Cold Weather Affecting Distance

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I've had a couple of lessons resulting in a radically different (less shonky) swing. I reckon I am striking the ball better but, frustratingly, I'm not hitting it as far as before. I reckon at the moment I probably need one maybe two clubs more than I'd expect.

It came up in conversation that the cold weather can affect the distance the ball flies. Does that sound likely, and how big an effect would it have?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a figure for distance loss that Imurg has posted before, but I'm not 100% I'll be right with the numbers.

Something like 1yd for every 3° below 70°F?

I hit roughly 1 club more into greens in the winter.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can make a differance. If you think about it the ball will be harder so less compression. For some reason it does not travel as far in cold air. Plus you will have more cloths on and colder musculs so not swinging as freely. If you add it all up guess it could make a club or so less length.

Having said that I am hitting my new iron 5/10 yrds longer now, than my old ones will go in the summer. Can't wait for the warmer weather.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I generally hit an extra club in the winter. A regular 150 yard shot in the summer is an 8 iron so I'd normally use a 7 iron in winter. I also change to a harder ball with less spin.

Chris

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I started to use Pro V1x balls last summer. Just before xmas i went to buy some more and the Pro advised me to use the Pro V1's instead as they need less compression during the colder weather. Must admit they do seem to go a little bit further at the moment.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I started to use Pro V1x balls last summer. Just before xmas i went to buy some more and the Pro advised me to use the Pro V1's instead as they need less compression during the colder weather. Must admit they do seem to go a little bit further at the moment.

I think you need something like 115 mph club head speed to get the best out of a Prov1X.

I use one if its very windy and lose distance, due to only having 105 mph swing. Saying that they don't spin as much, just like using a pinnicle thats soft off the putter;)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not heard that about 115mph SS for the Pro V1x. My driver SS is average 107, which I'd assumed was enough. Titleist let you do their ball fitting gimmick on their website and you don't hear a peep about swing speeds on there... funny that. It recommended the Pro V1x. :confused:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not heard that about 115mph SS for the Pro V1x. My driver SS is average 107, which I'd assumed was enough. Titleist let you do their ball fitting gimmick on their website and you don't hear a peep about swing speeds on there... funny that. It recommended the Pro V1x. :confused:

Seen it on a few things and it has been mentioned in ball reviews, i thinks that why lots of tour pro's use them.

Hard with a bit off feel of putter.

Have a look at this if you don't believe me http://www.golf-equipment-reviews.com/titleist-pro-v1x.html

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seen it on a few things and it has been mentioned in ball reviews, i thinks that why lots of tour pro's use them.

Hard with a bit off feel of putter.

Have a look at this if you don't believe me http://www.golf-equipment-reviews.com/titleist-pro-v1x.html

Sorry, Patrick, it was Titleist's marketing I was doubting, not you!

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. Been thinking about dropping the titleists any any. Better value to be had in the Srixon and Bridgestone ranges I think.....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry, Patrick, it was Titleist's marketing I was doubting, not you!

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. Been thinking about dropping the titleists any any. Better value to be had in the Srixon and Bridgestone ranges I think.....

Hey there a few guys on this forum who don't even have my clubhead speed and are still using them let alone yours.

I use the prov1 or srixon z star and if it windy i'll use the x as it doesn't appear to to be effected by the wind so much, just have to live with the fact i will lose 10 yards off iron shots at least and sometimes 20 yards with the driver. Still nice to putt and chip with though.

I think when i did the ball fitting it told me NXT and i hate those balls, i can't putt for toffee with them.;)