Club selection

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Played today at an away course with 2 people from a different club who I didn't know.

Teeing off on the 15th, I had the honour, there was a ditch about 210/220 away, I took driver into a decent head wind and just cleared it on the 2nd bounce. A FC then put his driver BACK in the bag, and took out an iron, to lay up. The third player then called him up on this and said he couldn't change his club based on the outcome of my shot, as that would be him gaining an advantage.
I disputed this, as didn't think this was correct, was I right or wrong?? As it happens the 2nd player ended up playing driver and put it OOBs

D

Deleted member 15344

The third is talking complete and utter nonsense

You can decide what club you can take regardless.

Next time ask him to show you the rule

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That old chestnut......
You're right
He's wrong.

God alone where he got that idea from.
You can even look into your Oppo's bag to see which club he used as long as you don't move anything like a towel that covers clubs.....

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
I advised FC 2 that I thought it was incorrect and I was happy for him to play whatever, then we'd seek a ruling afterwards, but he just went ahead with driver, tried to leather it.

If it was me in that situation I would have done exactly what I'd advised, but he didn't seem to want to cause a fuss. Shame as cost him two points on a very low scoring day.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I advised FC 2 that I thought it was incorrect and I was happy for him to play whatever, then we'd seek a ruling afterwards,.
He should have played two balls under rule 3-3. He would have to nominate which ball was to count before he made a stroke. It could then be sorted out at the end of the round.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He can opt to put the driver back and hit an iron, but then he has to walk to the ball with his trousers round his ankles. New decision of golf under Rule 17/2 - Manliness on the course. .

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You can even look into your Oppo's bag to see which club he used as long as you don't move anything like a towel that covers clubs.....

Correct.
I did just this at Hayling last Sunday to see what Gordon (drive4show) had hit at a par 3.
Problem was, I'm senile and looked in Richart's bag by mistake.
It didn't really help me
:mad::mad:

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You are not allowed to ask what club has been played are you?

I have done this a few times. Pulled the big gun from the bag, watched bro in law nail his drive only to find the wind take it off course, so swapped the driver for an iron. no one said anything about it being wrong.....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have done this a few times. Pulled the big gun from the bag, watched bro in law nail his drive only to find the wind take it off course, so swapped the driver for an iron. no one said anything about it being wrong.....
It isn't.