Cobra One length

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So, I popped out for a look at, and a fitting for the Cobra F7 One length steel clubs. I went with my own TaylorMade 5, 7 and pitching wedge to compare against.

After a warm up I hit, on Flightscope, my clubs against the Cobra's. I have to say that the distances were pretty similar but the dispersion of the Cobra's were definitely tighter and the Cobra 5 iron being the same length as the 7 iron was much easier to hit and i feel that 4,5 and 6 irons would all prove easier. The same setup, distance from the ball and swing seemed a sensible idea and i never struggled to embrace it.

Strangely, the wedge being 7 iron length went really well and the dispersion was negligible. I really thought the extra length above the 7 iron would prove really difficult but i was totally wrong. I came up as regular shaft and 2* up with a midsize grip. I haven't ordered them but I'm seriously considering them

I'd welcome any views?

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use them. Great clubs although you will notice the longer irons as such fly a lot lower than a normal set and the shorter irons fly higher. I've only cursed having them a few weeks back when playing in strong winds as made clubbing difficult for short irons.
I feel personally I've seen a marked improvement in my mid-long game as I'm now more willing to fire a 4,5 and 6 at greens without fear of where it's going.

I'm glad I made the switch although I'd say took a month or 2 until I felt comfortable with the longer short irons.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, I popped out for a look at, and a fitting for the Cobra F7 One length steel clubs. I went with my own TaylorMade 5, 7 and pitching wedge to compare against.

After a warm up I hit, on Flightscope, my clubs against the Cobra's. I have to say that the distances were pretty similar but the dispersion of the Cobra's were definitely tighter and the Cobra 5 iron being the same length as the 7 iron was much easier to hit and i feel that 4,5 and 6 irons would all prove easier. The same setup, distance from the ball and swing seemed a sensible idea and i never struggled to embrace it.

Strangely, the wedge being 7 iron length went really well and the dispersion was negligible. I really thought the extra length above the 7 iron would prove really difficult but i was totally wrong. I came up as regular shaft and 2* up with a midsize grip. I haven't ordered them but I'm seriously considering them

I'd welcome any views?

32EE183600000578-0-image-a-4_1461009003739.jpg

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I use them. Great clubs although you will notice the longer irons as such fly a lot lower than a normal set and the shorter irons fly higher. I've only cursed having them a few weeks back when playing in strong winds as made clubbing difficult for short irons.
I feel personally I've seen a marked improvement in my mid-long game as I'm now more willing to fire a 4,5 and 6 at greens without fear of where it's going.

I'm glad I made the switch although I'd say took a month or 2 until I felt comfortable with the longer short irons.

I did notice the flight Connor, but I've got TM RSI 1's and, to be honest, they go pretty high too.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can’t comment on the Cobra’s however i got fitted for the Edel single length irons and cannot fault them. I am now hitting a 3 iron as easily as my 8 iron, dispersion is like night and day with the original length irons.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Can’t comment on the Cobra’s however i got fitted for the Edel single length irons and cannot fault them. I am now hitting a 3 iron as easily as my 8 iron, dispersion is like night and day with the original length irons.

I think I could easily buy into the concept but I guess Edel come out quite a bit dearer?

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the cobra fmax one lengths and they are so easy to hit, and I like the ball flight I get with them. Like other folk have said I am more consistent with them and hit less duff iron shots now.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the cobra fmax one lengths and they are so easy to hit, and I like the ball flight I get with them. Like other folk have said I am more consistent with them and hit less duff iron shots now.

Another vote in favour !

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I loved the PW and 7 iron I tried, 5 iron was going similar distance as 7 though. Shame as I really liked the idea and wanted them to work.
May have to give them another go as I was swinging like a dog at the time (or is that all the time :D).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I loved the PW and 7 iron I tried, 5 iron was going similar distance as 7 though. Shame as I really liked the idea and wanted them to work.
May have to give them another go as I was swinging like a dog at the time (or is that all the time :D).

Like Connor who posted earlier, I found the 5 iron went the distance I expected but the flight was lower which is good for me

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Any knock on to the longer part of your game? driver/ 3 wood which much be soooo much longer than your longest iron now

As someone who already has his wedge end of the back much longer this still appeals greatly to me but the impact on driver the biggest worry

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a try of them, likes the idea of the ‘easier’ to hit long irons and liked the feel of the longer 8-9-PW setup.

My gripe was that with my current poor swing the gap between the 5/6/7 was quite tight leaving me with a falling issue at the top end of my bag.

Might give them another go in the future though.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
962f9517fb95f229c260ecfc271487d1--running-shorts-new-tricks.jpg

Sorry Chis I have nothing useful to add!
Best of luck whatever your choice.
I'd also be worried about transitioning to the longer non-irons but it might be no problem in practice.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Any knock on to the longer part of your game? driver/ 3 wood which much be soooo much longer than your longest iron now

As someone who already has his wedge end of the back much longer this still appeals greatly to me but the impact on driver the biggest worry

No knock on effect on the longer part, the driver still reels helplessly between spectacular and useless. 3 wood works well and then have a hybrid for slightly higher flight.

In in terms of distances the Edels fly the same distance as the standard length irons for me so no bigger gaps than previously.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No knock on effect on the longer part, the driver still reels helplessly between spectacular and useless. 3 wood works well and then have a hybrid for slightly higher flight.

In in terms of distances the Edels fly the same distance as the standard length irons for me so no bigger gaps than previously.

its more the shaft length difference than yardage gaps that worry me, i struggle enough with the long end of the bag as it is lol

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
its more the shaft length difference than yardage gaps that worry me, i struggle enough with the long end of the bag as it is lol

Ha, okay. To be honest I struggle with the longer clubs, sadly me days they’re amazing, other days not so much. Nothing has changed on that front with these irons bar the fact that I can play more defensively with just the 3 iron off the tee and keep it pretty straight.

Obviously less fun but needs must sometimes.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cobra are bringing out one length hybrids next year. Detail of their 2018 line up will be out tomorrow. Will be interesting to try the hybrids.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've had no problems with gapping it's fairly even across the set obviously subject to strike. I found the whole set slightly longer than my previous set but I put this down to a proper fitting.