Comparison of shafts

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
great reading fella's...

One point though.... Why is it such a bad thing to get my own shafts changed out.... I see in a couple of posts above that im being recommended to just find a different set with the 6.0's in them already....

Are clubs never the same after a shaft change.

No they'll be just fine, as long as it's a pro-fitter, only difference will be the one you want from the shafts you changed too.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
You should give the Ping CFS distance a try ;)

Nice shaft and PING's standard offering I think.

... chances are that the S300's were just a tad too stiff

The S300 is 10g heavier than the Project X and will require a lot of loading to get it to bend in order to launch the ball, at a recent fitting I tried the S300 stiff and it felt like I was swinging a broom shank.

So saying you felt like you had to work harder in order to get the ball to do anything, would be right with the S300.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The S300 is 10g heavier than the Project X and will require a lot of loading to get it to bend in order to launch the ball, at a recent fitting I tried the S300 stiff and it felt like I was swinging a broom shank.

So saying you felt like you had to work harder in order to get the ball to do anything, would be right with the S300.

That does not compute! PX are significantly harder to 'bend' - boardier - even at same flex. And S300 is (slightly) softer flex than PX6.0 Flighted. Though the weight difference might have a small effect.

It depends on other attributes of the swing as to whether PX or S300 works better. PX is definitely designed for a 'hitter' rather than a 'swinger'.

Are the lofts of the heads the same?

Last edited:

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Well I payed £300 for my irons 2 1/2 years ago. Bought second hand project x 6.0 shafts for £80 then fitting and grips came in around £80 iirc.

so that was £460 they cost me all in and I just sold them for £140 2 weeks ago.

I could have sold my irons back then for £200 plus and get a set of irons with the shafts I was looking for, for the same money

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
That does not compute! PX are significantly harder to 'bend' - boardier - even at same flex. And S300 is (slightly) softer flex than PX6.0 Flighted. Though the weight difference might have a small effect.

It depends on other attributes of the swing as to whether PX or S300 works better. PX is definitely designed for a 'hitter' rather than a 'swinger'.

Wilson Lofts and lies Pal....

Club Loft Length Lie Angle
#3 21° 39.25" 59.5°
#4 24° 38.75" 60°
#5 27° 38.25" 61°
#6 31° 37.75" 61.5°
#7 35° 37.25" 62°
#8 39° 36.75" 63°
#9 43° 36.25" 63.5°
PW 47° 35.75" 64°

Adams....

http://http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/problack_cb1.php#

My Wilsons seem to be a degree weaker through the set.....

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

Heavier shafts will have slightly thicker wall structure, so what maybe a stiff 95g shaft could potentially be the same as a 115g regular shaft, due to the heavier shaft having a thicker wall construction.

In this instance the Project X are designed to give a low launch, but being lighter than the S300 they should feel easier to swing. Kid says he felt had to swing with more effort to get the same result out of the S300, a 10g difference is shaft weight is a lot. What also made a big difference is the grip size, the heavier shaft with the feeling of strangling the club will make the Wilson feel like a lot more effort is going into swing them. The lighter shafted Adams with a large grip and thus a relaxed Kid2 will make them feel easier to swing.

Perhaps trying the Wilson with a lighter shaft and larger grip will yield a nice improvement?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heavier shafts will have slightly thicker wall structure, so what maybe a stiff 95g shaft could potentially be the same as a 115g regular shaft, due to the heavier shaft having a thicker wall construction.

In this instance the Project X are designed to give a low launch, but being lighter than the S300 they should feel easier to swing. Kid says he felt had to swing with more effort to get the same result out of the S300, a 10g difference is shaft weight is a lot. What also made a big difference is the grip size, the heavier shaft with the feeling of strangling the club will make the Wilson feel like a lot more effort is going into swing them. The lighter shafted Adams with a large grip and thus a relaxed Kid2 will make them feel easier to swing.

Perhaps trying the Wilson with a lighter shaft and larger grip will yield a nice improvement?

Going to try the grips anyway first... I have 9 new tour velvet standard size at .58.
Those with one rap of tape on a .60 diameter shafts are i think 1/64 over standard which is nearly a midsize.... But my mate had 2 wraps of masking tape plus 1 grip tape on his rifles so im going to try this first with the Wilsons.... In fairness they owe me nothing at this stage... And the 9 grips were only 35 euro....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly try the larger grips - I hadn't noticed that in the OP.

Be aware that traditionally, a thicker grip promotes a little holding off (for want of a better term), though you may be doing that unconsciously to counter the effect of the 'too thin' grips you may have!

And while the PX is lighter than the S300s, it's by no means a light shaft (120gms I believe). From my experience, I think it's the boardiness of the PXs that gives the impression of being easier to swing. They are certainly designed for 'low dispersion'

And have you considered the 'quality' of the test? Different Heads/lofts; Different Grips; Different shafts; Swing weights not compared but specs are so close to not matter. Wilsons are 1/4" longer by spec. The Wilsons are designed for a penetrating (low) flight. The Adams are Mid-High. All done at night under lights with Range balls. Pretty tricky to really sort out what the different 'feel, is caused by!

So while you may not be 'one for custom fitting', that's the area you are heading into!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PX boardy ? Really? Mine feel sweet and smooth, the r300 offer up nothing of note, the s300s felt rough or boardy. Strange really how others perceive stuff. The nspro was similar but just a little too soft feeling compared to the PX

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
PX boardy ? Really? Mine feel sweet and smooth, the r300 offer up nothing of note, the s300s felt rough or boardy. Strange really how others perceive stuff. The nspro was similar but just a little too soft feeling compared to the PX

Yep! See Ethan's post #17 for the history.

What flex? 5.0 or 5.5 Flighted?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Like I said, some people find them boardy, but others don't. I think the more of a hitter you are, the less likely you will be to find them boardy.