Comp over two days, 2 CSSs or not?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My wife's club has some comps split over 2 days, eg this week, Saturday and Tuesday. (Tues normal Ladies day, and weekend times for those who work for a living!)

Anyway , my Mrs comes home well pleased with her 38 points. Looking forward to the comp closing on Tuesday night so she can see what she has been cut. Just took a call from her to say she got cut one full shot today...

...So, comp still in play on Tuesday and clearly the CSS for Sat has been calculated,

So, looks like its "one comp" but a "CSS for each day"............ a new one on me. Is this usual? ... I can see why it might be logical!

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, we play 2 events (Spring Cup & Autumn Cup) each year. Both are treated as two separate rounds for handicap purposes, but the competitions themselves are over both rounds. Normally the handicap cut doesn't affect the second round, ie both rounds are played off the starting handicap of round 1 for the net prize purpose.

DCB

Visit site
Yes, usual and proper way of doing it. We have an alternative medal on the Friday and the medal on the Saturday and each day has its own CSS calculated but it's the one comp.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yip different css to reflect different conditions on each day. Of course no corresponding adjustment to competition scores to reflect that, or the fact they may have played a different course. I hate the whole concept of alternate day medals.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Our club champ is 36 hole - 18 holes one day 18 holes the other. Two different CSS. So you get cut each day or up .1 each day. But you play off the same handicap for both days.

However my understanding is CSS is calculated over 18 holes only. So for example a 36 hole will always have two CSS - Whether its played over two's days or one!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Many a club used to run comps over both days of the weekend, lump all the cards together on Monday morning and close the comp.
It used to annoy me if I was playing on the cold, windy, rainy day and others played on the calm, sunny day...
But that's how it was done.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's still done

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many a club used to run comps over both days of the weekend, lump all the cards together on Monday morning and close the comp.
It used to annoy me if I was playing on the cold, windy, rainy day and others played on the calm, sunny day...
But that's how it was done.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's still done

happens monday to friday in the midweek comp at ours, luck of the draw and worth it to allow more people to play than fixing it to say Wednesday afternoon as plenty do

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is quite common practice for a comp to be held over more than one day but the player retains their handicap as at the start of the competition for the next round.

However it is necessary for the CSS to be calculated for the first round as the player may play in another comp between rounds and would have to play in that at their revised handicap if it has changed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife's club has some comps split over 2 days, eg this week, Saturday and Tuesday. (Tues normal Ladies day, and weekend times for those who work for a living!)
This is called an Alternate Day competition. Very popular in Ladies' Sections. Very rare in Men's Sections.

Alternate Day Competition
An Alternate Day Competition is a Qualifying Competition that allows players unable to play
on the main competition date e.g. due to work commitments to participate in the same
competition, on an alternate date(s). A separate Competition Scratch Score is calculated for
each day of an Alternate Day Competition.

Dec.4(a) Alteration of handicaps in the course of a competition over more than one round
In a Stroke Play or Match Play competition played over more than one round, the Committee in
charge, in the Conditions of the Competition, are required to establish whether or not the handicap of
a player at the start of the competition applies throughout the competition.
In framing the conditions of a competition played over more than one round, the following guidelines
are recommended.
1. In a competition such as a 36hole or 72-hole competition played in the same day or over a number
of days within a short period of time the handicap of a player applying at the beginning of a
competition shall apply throughout the duration of the competition.
2. In a competition where individual rounds are over an extended period of time and there has been
the opportunity to compete in other unrelated competitions between rounds, a player must play from
the handicap current at the time of entry for each of the individual rounds of the competition.
This would apply for example, in a competition where a prize is awarded for:
(a) the best nett aggregate in the Spring, Summer and Autumn meetings each of which was a
separate competition in its own right; or
(b) the best nett aggregate in a specified number of Monthly Medal competitions.
3. In a match play competition in which the rounds are played on successive days to establish a
winner the original handicap applies throughout the competition.
4. In a match play competition in which the individual rounds have a ‘to be played by’ date over an
extended period of time, a player should play from the handicap current at the time of each match
play round.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club calculate 2 separate CSS scores for both our Friday and Saturday comp, same comp 1 winner, which is ok.

But shouldn't the winner be based on the most under the CSS score on whatever day.

For example on the Friday the CSS is 72, lowest net score is 69 = 3 under the CSS,

and then on the Saturday the CSS is 71, lowest net score is 69 = 2 under the CSS

Should there be a count back, or should the most under CSS win, ????