Compressor recommendations

Mandofred

Visit site
Thinking about switching to a compressor to change grips. Any recommendations? Not too cheap of one, I had one of those a few years ago and returned it because it was so bad. It will make it easier for me to check my tyres as well......tired of pay .50p at the local (yeah, I know.....50p is not a lot of money).

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont forget the fittings and such you will need as well.:)
Just remember not to yurn it off before the shut off valve has kicked in, and periodically drain off the condensation water from the tank:)

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I have used my compressor to change grips before but have found a much better method. I use a grip length thin screwdriver (welding rod or coat hanger would do) and tease the grip open while poring solvent down the gap. Work the screwdriver round and down the grip while keeping it lubricated until it is loose and pull off. Using air risks the grip blowing up like a balloon and becoming baggy.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a large capacity compressor for air tools etc. but still use a Stanley knife with a hooked blade to remove grips. It's far faster and unless you are wanting to re-use the grips a bit of a faff.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have used my compressor to change grips before but have found a much better method. I use a grip length thin screwdriver (welding rod or coat hanger would do) and tease the grip open while poring solvent down the gap. Work the screwdriver round and down the grip while keeping it lubricated until it is loose and pull off. Using air risks the grip blowing up like a balloon and becoming baggy.
Hold a piece of 32mm pipe over the grip when you inflate it. It stops the ballooning/bursting of the grip.It may seem a faff, but it makes removing the grip a doddle and means you don't waste any materials or risk cutting yourself;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have a LIDL or ALDI near you keep an eye out for their deals. I have seen them in there from time to time.

Just under £100 (cheapest) seems about the price from other sources such as Tool Station or Screwfix.

You could look at the second hand market on ebay.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve used a foot pump before with zero issues.

Popped them off no problem.

Significantly cheaper too i would assume.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've previously used a hypodermic syringe with WD40 in it.
Pierce the old grip in a few places and squeeze a bit of WD40 in and just twist the grip for a few seconds before sliding it off.
Job done.

Mandofred

Visit site
It looks like that £100 range is where a decent one starts. I want something to top up my car tyres as well. I can afford it.....I was just hoping there were pretty good compressors for less......fantasy land I guess.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It looks like that £100 range is where a decent one starts. I want something to top up my car tyres as well. I can afford it.....I was just hoping there were pretty good compressors for less......fantasy land I guess.

I have a standard 12v air pump for my tyres these days. It probably would work but as I keep it in the car and would need a 12v source it is easier for me to get the compressor out of the shed . The 12v air pumps are only about £10