Commando to Golf Pro

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys ive set myself a new mission as ive just left the Royal Marines and would love to pursue my dream of one day becoming a coach/pro. I would greatly apprcieate any tips and advice and also your views as to whether it can be done?I will be documenting my progress on my Blog if you would like to take a look.http://commando-to-golf-pro.blogspot.co.uk/

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi FairwayDodger

thank you for the fast response, i was never aware of Thongchai,s achievement but a truly inspirational one!

I will keep this in the back of my mind when I encounter the dark days!

Thanks again.

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi bobmac

I notice your located in lincolnshire, we are planning to move to Lincoln this summer, is there any recommened courses, or golf pro's in the area?

No official handicap at the moment however im averaging a score of 85 of par 72 course near me and my current coach thinks i can comfortably get to low single figures with our current swing changes which i will post on my blog.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi bobmac

I notice your located in lincolnshire, we are planning to move to Lincoln this summer, is there any recommened courses, or golf pro's in the area?

No official handicap at the moment however im averaging a score of 85 of par 72 course near me and my current coach thinks i can comfortably get to low single figures with our current swing changes which i will post on my blog.

Hi Louis welcome along , have a peek at second line in Bobs Sig .. he is a pro .. helps alot of people on here , be on a winner with Bobs help id say , and im sure 99% on here will agree .. he will be too modest to say that to you tho ..

Oh & youl get honest apraisal of where you are & what you need to do ..

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi bobmac

Modesty will probably forbid him to say so, but bob is a pro. Doubtless you will also hear of his invention, the V-easy. Bob is an all round good egg, with a haircut to match (so I`m told)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your quest.

Edit: Great minds and all that Bladeplayer

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of golf courses around ranging from £360 ish a year up to a lot more for the likes of Woodhall Spa.
I believe the average membership is around £600.
Plenty of pros to choose from too.
Good luck with the career move. It will be tough but 4.4 is your target
Good luck

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for your comments MG and Bobmac,

I am aiming for the magic 4 handicap to then apply for the foundation degree, my coach says my swing is almost there its just a case of short game now to drop the 10 shots.

Thanks again for well wishes much appreciated.

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Just checked out your website Bob, it looks like you have accomplished what i am trying to achieve. Did you find the transition was easier or harder to take place then you thought?
Did you go down the PGA foundation degree route?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd often be cynical about another Blogger on a get to scratch mission on here (there have been a few) but given you made it into the commandos, I suspect you're a guy that gets things done. So good luck!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just checked out your website Bob, it looks like you have accomplished what i am trying to achieve. Did you find the transition was easier or harder to take place then you thought?
Did you go down the PGA foundation degree route?

Yes, did the foundation degree.
The hardest part was getting down to 4
I hadn't played any serious golf for a few years so drifted out from 2 to 5 so needed to get the one shot off which took the best part of a whole season.
After that, it wasn't too bad.
The coursework was pretty long with lots of essays to write so a good command of righting was needed. ;)

I did inquire into other teaching qualifications but everyone I spoke to about teaching jobs ALL wanted the PGA qualification so it's worth it in the long run.
I would say go for it.
Get stuck in for the 3 years, learn as much as you can and work hard.
It's almost worth it just for the free golf you'll get in most places around the world. :)

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Lots of golf courses around ranging from £360 ish a year up to a lot more for the likes of Woodhall Spa.
I believe the average membership is around £600.
Plenty of pros to choose from too.
Good luck with the career move. It will be tough but 4.4 is your target
Good luck

I'd often be cynical about another Blogger on a get to scratch mission on here (there have been a few) but given you made it into the commandos, I suspect you're a guy that gets things done. So good luck!

HI Monty,

Yes ive heard all the novice to scratch in a year stories, and I can understand the doubts but ive got alot of coals burning in my head to keep me going as well as having an obsession with the game as my wife calls it. but thanks for the well wishes and i wont be giving up too easily.

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes, did the foundation degree.
The hardest part was getting down to 4
I hadn't played any serious golf for a few years so drifted out from 2 to 5 so needed to get the one shot off which took the best part of a whole season.
After that, it wasn't too bad.
The coursework was pretty long with lots of essays to write so a good command of righting was needed. ;)

I did inquire into other teaching qualifications but everyone I spoke to about teaching jobs ALL wanted the PGA qualification so it's worth it in the long run.
I would say go for it.
Get stuck in for the 3 years, learn as much as you can and work hard.
It's almost worth it just for the free golf you'll get in most places around the world. :)

As im working in the maritime security sector i get alot of time at home so practice wont be a problem, its just getting it done on the course and getting down to 4. Im looking forward to the challenge and everyday seems a learning day at the mo, thanks again for the valuable info it just proves it can be done by like minded people.
Oh and why did you join the RAF you should of joined the Corps! lol

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a look at your blog Louis and saw the link to your swing clip. I realsie this was an old swing, but have to say it look nice... goo rhythm in particular.

And I agree, Charl Schwartzel is not a bad swing to try to emulate!

One of the best things you can do is post regualrly on here... your coach will keep your swing in line, but you'll awlasy get a good mix of support, banter and pi$$taking on here to keep you sane ;)

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers Monty,

Yeah from my background im used to the banter so looking forward to receiving some stick!

Im going to try and post my current swing today and the positions im in, but as for my old swing I always slightly came over the top caused by open shoulders at address and incorrect downswing sequence, two things i am working on at the mo.

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys Ive put my swing on my blog if you would like to check it out and rip it apart please. There is a video and ive put together a swing sequence page.