club head speed

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
How exactly does a slower swing deliver much faster clubhead speed?

I'm not entirely sure what either of you are talking about, feel free to clarify. You did say something about the hands being 20mph or 30mph - that's a massive 50% difference, you don't think that would have an effect on the speed of the clubhead that is on an arc a further 44" away from the hands?

If hand speed meant nothing then shouldn't those 'long drive' guys be swinging as slowly as they can?

Sloooooooow and smooth!! erm............ not.

With you on this one James. If your swing is slow and deliberate then you are not going to generate tons of speed. I think your swing needs to be rhythmic and accelerate your hands into impact to generate lots of speed. But it goes without saying that a slow swing will not generate more clubhead speed.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your Swing is fast but uncontrolled, then yes slow it, does help alittle
will give your accuracy a helping hand
But if you think you can control your swing as it is then dont change it, Faster then better if you can handle it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

It doesn't. But Faster clubhead speed doesn't necessarily mean faster Ball-speed either - and it's ball-speed that governs distance (plus a few other attributes of course!). Remember the Smash-Factor thread!

So swing better, not harder/faster!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are 5 things that influence the ball directly at impact.

• Angle of attack

• Swing path

• Clubface direction

• Where the ball strikes the clubface (heel/toe/sweet spot)

• and finally speed.
If you increase the speed without changing the other 4, you will hit it further.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Increasing speed will accentuate the impact conditions. If the ball was hit well then it will have more distance, otherwise the bad shot will be worse. Hooks and slices will be two fairways over instead of one , skied shots will be sponsored by NASSA.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm not entirely sure what either of you are talking about, feel free to clarify. You did say something about the hands being 20mph or 30mph - that's a massive 50% difference, you don't think that would have an effect on the speed of the clubhead that is on an arc a further 44" away from the hands?

I was illustrating the gap/relationship between hand speed and club head speed, and the 20 or 30 was indacative based on some quick mental arithmetic and estimates (specified in the post) - I made no comment at all regarding the impact on distance that might result from a 50% increase in hand speed but there is a clear inference that if hand speed is in that area, and clubhead speed is around 110 (say), then whatever it is that is delivering that clubhead speed is more important than simply increasing hand speed.............bluntly, releasing the clubhead at the right moment from the right position.

Once you have that 'nailed' (we could call it timing I suppose) then if you can increase your hand speed without compromising your timing then it will increase your club head speed.

If you can do it without compromising the accuracy of your strike (club head alignment and the other angles involved) then you will hit the ball even further in the direction you wish :)

It's probably the last element in the equation to go to work on, and delivers the least practical benefit in the hunt for consistent on target distance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There are 5 things that influence the ball directly at impact.
  • Angle of attack
  • Swing path
  • Clubface direction
  • and finally speed.
If you increase the speed without changing the other 4, you will hit it further.

These are the '5 Ball Flight Laws' that both UK and US mobs (PGAs) have been able to agree on, though calling them 'Laws' is a bit dodgy imo - Factors is a much better term; and (Ball) Flight Shapes would be better for the other lot too.

Indeed, if clubhead speed is the only factor that changes, then the result will just be 'more' of what happens with lower clubhead speed - more distance, bigger fade/slice/pull/hook etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It doesn't. But Faster clubhead speed doesn't necessarily mean faster Ball-speed either - and it's ball-speed that governs distance (plus a few other attributes of course!). Remember the Smash-Factor thread!

So swing better, not harder/faster!

Many, many years ago (30+) I read a little article by John Jacobs in a golf magazine (may have been GF) - words of his in that article have stuck with me 'you hit the ball further by hit it better'

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
These are the '5 Ball Flight Laws' that both UK and US mobs (PGAs) have been able to agree on, though calling them 'Laws' is a bit dodgy imo - Factors is a much better term; and (Ball) Flight Shapes would be better for the other lot too.

Indeed, if clubhead speed is the only factor that changes, then the result will just be 'more' of what happens with lower clubhead speed - more distance, bigger fade/slice/pull/hook etc.

They are called 'laws' in the sense of the laws of physics - certain actions cause certain effects, rather than laws in a legal sense.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Did anyone actually answer the question yet?

I'll try.
If you swing at such a fast speed that you have little control of the

• Angle of attack

• Swing path

• Clubface direction

then chances are you will not gain any distance
If however you reduce the swing speed to a point where you improve the above factors, then you will increase the distance.
So, perfect the other 4 factors and then increase the speed without losing track of the other factors.
Or as my dad used to say....

"Hit it as hard as you can but no harder"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They are called 'laws' in the sense of the laws of physics - certain actions cause certain effects, rather than laws in a legal sense.

H'mm.

Doesn't seem like the way I remember the 'laws of physics'!

Can you explain how 'Centredness of Strike' is a law? I can understand how it's a Factor.

Analogous, to 'Mass' being a Law in Newton's 2nd Law of Motion, where it's certainly a Factor (2 meanings of it too

Is 'Size of Dose' a Law or is it a Factor?

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you explain how 'Centredness of Striks' is a law? I can understand how it's a Factor.

If the other 4 laws aren't changed but the ball is struck with the toe/heal, would you not expect the ball to travel less distance than a ball hit in the centre of the club face?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If the other 4 laws aren't changed but the ball is struck with the toe/heal, would you not expect the ball to travel less distance than a ball hit in the centre of the club face?

That statement might be heading towards a 'Law' (well. not really), but the 5 Factors are not Laws in themselves.

Your post regarding the 5 Factors that contribute to the strike of a golf ball - (only 4 apply directly to 'swing') is fine and could almost be considered to be a (single) Law, but the individual components (factors) are certainly not 'Laws'!

Is 'Mass' a Law? No. Is it a Factor in a Law (F=ma)? Yes!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do the 5 items on my list have a direct influence on the ball ?

Yes. They are the Factors that are involved!

Here's an article (found by quick google search) that, sort of, associates both our (?) points of view on 'Law' - though I'm unconvinced!

http://home.earthlink.net/~debbievang/id1.html

BTW. Why are we even hving this ping-pong posting? You posted and I agreed that they were Factors! Are you 'complaining' about folk agreeing with you?

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes. They are the Factors that are involved!

Here's an article (found by quick google search) that, sort of, associates both our (?) points of view on 'Law' - though I'm unconvinced!

http://home.earthlink.net/~debbievang/id1.html

BTW. Why are we even hving this ping-pong posting? You posted and I agreed that they were Factors! Are you 'complaining' about folk agreeing with you?

Dont know if I should be saying this but the article in that link uses Old Ball Flight Law reasoning.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dont know if I should be saying this but the article in that link uses Old Ball Flight Law reasoning.

Indeed. That wasn't the purpose of the quote though. And calling those (9) 'Ball Flight Shapes' or 'Flight Shape Results' 'Laws' is almost as daft imo.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why are we even hving this ping-pong posting? You posted and I agreed that they were Factors! Are you 'complaining' about folk agreeing with you?

I dont agree they are just factors. I only said it so as not to rock the boat.
I get told off if I disagree with someone who has different ideas from me.