Cleaning my Golf Clubs

dnaylor99

Visit site
I just wanted some feedback on how often people clean there clubs. I tend to clean them every 3-4 rounds depending on how wet the course has been. Also, as a new golfer how important is it for me to clean them and how much can it affect my game. When i read stuff online on how to clean them it is just hot bucket of water and cloths but is there anything else people can recommend that is good for my clubs and progress.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to wipe them after every shot, and then dry them and take them out of the bag when I get home (and take off any headcovers). I have heard you shouldn't put clubs into hot water too often as it can affect the epoxy resin that glues the head and the shaft. I tend to simply use an old nail brush, lukewarm water and a bit of washing up liquid and clean them properly every few weeks and tend to do the grips at the same time. Really isn't any need to over-complicate it

dnaylor99

Visit site
I think dirty clubs definitely affect my game, if only there was some product or service available.
So if there was a local service who cleaned your clubs after every round you would pay to do that because you know it will improve your game?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would the wire brush not damage the club face and grooves though?
not really unless you are Popeye and overdoing it. I us one when whenever is clean my forged clubs and they show no sign of wear, well not from the brush anyway. doubt you would get rust off with an ord brush anyway

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I didn't realise the club offer them services. How much do the members have to pay for this then?

It comes with the bill for food, drink, pro shop purchases, guest green fees, and "buggies" as you call them.
My wife writes the checks for all of our bills (and I was an accountant!) , so since I don't get yelled at over it, it can't be too much.
If you keep your clubs in the bag room, they show up on your golf cart when you play and you just leave them on the cart when you're done.
It's mostly seniors who play riding and don't play much elsewhere who use this service.

Last edited:

dnaylor99

Visit site
you could join the likes of Muirfield or Skibo, they have locker attendent who clean your clubs after each use if you are a member
I assume the memberships are extremely expensive if they offer that service. I don't know of any local independent companies which do this. Just seems every google search is bucket of water a washing up liquid and clean is there not an actual product which can help clean the grooves and the steel?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I assume the memberships are extremely expensive if they offer that service. I don't know of any local independent companies which do this. Just seems every google search is bucket of water a washing up liquid and clean is there not an actual product which can help clean the grooves and the steel?
i don't know, but i wouldn't be suprised if a link apeared that did:ROFLMAO:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Some over thinking going on here... :)

Surely you wipe the muck off the club face after a shot?
I clean the whole set properly after every round.... bit of warm soapy water, quick soak, soft brush and wipe with towel.
Celtic Manor offer the service of bag storing /cleaning as extra charge to membership.. can' t remember how much it is though

Grooves full of soil/mud won't do their job as well as clean one!

dnaylor99

Visit site
Some over thinking going on here... :)

Surely you wipe the muck off the club face after a shot?
I clean the whole set properly after every round.... bit of warm soapy water, quick soak, soft brush and wipe with towel.
Celtic Manor offer the service of bag storing /cleaning as extra charge to membership.. can' t remember how much it is though

Grooves full of soil/mud won't do their job as well as clean one!

After every shot i do wipe my club with the towel on my bag. So you clean them after EVERY round ready for your next one. I played with a member at my club the other day and didn't play very well and he said to me well your clubs are dirty that's not a good start, didn't realise that could affect my game that much. There was some mud on them but not caked in mud. So after every round you would recommend to clean them.