Compulsory Xmas meal!

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
the real worry is a three course meal for 15 quid! whats that like, melon balls, pie & chips and a slice of Neapolitan ice cream!

It's xmas dinner !!!! Used to be a great day at my last place. Daft xmas jumpers all over the course. :D It's wasn't 25 quid though !!!! LOL

sunshine

Visit site
It's not compulsory. It's a social event... Christmas dinner and a "fun" scramble. £25 sounds very reasonable.

Reading some of the posts above it sounds as if there has been a spate of muggings in the area. The suspect resembles the GM. :rolleyes:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A Scramble? For a tenner??? I don't play scrambles if they're free!!!!!!

I'd be asking if there was a dinner only option.

I played once behind an Xmas comp (visiting another course) was advised that it might be a tad slow due to an Xmas comp. I was meeting up with friends (also visitors at this club) who I hadn't seen for a while so was looking forward to the company more than the golf. Turned out the format was a mixed 2-ball scramble. So ahead of us was a fourball...2 blokes, 2 ladies, in buggies. Given that it was a mixed scramble you'd have thought that the man and lady in each pair would have shared a buggy....oh no....the two blokes shared one buggy with the women in the other. Slow? After 3 holes I thought there was a chance that I might need to adjust my watch for British Summer Time.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm probably closer to the car park golfer ;) but don't see an issue with it. May make it harder for me to play but if free I'd join in.

As a one off event, if they've taken the approach it's compulsory then fair enough. Perhaps they'll find they still fill all places, but have a better atmosphere for after and prize giving, which will also boost revenue. If 50% of people get feeling its optional and didn't join, then they may have found the Xmas festivity element had gone so it just feel like a standard scramble. Whether it does fill the places or not, the club will have to see.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems a bit of confusion.

The original option was either £10 per player to enter the comp or £25 per player to enter comp with dinner. To be fair it’s a light starter, carvery and desert so the cost of the meal is fair in my opinion.

My gripe which seems echoed now is that if you play in the comp you have to pay for the meal, doesn’t matter whether you eat it or not.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Imo if the club wanted everyone attending the meal then changing it to 20 all in would have been better. If everyone goes then obviously the costs for them per head will decrease. Unless they're genuinely gonna double/triple staff for the day. Seems a cheap way to earn extra cash at members expense.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our biggest Shotgun Start comps had 'optional meal' at a reasonable cost but it had so few takers that the caterers said we could not offer it.

The only one where it is included with entry is our Club Championship but that is reasonable cost BBQ with a salad.