Club choice for green side bunkers...?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a 54deg Cleveland CBX wedge with 12deg of bounce, and a matching 58deg with 10deg of bounce. I’ve tried both for “ordinary” green-side bunker shots, and can’t really decide between them.

In truth I don’t properly understand what bounce is (or how it works).

Which of the two wedges “should” be better for bunker play and why?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 54 /12 will be better for deeper softer sand - the 58/10 for firm sand (don't open the face)

All other things being equal.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 56* with 14 bounce it’s brilliant in soft sand.
If sand is compact I use my 52* 8 bounce. And try to hit it cleanish still taking a divot, easier said than done.

The softer or deeper the sand more bounce stops the leading edge digging in.

The biggest prob I see with players in bunkers is they don’t hit it anyway near hard enough , you must take the sand out and in turn it will take the ball with it.

your first job is to get it out , when you can do this with regularity you then can start going for the flag.

Its technique ask your pro to show you then practice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The first thing you have to do when you go in to a bunker is look at the lie and the type of sand and the next is how high you need to hit the ball. It is only then can you decide what is the best club for the job.

The biggest mistake I see most 'poor' bunker players making is not enough follow through and /or quitting on the shot.

Getting out is not about hitting the sand really hard its about a really smooth, full swing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use a 58 degree wedge. I have a variety of bounces (thin sole, standard sole and wide sole, as Ping describe them) and switch them depending on where I am playing and the quality and depth of the sand

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow, I never new any of this about bounce and sand types!!!! I've always just used my loftest club in greenside bunkers, currently a 58 but used to be a 60. I'm going to look at what bounce I have on these now and look at the link above. I can feel some shots being saved.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I struggled with bunker shots, bought a Callaway SureOut 64* with a huge sole and now rarely don't get out. My idea was to learn the technique then change back to a conventional lob wedge, but, what the hell, as ugly as the SureOut is, it gets me out!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I struggled with bunker shots, bought a Callaway SureOut 64* with a huge sole and now rarely don't get out. My idea was to learn the technique then change back to a conventional lob wedge, but, what the hell, as ugly as the SureOut is, it gets me out!

What loft is your SW?

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play links golf a lot so I’ve based my setup around this.

If I need to make the ball stop quickly I’ll use my most lofted club which is 58 and Open it to play it fully open.

If I’ve got a bit of room to make the Ball run I’ll play my 54 and still Open the face but usually runs 5-10 yards more

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I now carry a knackered Dunlop 60° (tenner at Sports Direct job), and I use that for bunker shots. Just whack it with that and hope for the best. Works better than my 56° Cleveland.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently bought a Callaway Sure Out 56*. Only failed once in about 10 attempts to get out and that was due to the bunker being rock hard. Did put one OOB as well though as I caught it so well (not thin). Just having confidence in the club has taken away most of the fear of going in a bunker.