Clubs and Courses that have closed

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all who contributed to my first thread last month regarding clubs and courses that have closed.

Following are just a few that have gone; Allerthorpe Park, North Yorks; Aylesbury Golf Club, Bierton; Purley Chase, Warwickshire; Chirk GC, Wrexham; Blackwell Grange (their former course), Durham; Dorset Heights GC. There are many more.

I'm looking for scorecards and course planners to include on the Golf's Missing Links website:
www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk

The website is an attempt to preserve the history of these lost clubs and courses. It's remarkable how quickly they are forgotten!

If anyone can help please PM me.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Royal Norwich score card;

http://www.royalnorwichgolf.co.uk/images/stories/score-cards.pdf

Weston Park have a good course guide here;

http://www.weston-park.co.uk/golf/golfcourse.php

I cannot see a scorecard, however I do want to play Weston Park before it goes if you want me to pick you one up just say. I think I have a Royal Norwich one if you want it.

Thanks for the links really appreciate it, a card for both clubs would be great. Any idea when the RNGC will be on the move?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you know when the move will take place?

Nothing too imminent - talking to friends at the weekend about this issue and Weston Park have yet to even agree to terms (can't verify this however). Understandably hesitant from what I have learnt. There's discussions ongoing about how many holes would be built if the plan were accepted so hence the story being somewhat unresolved. The whole plan has been rumbling on for several years now and I'd guess at another couple to make a deal and actually undertake the rebuild. Will update you if I hear anything else!

Personally, I think it could be a great deal if brokered correctly as the land around WP is excellent and the opportunity to develop a top venue would help the area as well as golfers. Shame to lose history from the RN site but there's a good opportunity to leave something strong for future generations.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing too imminent - talking to friends at the weekend about this issue and Weston Park have yet to even agree to terms (can't verify this however). Understandably hesitant from what I have learnt. There's discussions ongoing about how many holes would be built if the plan were accepted so hence the story being somewhat unresolved. The whole plan has been rumbling on for several years now and I'd guess at another couple to make a deal and actually undertake the rebuild. Will update you if I hear anything else!

Personally, I think it could be a great deal if brokered correctly as the land around WP is excellent and the opportunity to develop a top venue would help the area as well as golfers. Shame to lose history from the RN site but there's a good opportunity to leave something strong for future generations.

Thank you for the information.

Agree with your comments in the second paragraph.