'clipping' ball with practice putt

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Friend did this recently while 'looking' at the hole while practice swinging beside the ball (like Luke does), his practice wasn't straight and he clipped the ball sending it 2 feet away, he replaced and said it was an accident....which it was....but I'm sure it's still a penalty and replace?

Same scenario but what if his marker was still at the ball?

A pro told me once if you even touch the ball its a penalty, I often wonder how 'dangerous' it is when I see a pro lining up and puts the putter behind his ball very quickly, could be very expensive.

G

guest100718

As far as I am aware its replace the ball, add a stroke and carry on.

G

guest100718

I would play it from the new position and count it as a stroke, as the ball was in play and you caused it to move.
I think you'll find yourself in more trouble if you do that. Another 2 strokes for playing from the wrong place.

G

guest100718

Nope, not according to others on here in a previous thread.

Play from new position, no penalty. It was a stroke and the ball moved.

hmmm, there has to be intent to hit the ball for it to be a stoke (see kevin Na), no intent in a practise swing to hit the ball . I'll stand by initial observation of replace the ball, add one stroke and carry on.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Replace the ball under penalty of one stroke.

The only time you can replace without penalty is on the tee box as the ball is not yet in play.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is one of the rules I don't like. I understand the rule, but would be good if someone could explain the logic behind it?

Why, if my club has hit the ball, and the ball has moved, should it not count? Thinking out loud, has it only come around as a way to create a "stroke" and therefore penalty, if you miss the ball when you meant to hit it?

It seems like giving you a penalty, for doing what you're meant to, hitting the ball!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is one of the rules I don't like. I understand the rule, but would be good if someone could explain the logic behind it?

Why, if my club has hit the ball, and the ball has moved, should it not count? Thinking out loud, has it only come around as a way to create a "stroke" and therefore penalty, if you miss the ball when you meant to hit it?

It seems like giving you a penalty, for doing what you're meant to, hitting the ball!

You are not doing what you are meant to do or even what you meant to do. You are meant to hit the ball purposely and a stroke is defined as it is to reflect that purpose, as opposed to an accident.

If you accidentally hit your ball with the toe and skite it at right angles into a jungle, you might be quite relieved that you can replace the ball than have to play it as it lies. ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
:confused:how can you replace the ball when there is no marker to give the exact position. players have been penalised for replacing the ball in the wrong position.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decision 18-2a/20 covers this.

Q: A player makes a practice swing and accidentally moves his ball in play with his club. Has he made a stroke?
A: No. He had no intention of moving the ball – see Definition of “Stroke”. However, he incurs a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2a for moving his ball in play, and the ball must be replaced.

This is regardless of where on the course the ball is. Be it through the green, in a hazard or on the green.

:confused:how can you replace the ball when there is no marker to give the exact position. players have been penalised for replacing the ball in the wrong position.

If you can not determine the exact spot then Rule 20-3. This does vary depending on where you are.

c. Spot Not Determinable
If it is impossible to determine the spot where the ball is to be placed or replaced:
(i) through the green, the ball must be dropped as near as possible to the place where it lay but not in a hazard or on a putting green;
(ii) in a hazard, the ball must be dropped in the hazard as near as possible to the place where it lay;
(iii) on the putting green, the ball must be placed as near as possible to the place where it lay but not in a hazard.

Just take a look a times on the tours when balls at rest has been moved by animals. The pros usually ask for opinion from those around them when replacing. This includes spectators, caddies, marshalls etc. We normal golfers just have to use the resources available. That is our playing partners. A quick chat will help determine the spot.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
First thing I would do would be to stick in a tee at the place my ball had been before going to fetch it.

But if you cannot determine where to replace a ball you should drop it (through the green or in a hazard) as near as possible to the spot. On the green you place it. Rule 20-3c

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe but dont quote me if theres a marker there, No problem
But if no marker then there is a problem

The ball is in play when it has been replaced, even if the marker hasn't been removed; therefore there is still a penalty.

Decision 20-4/1 makes this clear.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
A pro told me once if you even touch the ball its a penalty, I often wonder how 'dangerous' it is when I see a pro lining up and puts the putter behind his ball very quickly, could be very expensive.

If you touch the ball with a club and it oscillates back to its original position there is no penalty. A penaly only occurs if the ball is moved. The defination of "Moved" being "A ball is deemed to have "moved" if it leaves its position and comes to rest in any other place."

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
The ball is in play when it has been replaced, even if the marker hasn't been removed; therefore there is still a penalty.

Decision 20-4/1 makes this clear.
I'm sure the ball only becomes in play on the putting green once it has been addressed, and removing the marker does not make the ball in play. In relation to the ball moving I could not add anything more to previous answers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure the ball only becomes in play on the putting green once it has been addressed, and removing the marker does not make the ball in play. In relation to the ball moving I could not add anything more to previous answers

What makes you think that?

The ball is in play whether it is addressed or not.

A ball is "in play" as soon as the player has made a stroke on the teeing ground. It remains in play until it is holed, except when it is lost, out of bounds or lifted, or another ball has been substituted, whether or not the substitution is permitted; a ball so substituted becomes the ball in play.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Steve
Pogle was correct: the ball is in play when it is replaced. See Rule 20-4

20-4. When Ball Dropped Or Placed Is In Play
If the player’s ball in play has been lifted, it is again in play when dropped or placed