Cleaning my Golf Clubs

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I clean the club faces after every round under warm running water, with either washing up liquid or Barkeepers Friend, using an old toothbrush. The grips I clean with warm soapy water once a month.
Also wipe them after every shot on the course, and if need be, scrape the grooves with the point of a tee peg, usually while walking up the fairway or on the next tee.
I use a large towel on the course, half of it wet / damp to clean the club face, the other half dry. A dry towel doesn't remove the dirt / sand/ mud properly (in my opinion).
I like to think that manufacturers don't spend millions of pounds (dollars) developing clubface and ball dimple technology for best performance if smearing either or both with dirt / mud have no effect.

Last edited:

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
soapy water, old tooth brush and an old towel - clean them after each round. Keeps the grooves nice and clean.

Clean the grips with soapy water and the tooth brush a couple of times a year.

D

Deleted member 23344

I’m cleaning mine every round at the moment. In better weather, I wipe after each shot if necessary and clean every couple of rounds. Just water and a nail brush, followed by drying with a towel.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I only clean the head after a shot if theres muck sticking to it.
I do give the grooves a wipe before nearly every shot as I'm planning what to do.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It still has an oil component which will reduce friction.

I think it’s quite volatile therefore wouldn’t persists like a longer carbon chain compound which usually have a higher boiling point.

It no doubt has a lubricating effect, I don’t think it’s that long lasting.

It’s certainly good for lifting off rust which is what I use it for.

You should be able to wipe away the penetrant along with any loosened debris and restore the surface somewhat.

I would think it’s also quite hydrophobic so who knows, that might help.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think it’s quite volatile therefore wouldn’t persists like a longer carbon chain compound which usually have a higher boiling point.

It no doubt has a lubricating effect, I don’t think it’s that long lasting.

It’s certainly good for lifting off rust which is what I use it for.

You should be able to wipe away the penetrant along with any loosened debris and restore the surface somewhat.

I would think it’s also quite hydrophobic so who knows, that might help.

You could do an experiment, spray it on the face of a club, leave the club for a day then see if any oil remains. My hunch is it will.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could do an experiment, spray it on the face of a club, leave the club for a day then see if any oil remains. My hunch is it will.
For things like golf clubs, stainless steel appliances and the like WD40 is perfect, it's also good for removing black marks from floors;)
It's no good on anything oily already, as it can also act as a degreaser. As a light oil (and thats all it is) it's perfect:)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Nice to see my WD40 comment has created so much debate. Friction was probably the wrong word but my experience has shown me that doing this monthly that the first couple of rounds after, the dirt wipes away much easier with no visible performance issues versus normal clean grooves. It probably suggests I should does this fortnightly.

when I mentioned friction I was more getting at it will displace more dirt which clears the groves more to allow more friction over an iron with clogged groves rather than the WD40 improving friction itself.