Clubs advice - Irons v Package Set

El Supremo

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but not to the world of golf. I'm now 27 and been playing since around the age of 12 - I would describe myself as a seasonal golfer.

I have a set of Memphis irons which are around 10-15 years old along with Dunlop Tour driver, hybrid and putter.

I'm looking to replace primarily my irons as those are, unsurprisingly, the clubs that I use the most. I do not want to spend more than about £200 and so was initially looking at something like the Wilson FSX 2 or Benross Quad Speed Rip.

However, upon researching various clubs I came across the package set of Ben Sayers M11 which includes - stand bag, driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrid, 5-SW and putter. Now I was not in he market to replace my other clubs but I have been giving the Ben Sayers set consideration as I seem to get a lot more value for money - user reviews have also spoken highly of the clubs.

So I guess my question is this - will the irons in the Ben Sayers set be as good as sub-£200 irons?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know anything about those irons, but I would doubt it very much. You can get a very good set of irons second hand if your budget is £200.

The other clubs can also be replaced with good quality second hand stuff fairly cheaply if you don't have to have the latest gear.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go for the second hand option rather than new package. Go to one of your local club's (you don't have to be a member) as they will probably have second hand sets for sale. You will also be able to try them out before you buy.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with what's being said, secondhand at that level of expenditure with definitely buy a quality set of irons of fairly recent release whereas a "starter set" are unlikely to be much good - in my opinion

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, another second hand supporter here.

The second hand clubs will be made of better components and are much better quality. The minute you hit the new ones, they are second hand anyway. If you are coming back to the game, you will probably improve fast and your needs will change but you will be stick with a package set of worthless clubs.

Ask a pro for some advice on what is suitable.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yet another advocate of the 2nd hand route. It's also how I buy all mine!

Just exactly how you allocate your funds will depend on how frequently you play - and at what level imo.

If you only play once a month or so, then spending £300+ on the latest Driver is (or should be) clearly daft!

There are decent sets of irons to be had for around £120 (+/- about £30!) so well within your budget. I tend to suggest MX17 as a cost-effective forgiving set that can be used by virtually anyone. Older Callaway X series are even more forgiving and aimed at higher handicappers. X16s are about that price and X12s can be had for even less.