"Clutch"

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why every single social media posting from the PGA Tour, or most American Golf Channels is using the term "clutch".

And.... can someone explain what it actually means?!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm guessing use of 'clutch' in this context might come from the fact that 'must make' putts tend to have you instinctively gripping/clutching the putter tighter. But that's just me trying to make some sense out of an Americanism - and there might be no sense in it - it might just be an Americanism.

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Clutch is when the pressure is on at the back end of a tournament and you are hitting very good shots and making putts to help win the tournament. For example Tiger's famous chip in on the 16th at the Masters would be considered clutch, due to the timing of the shot and what was on the line

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Clutch is when the pressure is on at the back end of a tournament and you are hitting very good shots and making putts to help win the tournament. For example Tiger's famous chip in on the 16th at the Masters would be considered clutch, due to the timing of the shot and what was on the line

Know what it is - but why 'clutch'? Maybe it's a shot that enables you to be within 'clutching' distance of the trophy?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Believe the origin is because it is a pressure situation in which you can grasp (or clutch) victory. Been used in American sports for decades, may have come from baseball originally.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's exclusive to just "winning" putts / chips etc... it's also used when someone is on the precipice of defeat - I watch the Golf Channel's "Big Break" and they often use the phrase "this is a clutch putt" if the competitor needs to sink a putt to not be eliminated from the show etc.

I assumed it came from "clutching at straws" or similar... although I think thats more of a British phrase than American!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think they've just got their English mangled- as they do - thinking that 'clutch' is the same as 'crunch'. Someone once meant to say 'crunch' but got it wrong and no-one thought to correct them - and it has stuck.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If the links accurate then it means a mathematician guy used an inappropriate word to mean 'key,crucial, must make' etc and it caught on... eejit!

Imagine how he'd feel if I come up with a new number for ten, so when counting instead of saying 8,9,10 I said 8, 9, eejit
bet that would mess up his sums :D