Cleaning my Golf Clubs

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Rude man. Just trying to get some honest advice as a new golfer and i get that.

Tell us a bit more about yourself then please.
It's just that we get a lot of spammers on here, and a first time poster who claims to be new to golf yet their first 8 posts are about cleaning clubs???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I clean my clubs once every few months. Can't be bothered doing it more than that in winter when you go out, hit the ball once and it's caked with mud again. When I clean them I just use a spray bottle with water, spray the club face and scrub with a groove brush, dry it off and that's it. Simple enough.

I have a Boot Buddy I use on my footy boots and golf shoes, I did see someone say they used theirs for the clubs as well so I might actually try that.

dnaylor99

Visit site
Tell us a bit more about yourself then please.
It's just that we get a lot of spammers on here, and a first time poster who claims to be new to golf yet their first 8 posts are about cleaning clubs???
Been playing golf socially for a couple of years but i have now decided to take it more seriously and become a member at a club. From playing socially you always see members as stuck up people who do not want anyone but them on there course so i was quite nervous about doing so and was right when the first time i played without my playing partners i felt quite embarrassed that the long standing member commented on my dirty clubs. I've decided to do some research on cleaning clubs and it came up with all the same stuff just warm water and cloths. So wanted some advice if there was any product/service that is out there that could help me. Saw these forums are very popular so thought would be the best tool to get some advice. My posts are replies to people on here to get more info...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forgive me, but surely it's just common sense that a clean club face will work better on a ball than one still with half a fairway on it.....or am I missing something?
I didn't need anyone to tell me how to clean my clubs, or even why to clean them.......it's just common sense.:)

Welcome BTW:)

dnaylor99

Visit site
Forgive me, but surely it's just common sense that a clean club face will work better on a ball than one still with half a fairway on it.....or am I missing something?
I didn't need anyone to tell me how to clean my clubs, or even why to clean them.......it's just common sense.:)

Welcome BTW:)
Thank you

This is more of a question after the round of golf not during.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you

This is more of a question after the round of golf not during.
Sorry, but my answer applies to during and after the game.
We aren't talking a highly laquered pearlescent paint job, just chrome plated metal:)
I suppose you could use some highly expensive car products and processes, but there would be no point.
If you want, I can let you have some of my £140 a tub car wax, it's 40% Brazillian carnuba.....but it will cost you:)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
After every shot i do wipe my club with the towel on my bag. So you clean them after EVERY round ready for your next one. I played with a member at my club the other day and didn't play very well and he said to me well your clubs are dirty that's not a good start, didn't realise that could affect my game that much. There was some mud on them but not caked in mud. So after every round you would recommend to clean them.

I play regularly with a Pro (who was British Amateur Champion ) and he always says that if you clean your club properly on the course, they don't need cleaning afterwards! :) I do both as a rule.... wipe on bag towel after each shot, and better clean after that when i get home (mostly) Good to clean the grips then too!

Surely the ball with react better off a clear club face than a mucky one! But don't let it spoil your life! As Swango said above - you can still hit bad shots with clean or mucky clubs

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find attacking the dirty grooves of an iron to two with a sharp tee peg a good way to keep my mind from drifting to too many ‘what ifs’ and ‘if onlys’ - especially when playing a match or in a comp if the going is a bit slow. But generally don’t bother that much other than a quick wipe after every shot if the club head picked up a load of muck. I know my pro tells me that I should keep the grooves clean - but at my level of hacking I don’t worry too much if I don’t.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. When i read stuff online on how to clean them it is just hot bucket of water and cloths.

It is important not use use hot water. That will loosen the ferrule (the black bit on the shaft just above the head).

With some grips (notably Winn mid size putter grip) the advice is to just use warm water and no sort of soap.

The two important things are keep the grooves clear of any mud/debris as they are used to channel water away from the ball and if filled will reduce te amopunt od f spin applied to the ball (spin helps to get height not just stop), keep the grips clean as slippery grips will stop you from having a relatively loose grip on the club.

I clean mine after every 2nd or 3rd round.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wipe my clubs after each shot. Then warm soapy water with an old toothbrush then hand dried with an old towel when I get back home - I do this after pretty much every round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Clubs with clean grooves will control the ball better than one clogged as far as I'm aware so makes perfect sense to ensure the club face is as clean (and dry) as possible before hitting a shot. Just something I've done since I started as a kid.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Pros always say they are amazed when they turn up at pro-ams and the amateur has dirty clubs. The grooves are there to help displace water and dirt to allow better friction with the ball. This is true as only a few years back the change the regulation on grooves as pros were getting stupid back spin. Based on this I try to clean my clubs before comps as a minimum and during I make sure the grooves are clear before my next shot.

To do this I use a plastic bristle brush and soapy water but never dip the clubs in the water as it can loosen glue from everywhere. I then pat dry with a towel.

I never use a metal brush as they can be too abrasive.

once a month I also spray the face with WD40 it equivalent (mizuno manufacturer tip) and scrub the grips with a different brush. The WD40 does keep a lot of dirt off.

and after saying all that.....I’m convinced my mates clubs are still in one piece only because of the dirt. They are so old and he’s never cleaned them.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Pros always say they are amazed when they turn up at pro-ams and the amateur has dirty clubs. The grooves are there to help displace water and dirt to allow better friction with the ball. This is true as only a few years back the change the regulation on grooves as pros were getting stupid back spin. Based on this I try to clean my clubs before comps as a minimum and during I make sure the grooves are clear before my next shot.

To do this I use a plastic bristle brush and soapy water but never dip the clubs in the water as it can loosen glue from everywhere. I then pat dry with a towel.

I never use a metal brush as they can be too abrasive.

once a month I also spray the face with WD40 it equivalent (mizuno manufacturer tip) and scrub the grips with a different brush. The WD40 does keep a lot of dirt off.

and after saying all that.....I’m convinced my mates clubs are still in one piece only because of the dirt. They are so old and he’s never cleaned them.

You want friction, yet you spray the faces with WD40? :)