2010 brought a standard set of Taylormade SuperLaunch irons as didn't know anything about custom fitting. I was getting on fine with them and have got my handicap down from 28 to 26.

I have always had a slice/fade with my driver and woods but now developed a hook with my irons and cant seem to find out why. I have moved closer to the ball at address as i was reaching too much, I feel that i have OK swing as i can hit good shots from 9 iron to my Wedge.

My question is would moving closer to the ball be causing the hook or would it be a good idea to be custom fitted with some new clubs.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Standing nearer would normally make the swing a bit more upright so you'd be more inclined to fade it.
Are the grips on your irons the same as your woods or thinner?

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bob you have made me think now i think they are the same as they are both normal grips that came with the clubs but i will look tonight to confirm.

I moved closer due to my arms not hanging straight down at address.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the ball starts straight then bends right your swingpath is coming inside the clubface direction. If it starts straight and turns left then the swingpath is coming outside the clubface direction.

Clubface determins the balls initial direction and swingpath any sidespin created.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
{Clubface determins the balls initial direction and swingpath any sidespin created.}

Should'nt that be the other way round???

Swingpath= direction

Face open= slice

Face close= hook

If I was to hit out to in with a square club face that would be a pull. If you then add a open club face. It would start off as a pull then, fade or slice back into the fairway.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
{Clubface determins the balls initial direction and swingpath any sidespin created.}

Should'nt that be the other way round???

Swingpath= direction

Face open= slice

Face close= hook

If I was to hit out to in with a square club face that would be a pull. If you then add a open club face. It would start off as a pull then, fade or slice back into the fairway.

Absolutely not. This what people have taught but it is wrong. The ball will always take off mainly in the direction of the clubface, swingpath that is inside or outside the clubface direction will create sidespin.

Out to in with the clubface square to the swingpath will create a pull. Out to in with the clubface square to target will create a fade or slice depending on the difference between the two.

Read 'D PLANE' for an understanding of the physics.

Watch this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEHiY5iv5u4

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This was taught for many years.
The ball starts in the direction of the swing path. It then moved to the left or right depending on where the club face pointed.
After high speed cameras were used to watch the ball, it was seen that that wasn't the case.
Both the swing and clubface affect the direction and spin on the ball but it is now recognised the ball starts nearer to the clubface direction rather than the swing path.
If you imagine the swing path is straight and the clubface is 30 degrees open, the ball will start roughly 20 degrees right of straight...so the ball is influenced 1/3 swing path and 2/3rds clubface.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry still have to disagree on this one with you.

This is a really important thing to understand.

Dont disagree with me, it's the physics you disagree with. Try it for yourself, take a putter and keeing the face pointing forward cut across the ball from in to out, or out to in. The ball will leave the face square.

Read up on the 'New Ball Flight Rules' or 'D Plane' Try it out yourself and see what happens. I am a good shaper of the ball now I understand the real way it works, I was always hitting it into the trees when doing the way you suggest.

You saw the video I posted showing a ball leaving a square clubface when the path was cutting across it. Here is another video with Michael Breed explaining what happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sOnqtoUddY

Last edited:

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you try a put with an exagerated open stance and swing along the line but keep the face square to the hole the ball will run at the hole but with sidespin and fade to the right. I imagine it is no different with irons and woods.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you try a put with an exagerated open stance and swing along the line but keep the face square to the hole the ball will run at the hole but with sidespin and fade to the right. I imagine it is no different with irons and woods.

Absolutely.