Club's compensation package for lockdown 3.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nothing for what's currently being and has recently been lost.

The money I have paid (monthly DD as it happens - but see @patricks148 #21) - is sunk/dead money that I was committed to paying in any case, and the time lost is now, self-evidently, past - I am not concerned at all that my club is taking that position.

The club provided decent compensation for the 1st lockdown and I was pleased about that. Club's financial position looks OK at the moment - if we were to have cut next years subs to compensate further for what was lost last year (they are not), or pull from existing funds, as a members club as members we only risk being asked to put more in via a levy to make up for income lost. No sugar daddy - just us the members keeping the club going as healthy as it is. Swings and roundabouts for me. I'm just pleased that the club is in a stable position and we can continue to plan for future investments in the course and clubhouse development. Love my club :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Covid isn't the fault of golf clubs and they still have substantial bills to pay despite lost earnings from bar, catering and visitors. Whilst it's a nice gesture to get a rebate I don't really think anyone should expect it.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Wont be surprised if test law cases happen over these kind of things, as not convinced the golf clubs are in the right in the eyes of the law but pass on that front.

OP The problem is once someone else has your money, its difficult, as you are only left with three choices. 1. is to appeal to their 'good nature', 2. take to social media to try to encourage them to do something else or 3. sue them.

Not easy decisions., sure there is more to the story than what you type.
I too think the legal position is interesting, though in my unprofessional there is probably a significant difference between a member owned club and a privately owned one. At a members club your fee is paid to be a member of a club and be part owner of the facility. There can be no expectation of a certain level of service. For a private club the fee is essentially paid to the owners for them to provide a service. My layman's understanding is that if no service is provided, no matter who's fault that is, then no fee would be due. That certainly how it works in the airline industry.

sunshine

Visit site
Covid isn't the fault of golf clubs and they still have substantial bills to pay despite lost earnings from bar, catering and visitors. Whilst it's a nice gesture to get a rebate I don't really think anyone should expect it.

I understand your point, but it depends on the nature of your golf club and the customer / service relationship.

If you had booked a flight that was cancelled due to lockdown you would expect a refund. COVID isn't the fault of airlines and they still have substantial bills to pay!

D-S

Visit site
I wonder what the thoughts are of people who think a rebate is their ‘right’ would think of an unseasonal 3 months of no golf (and not therefore what they had paid for) due to snow.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I wonder what the thoughts are of people who think a rebate is their ‘right’ would think of an unseasonal 3 months of no golf (and not therefore what they had paid for) due to snow.
A national lockdown with furloughed employees I don't think can be compared to that. Personally.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I understand your point, but it depends on the nature of your golf club and the customer / service relationship.

If you had booked a flight that was cancelled due to lockdown you would expect a refund. COVID isn't the fault of airlines and they still have substantial bills to pay!
No, it would either be rescheduled or claim on your insurance. You wouldn't lose out.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I don’t want anything back, I would rather the club be in as good a position as possible when we return and have as much funds as possible to invest in the facilities.

However, I appreciate I am in a good financial position. I haven’t been on furlough and my wife and I are both in stable jobs with decent incomes. I can understand that those not in that position might feel differently.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’m sorry but people who expect to get money back from a golf club due to lockdown are stupid and short sighted in my opinion.

But now you want something back after you decided to leave? Get te!!!

Next you’ll be writing to the golfing bodies to ask for them to discount the expensive courses with Peter.....

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
No, it would either be rescheduled or claim on your insurance. You wouldn't lose out.
I got refunded by the airline (KLM) for flights to the States which were cancelled last year - took a while and they told me that I'd have to wait a year to get my money back but a couple of months after I asked for my money back I got a full refund.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m sorry but people who expect to get money back from a golf club due to lockdown are stupid and short sighted in my opinion.

Why are golf clubs treated differently to anything else? I got my Gym membership frozen, My Indoor Simulator membership refunded. Gigs, flights etc..

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
But the thing is, we are each in exactly the same position financially as we would have been, we haven't actually lost any money as we were happy to spend it.

Earlier I made reference to the £300 I've "lost", but I'm wrong, I haven't lost that at all as golf membership is a complete given for me. All I've lost is a few games of golf, which in reality I already had aplenty last year when I was WFH every other week.

The OP is not down financially and has not lost any money. He has lost some winter games of golf and the owner has recognised that by offering a sweetener on the new membership.

The OP has decided to join somewhere else instead of taking the offer, nobody is forcing him to change clubs so it's his choice.

I agree, we haven’t “lost” money. What we have lost though is a service, say we lost 3 months of golf due to the lockdowns one argument could be that the coming years fees are reduced by 25% to make up for it. Wanting a rebate though is short sighted, I think we both agree that we don’t want anything back from the clubs, just for them to be as strong as possible moving forwards.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But now you want something back after you decided to leave? Get te!!!

Next you’ll be writing to the golfing bodies to ask for them to discount the expensive courses with Peter.....

I'm too busy enjoying my £65 rebate to write. :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Why are golf clubs treated differently to anything else? I got my Gym membership frozen, My Indoor Simulator membership refunded. Gigs, flights etc..

What staff does a gym have to pay during lockdown ? A lot of members clubs are keeping staff on to keep the course going through the lockdown. Keeping a golf course up to standard is a touch harder than a gym or indoor simulator

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
What staff does a gym have to pay during lockdown ? A lot of members clubs are keeping staff on to keep the course going through the lockdown. Keeping a golf course up to standard is a touch harder than a gym or indoor simulator

Probably no staff correct. What unit rent does a golf club have to pay during lockdown?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
But in my case it's a private club and no work has taken place.

D

Deleted member 15344

Probably no staff correct. What unit rent does a golf club have to pay during lockdown?

Depends on if the club owns the land or rents it - some clubs have to pay over up to £100k a year just to lease the land

If a golf course isn’t maintained for 3 months then it’s going to lose a lot more than just money.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you are a member you generally take out a years membership (contract).

Do people asking for a rebate expect money off if the course is closed or on winter greens?