Clubs in Bristol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son has a job, sound of fanfare, after years of studying :D, and he will be moving down to Bristol in September. He is a decent golfer, HI 8.7, but a key feature is a club that is open and welcoming. He will not know anyone down there and so a friendly welcome and inclusivity is more important than being a top 100 course. He may, or may not have a car so the course needs to be relatively close to Bristol centre. There is some wriggle room on this, he may need to have a car for work (doesn't know yet), he can get taxis, he may get lifts from someone, but being 20 miles away is definitely out of the question.

Any suggestions for him to start having a look at?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Filton is an OK members club. If it was me I would join The Players but there are some other great courses to choose from in the area. Just depends on where he will be living and how far he wants to travel for golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Filton is an OK members club. If it was me I would join The Players but there are some other great courses to choose from in the area. Just depends on where he will be living and how far he wants to travel for golf.
He is likely to be quite central at this stage. The advantages to that are greater than the need to be close to a golf course. He knows he will have to travel to play golf.

D-S

Visit site
As member of a club in Bristol there are quite a few, many of which are fun and welcoming. The better ones have waiting lists now but it depends how much he values fun/welcome versus course. For inclusive, fun golf close to the centre I would plump for Shirehampton Park, a bit short but a decent test, its not my club but I think its the friendliest around with great well organised roll ups open to all.
Cost wise there is not a lot between the cheapest and the most expensive - you will struggle to find a full membership under £1050 but equally you can't pay more than £1400.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As member of a club in Bristol there are quite a few, many of which are fun and welcoming. The better ones have waiting lists now but it depends how much he values fun/welcome versus course. For inclusive, fun golf close to the centre I would plump for Shirehampton Park, a bit short but a decent test, its not my club but I think its the friendliest around with great well organised roll ups open to all.
Cost wise there is not a lot between the cheapest and the most expensive - you will struggle to find a full membership under £1050 but equally you can't pay more than £1400.[/QUOTE]
Do they not offer Northumberland rates? That will come as a shock to the system for him o_O

Thanks for the tip about Shirehampton.

D-S

Visit site
I think he'll soon notice the difference in pricing when he comes to look at the price of accommodation renting or buying! If he wants an introduction or a contact at Shire (as its known) DM me, but its not that necessary.

wjemather

Visit site
Several clubs in the area are full at the moment, so his choice is going to be limited somewhat. Clubs with waiting lists include Long Ashton, Bristol & Clifton, and Knowle (which is certainly not a course for winter, so wouldn't be my choice).

Looks like Henbury might still be taking new members - if it were me, that would probably be the one to look at. Filton is ok, but I'd probably venture outside Bristol a bit (10 miles) and look at Saltford, which has great practice facilities, or Tall Pines (by the airport).

As for the others mentioned The Players (overrated), Weston (poor condition), Burnham (best course) are probably (to varying degrees) outside his radius; one good hole aside, I'm not a fan of Shirehampton.

D-S

Visit site
Several clubs in the area are full at the moment, so his choice is going to be limited somewhat. Clubs with waiting lists include Long Ashton, Bristol & Clifton, and Knowle (which is certainly not a course for winter, so wouldn't be my choice).

Looks like Henbury might still be taking new members - if it were me, that would probably be the one to look at. Filton is ok, but I'd probably venture outside Bristol a bit (10 miles) and look at Saltford, which has great practice facilities, or Tall Pines (by the airport).

As for the others mentioned The Players (overrated), Weston (poor condition), Burnham (best course) are probably (to varying degrees) outside his radius; one good hole aside, I'm not a fan of Shirehampton.
I heard that Henbury now has a waiting list now albeit quite small (my club is now at least two years). Thornbury, for a play and pay, has an active membership and is very friendly but again is out of town if no access to a car.

D-S

Visit site
Running the risk of being the geography correspondant, how on earth can Burnham and Weston be considered city of Bristol?:ROFLMAO:
Well, Weston are in the Bristol and District Golf League (as are Cumberwell Park which is nearly in Bradford on Avon) but even that doesn’t stretch as far as Burnham. If you’re going to stretch the search to 30 odd miles (tricky with no access to a car) then South Wales, Somerset,Wiltshire and chunks of Gloucestershire come into play but not what the OP wanted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was a member of Filton 1984-1996. it was a very friendly club, great members. Other clubs looked down their noses a bit at it as it was rather open (for historic ownership reasons) but it underwent huge changes over the period of my membership. Members bore the few years pain and disruption with fortitude - testament to the membership - and last time I played about ten years ago it was really nice - not the greatest - but a nice course and decent challenge. I played all the courses in Bristol and area many times - but to be honest my recollections are 25yrs out of date so I won't plump for any favourite among the rest.

BTW - we lived in the St Andrews area of north central Bristol and so straight up Gloucester Rd to Filton.

The Lion

Visit site

I visit the Bristol area quite regularly so interested to know more about what’s wrong with Weston atm please, as it’s high up my to play list?