Colchester area

Visit site
Heading out for my first round in a very long time this week hopefully and can't decide on where to go. So I'm hoping there might be someone on here with local knowledge of the Colchester area that might be able to advise.

I'm thinking either;

Birch Grove slightly cheaper 9 hole with 18 tees.

And these which are similarly priced (if I book using golf now for some).

*Playgolf Colchester
*The Essex Country Club - County Course
*5 Lakes (either links or lakes course)

Happily take recommendations on any others I've not listed too.

D

Deleted member 21258

The Essex, is a easy walking course (flatish) but fairly long, some water. I like the course and would recommend, whether its ideal if this is your first game in a while, probably not due to length.

5 Lakes, not played for over 10 years, Links is the easier course iirc(shorter), again fairly flat. Water and the rough was fairly penal iirc on the courses, but as I say was a long time ago when I played there. I quite like both courses with lakes being preferred.

Heard about Birch grove and meant to be quite pleasant from what I have been told.

Sorry never played colchester.

Braintree not to far away ?, quite a nice course.

Where ever you choose, have a cracking first round back, enjoy.

Visit site
The Essex, is a easy walking course (flatish) but fairly long, some water. I like the course and would recommend, whether its ideal if this is your first game in a while, probably not due to length.

5 Lakes, not played for over 10 years, Links is the easier course iirc(shorter), again fairly flat. Water and the rough was fairly penal iirc on the courses, but as I say was a long time ago when I played there. I quite like both courses with lakes being preferred.

Heard about Birch grove and meant to be quite pleasant from what I have been told.

Sorry never played colchester.

Braintree not to far away ?, quite a nice course.

Where ever you choose, have a cracking first round back, enjoy.

Thanks DRW. It's food for thought. I wasn't even aware of Braintree I'll take a look and possibly the oaks at Witham I've used the range there some lunch times.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Forrester Park is a decent track and test of golf. If i was you I'd swerve 5 Lakes, it's just dull. Braintree/Stisted and Colchester are very good but you'll struggle to get on at them. Playgolf/Lexden Wood is belt and braces but fun and a challenge. Benton Hall in Witham is good and Colne Valley is better than the Essex in my opinion. Then you've got the 9 holers at Rivenhall Oaks, Birch Grove, Braxted and Maldon. There's loads to choose from but for first game back and if you can get on i'd go for Forrester Park or Colne Valley

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forrester Park is a decent track and test of golf. If i was you I'd swerve 5 Lakes, it's just dull. Braintree/Stisted and Colchester are very good but you'll struggle to get on at them. Playgolf/Lexden Wood is belt and braces but fun and a challenge. Benton Hall in Witham is good and Colne Valley is better than the Essex in my opinion. Then you've got the 9 holers at Rivenhall Oaks, Birch Grove, Braxted and Maldon. There's loads to choose from but for first game back and if you can get on i'd go for Forrester Park or Colne Valley

I've played a number of the ones you mentioned above and I'd agree Forrester Park and Colne valley would be a nice challenge when you get back to golf.

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll take a look at forresters and Colne valley. I didn't get to play yesterday in the end due to work ?. But I'm looking to get a round in soon. However I was working near Harwich and Dovercourt club and managed to get a quick 30 mins in on their practice field, what a refreshing difference to practice on grass rather than the range. I had better value from that than 200 balls on any normal range.