Coming down on the ball

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to attack the ball with quite a steep angle of attack. Can this lead to fading the ball when using a driver or 3 wood off the tee?

That depends if you are swinging 'in to out' or 'out to in' and the angle of the face in relation to the line of your swing.

Without actually watching you swing though I would say from what I have always watched with other golfers that swing down steep, they tend to hit the ball out to the right. This is because I have noticed over the years people that swing too steep more often than not have the clubface open to the path of the swing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting downwards with your driver and 3 wood will result in high spin and a high ball flight that lacks distance.

It will not fade the ball in its self.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
m10johnson,

When fading a driver one of the tips is to tee it low so you hit it with a more descending blow.... so the answer to your question is YES hitting steep will promote a fade with driver or 3-wood....especially if you've got it (a)tee'd up and (b)somewhere near your left heel (where the club path tends to be moving back to the inside).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
m10johnson,

When fading a driver one of the tips is to tee it low so you hit it with a more descending blow.... so the answer to your question is YES hitting steep will promote a fade with driver or 3-wood....especially if you've got it (a)tee'd up and (b)somewhere near your left heel (where the club path tends to be moving back to the inside).

Justone,

Can you explain why teeing a ball low creates a fade please.

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a friend check my swing out today and I through video I could see that I was coming over the top and fading the ball with a descending blow. Fixed my swing and was hitting everything with a 5-10 yard draw.

Thanks for the input people. :D

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Justone,

Can you explain why teeing a ball low creates a fade please.

in itself it doesnt.

but as far as simple tips go, a low tee'd ball will look to the eye like it requires a descending blow and the player may tend to be alittle more on top of the ball that he might usually be. resulting in a steeper swing that will be harder to drop enough to get back on plane and result in over the top/out to in swing(nothing major just slight)

a high tee'd ball is a simple tip to encourage a draw, the high ball encourages the player to catch the ball on the up and therefore sweep the club away low and inside and return it similarly from the inside. promoting a draw.

its all just little things which have an potential influence.

its not that they in themselves change anything if you tee the ball down you can still hit it from teh inside and if you tee the ball up you can still throw the club over the top/out to in.

Phil