City break recommendations

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Istanbul is amazing, cheap as chips when you are there, taxi's from airport expensive, so pre book someone. Food is amazing, there is a restaurant at the foot of the Martyrs bridge which you can get a boat taxi to, that's pretty awesome.

Madrid would be on my list, the royal gardens are amazing, and there is a wee footy ground you can get a tour of.

Copenhagen is a firm favorite, as is Berlin. Bucharest would be on my list also, Buda doesn't excite me for some reason, been loads and i don't get the appeal.

Praha is great, Zagreb is nice. Sofia is great and you can do that over weekend, a few lovely hotels and restaurants. Not as cheap as you would expect though!

Vienna is amazing, plus you get the option of being about 90 minute drive from Bratislava which is stunning!

Off the beaten track a little for a nice bavarian weekend, i would recommend Wurzburg which is 90 mins or so from Frankfurt by car.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you’ve never been, then Istanbul is a great experience. Topkapi is a full day.
Bit of a culture shock as a whole, though. Be prepared for endless approaches from street hawkers and others trying to get you to enter their shops.
Get used to drinking hot tea from a glass with no milk.
It is this part that puts us off from going. I go on holiday to relax, not to be constantly harrassed. We had that on one of the Greek islands years ago and vowed never again. Some enjoy it, I get that.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As you haven't been already, I'd say Rome.

I much preferred it to Paris. Strikes a good balance between working city and tourist attractions. Got a bit of everything, I loved it, great food too. The public transport isn't as comprehensive as other cities, but most places are walking distance.

I've been to Prague a couple of times, it's nice, but I wouldn't rush back.

sunshine

Visit site
I think I was there for 5 days and found it hugely disappointing.
I ate out each night, including a couple of expensive restaurants (can't remember if they were Michelin starred). I've eaten better pub meals in the UK recently for under a tenner.
The city was interesting during the day, but after the sun went down it was deadly dull - didn't find a decent bar, club or music venue anywhere.
Maybe I was just unlucky.

That’s a bit like visiting London, eating at Wetherspoons and TGI Fridays, and then going home and saying London is rubbish.

RichA

Visit site
That’s a bit like visiting London, eating at Wetherspoons and TGI Fridays, and then going home and saying London is rubbish.
The places I ate at were independent, highly rated, expensive, contemporary restaurants. So, no - your assumption is utter tripe.

sunshine

Visit site
Some great recommendations here, enough for a lifetime of city breaks. Love a city break, before kids I used to do at least three a year.

As the Op askedfor recommendations beyond the obvious destinations, I'd suggest:
Spain: Valencia is the home of paella and has a bit of everything, Sevilla, Madrid is under rated, Palma, Granada is stunning.
Norway: Bergen is beautiful and amazing fresh fish in the harbour.
Italy: Florence, Venice, Naples
Portugal: Lisbon, really enjoyed the modern restaurants and bars down by the docks as well as the old town up on the hill.
France: Nice, Monaco
Helsinki was better than I expected and the food was amazing

Visit site
Thanks all for the input, return flights to Madrid booked, £127 for the two of us. Bernabau is definitely on the to do list, just haven't told her yet ??
Had a great break there about 4 years ago (and I've been there previously a few times aeons ago)
Stayed centrally (around Puerto del Sol) - walked most places as everything of interest is literally a 10 minute walk away
Get to the Prado - just stunning - and the best Bosch collection in the world - can go to the modern art museum next door (almost) just to see Picasso's Guernica - thought provoking and seriously worth doing (better than the Bernabeu)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the input, return flights to Madrid booked, £127 for the two of us. Bernabau is definitely on the to do list, just haven't told her yet ??
Get the cable car up to the zoo and keep your eyes peels towards the road below, winding it's way up through the bushes. When we were there a few years ago, the hookers were plying their trade to passing motorists and were not shy about flashing their wares, or getting down to business in the bushes. As it was New Year, there wasn't much leave coverage so got an interesting view!

babylonsinger

Visit site
Enjoyed Madrid when I went a few years back. Did the Bernabeu tour and aside from being harrassed by people collecting for various charities outside it was impressive.

Can't say I did much of the tourist sights but would highly recommend the Mercado San Miguel if you find yourselves anywhere near the Plaza Mayor - lots of stalls with various decent food and drinks.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Rome for me is magical, very busy but a must see place.
Other than that in Europe I would add Barcelona as my second followed by Lisbon.
Paris is also nice as is Amsterdam but the first 3 are my faves of where I have visited as City breaks.
Further away, New york and Chicago are great to see.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Especially if you get a 'real' driver rather than the recorded message. He told us to skip the brewery and spend more time at the prison, a great tip.

We did. Just pulling away from St. Pat's cathedral (I think) & he stops by the cemetery entrance; "Does anyone do crosswords?" A few hands go up. "The guy that invented the crossword puzzle is buried in there; if you want to pay your respects, go through the gate, he's 4 down and 2 across...".

It was like that for the whole tour.

sunshine

Visit site

If you’re there for the weekend, at least one of the big clubs will be at home. There’s actually four in the first division as Getafe and Rayo Vallecano are also in Madrid.

Prado museum is superb especially the Goya collection is amazing. Loads of art in Madrid: Picasso, Miro, Dali, Velazquez.

Chueca is the most fun area for a night out, think Old Compton St in London. You can bar hop all night.

It gets very hot in summer and all the locals leave for the coast or mountains.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been to Madrid, dozens. You have made a very good choice ?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just waiting for flight to board after a long weekend in Palma, absolutely superb few days, food and drink was excellent and seemed very cheap compared to the summer months.
Everyone seemed to be wearing masks without a second thought also.
Back to work on Wednesday for three days then another long weekend in St Andrews ?