Comps question

Funladygolfer

Visit site
My club run a competition which you can play in every day and your best card is entered into the competition, should this be a non qualifying competition?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club run a competition which you can play in every day and your best card is entered into the competition, should this be a non qualifying competition?
How many days involved? Ming you under WHS protcols I'd have thought every card should be Q. Maybe your Club needs to review such a Comp.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The cards should be qualifying for handicap purposes on a daily basis.
There will a separate Playing Conditions Calculation for each day on the assumption that at least 8 cards are submitted from all players not just those in the comp.

As to the comp it is up to the club to decide the winners and can be nothing to do with handicaps.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There will a separate Playing Conditions Calculation for each day on the assumption that at least 8 cards are submitted from all players not just those in the comp.

As to the comp it is up to the club to decide the winners and can be nothing to do with handicaps.
Just a question regarding comps.
My club has prefered lies in the general area ( everywhere) except hazards.
We are picking and placing in the Bunkers.
Do these scores count in your WHS handicap scores?
A lot said they should not.
Thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a question regarding comps.
My club has prefered lies in the general area ( everywhere) except hazards.
We are picking and placing in the Bunkers.
Do these scores count in your WHS handicap scores?
A lot said they should not.
Thanks.

They do not. Model local E-3 rule only allows areas cut to fairway height or less

Guidance on the Rules of Handicapping GH/1

When a club determines that conditions warrant the implementation of preferred lies within the preferred lie period it must refer to the Rules of Golf Model Local Rule E-3 of the Committee Procedures.
Scores returned when preferred lies are in operation will be valid as Acceptable Scores only when a Local Rule has been made and published in accordance with Rules of Golf Model Local Rule E-3 of the Committee Procedures as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are allowed (by Local Rule E2) to have lift clean and replace in areas not cut to fairway height but not place. It is recommended that E2 is limited to specified areas though to avoid it being used in appropriately.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picking and placing within 6 inches in a bunker is allowed by local rule but not one club length.

Last edited:

Funladygolfer

Visit site

Ok thanks could you tell me if under the new system we will get a lift or reduction after every card we submit as we do now or is the new system different

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok thanks could you tell me if under the new system we will get a lift or reduction after every card we submit as we do now or is the new system different

With the WHS the round will be added to your handicap record and may or may not affect your Handicap Index depending on your own personal handicap record.

With the WHS if you have submitted a qualifying score you have to check your Handicap Index next time you play. If you have less than 15 scores on your record any score may affect your Handicap Index by quite a bit.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
WHS is based on the average of the best 8 of the player's last 20 scores.
It is slightly different if a player has fewer than 20 scores.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One thing to add

As this is a running competition the committee should have decided if your Handicap Index is to remain the same throughout the competition but any changes will affect anything else you play in.