Club upgrade

James1886

Visit site
Hi,

I'm relatively new to golf, been playing for around a year and have started to see some progress in my game. I think it's time I need to start to move on from the £100 basic set I bought when I first started out. I wont replace the whole set at once and was thinking of starting with the driver. Was hoping I could get some advice and opinion as to some to the possibilities out there that might suit me. Ideally need something which is still a but forgiving, maximum price of around £250 and something which will help me out without taking a huge deal of getting used to. Any advice anyone has got will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at the Ping G range lots to choose from and all forgiving. Also look at Callaway and taylormade. The best advice would be to get fitted for one but try out as many as you can before you buy.
Lots of people believe all the hype and buy without trying and are disappointed.

James1886

Visit site
I've read some good stuff about the ping g25, got a friend with a g20 and I like the feel of it. I'll check out the others too. Thanks a lot!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With a 250 quid budget pretty much anything is on the table. First suggestion would be a Ping G30 as most reckon it was the most forgiving driver out of last year/generation.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Or, you might consider spending £50 on a G15 and £200 on lessons. IMHO every golfer gets more "bang per buck" from lessons than from new equipment. The appeal of shiny new sticks is strong though!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
£250 seems a lot.

I recently picked up a cobra fly-z. Widely available at around £150. Very forgiving and a much nicer noise than the G30 imho (though noise is a very personal thing).

Even if you don't want to get second hand, last year's new stock from most manufacturers will come in at well under £200.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
G25 is another forgiving option, which is what I have. I tried the G30 and to be honest there wasn't enough difference to justify the cost of a new driver. You'll find them well inside budget and I echo the sentiments of others and would invest in lessons going forward