Colour of ball

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During Sky's Open coverage on Friday, Butch Harmon was talking about Bubba Watson using different coloured balls and Harmon said that Watson had told him that you must use the same colour ball throughout the round. In other words, if you tee off with a green ball, you can only use a green ball during that round. Harmon said he wasn't previously aware of that and it's the first I have ever heard of it. A quick scan of the rules didn't result in finding any reference to this. I am aware that you used to have to use the same compression ball throughout the round but I am not even sure if this is still in place.
Was Bubba correct? Does the colour of the ball matter?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Balls of the same brand and model are listed on the R&A/USGA List of Conforming Golf Balls. Every model is included on the List as a separate entry with cover colour and identification markings that are essential to determining whether the ball model listed is the same as the ball in question. As different coloured balls are listed as separate entries, they are considered not to be the same ball.

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Balls of the same brand and model are listed on the R&A/USGA List of Conforming Golf Balls. Every model is included on the List as a separate entry with cover colour and identification markings that are essential to determining whether the ball model listed is the same as the ball in question. As different coloured balls are listed as separate entries, they are considered not to be the same ball.
Interesting. With the current "surge" in alternative coloured golf balls in the market (Volvik etc) I wonder how many are aware of this.
Does Playing with the same ball throughout the round apply to all comps? Almost every time I play at least one PP will play a provisional of a different make, usually one they have found in good nick 😀

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Only Pro and elite amateur events have the one ball rule.

I get that but doesn't the rule suggest that a provisional should be the same make and colour as the original, as the One Ball rule only removes the ability to change between holes... taking a different colour provisional would be on the same hole.

I ask as I commonly take a yellow provisional (of the same model as the original) to make it a bit easier should I put it in the exact same spot as the first shot... it seems that this would be a problem.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I get that but doesn't the rule suggest that a provisional should be the same make and colour as the original, as the One Ball rule only removes the ability to change between holes... taking a different colour provisional would be on the same hole.

I ask as I commonly take a yellow provisional (of the same model as the original) to make it a bit easier should I put it in the exact same spot as the first shot... it seems that this would be a problem.

Not for club level amateur events. You could play a different make and model as a provisional ball quite legitimately.

Other than courtesy and avoiding issues with identifyingyour ball you can play a different conforming ball on each hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

A bit of confusion it seems.

There is a Rule of Golf and then there is a Condition of Competition. The latter is often, confusingly called the 'One Ball Rule'.

The Rule says that you must use the same physical ball from the tee to the green of the hole being played. There are a few situations when another ball may be substituted under a rule (eg if it is lost or a provisional. No doubt someone will list the others).
As said, the ball may be changed for each next hole.

The Condition is optional and says that you must the same type of ball throughout the whole round. As has been said, this was intended for use only in pro or elite amateur competition.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bubba is using a yellow/green ball today.
Just assume he lost all his, am I right in thinking that he wouldn't be able to borrow one from someone else unless they were using the same yellow/green ball?
Let's hope he's not too wayward...

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Bubba is using a yellow/green ball today.
Just assume he lost all his, am I right in thinking that he wouldn't be able to borrow one from someone else unless they were using the same yellow/green ball?
Let's hope he's not too wayward...

It would be fine to borrow a ball from anyone, but it would have to be of the same make and model. If different colours are truly different models, then, yes, it would have to be the same colour.