Choosing golf course to be a member

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My mates Father in law's a member of St. Augustine, I like to play there as the walk is very easy and flat compared to my place.

Leaving friends is one of the reasons why I wouldn't move courses, I've met a few people there since joining that I consider good friends and I love spending time with them when playing.

Saying that North Foreland's a lovely course.

The OP might find that if he mentions to his current PPs that he is thinking of moving, some of them may be tempted to join him.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I didn't give Fragger or CVG the choice....I took the membership forms round to them, waited while they filled them in and then them back to the club....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I didn't give Fragger or CVG the choice....I took the membership forms round to them, waited while they filled them in and then them back to the club....

I can’t believe you were that keen to carry on playing golf with fragger

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
January is a great time to evaluate a course to join..... you get to see it at its worse! :ROFLMAO:

We all have different priorities in a club. I drive 25 minutes and past two hotel courses to the course I am a member of. I was at a course with a hotel on it before we moved over here, and I wasn't going to go through that again.

I'd always ask myself the question, would you enjoy playing this courses every week? What are the other inmates like? I'd rather it was nearer, but I can put up with that. St Pierre is 5 mins away from home, so I use the range there. Also, I use the divide the annual subs by the number of rounds you play and see if it makes sense rule!

Mind you, I am the sort of person who would move house just to be near a good course (if my wife would let me!)

Teebs

Visit site
Just seen on Instagram

Rudding Park, Harrogate

Spa & Golf membership
£3,660 Individual
£5,700 Joint

Crikey.

Mandofred

Visit site
Just seen on Instagram

Rudding Park, Harrogate

Spa & Golf membership
£3,660 Individual
£5,700 Joint

Crikey.
Just checked online. £1720 for full golf....the big number is if you want the spa etc. I haven't played there, but I have played with people who were kicked off their tee times if someone from the hotel wanted to play......that's a big no-no for me.
Harrogate £1285
Knaresborough about £1200

Even £1720 I'm thinking is pushing it.

Oakdale where I am is still thinking and I haven't heard anything yet, but was £1200 for the current year. They evidently are considering not increasing prices, although I tend to think they have to increase a little bit just to deal with the inflation if nothing else.

I think most of the courses around here re-new 1 April.....so the above numbers I would think will be higher once the courses make their final decisions.....should start to hear rumors in another month or so.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just checked online. £1720 for full golf....the big number is if you want the spa etc. I haven't played there, but I have played with people who were kicked off their tee times if someone from the hotel wanted to play......that's a big no-no for me.
Harrogate £1285
Knaresborough about £1200

Even £1720 I'm thinking is pushing it.

Oakdale where I am is still thinking and I haven't heard anything yet, but was £1200 for the current year. They evidently are considering not increasing prices, although I tend to think they have to increase a little bit just to deal with the inflation if nothing else.

I think most of the courses around here re-new 1 April.....so the above numbers I would think will be higher once the courses make their final decisions.....should start to hear rumors in another month or so.

£1720 for Rudding Park is laughable. Unless there has been a lot of change over the last few years I wouldn’t pay half that.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Just seen on Instagram

Rudding Park, Harrogate

Spa & Golf membership
£3,660 Individual
£5,700 Joint

Crikey.
Rudding Park, another course I'll not be going back to. A long story involving the society that went out before us, the five and a half hour round and the marshall who was less than useless. A long story best left untold.

Teebs

Visit site
Rudding Park, another course I'll not be going back to. A long story involving the society that went out before us, the five and a half hour round and the marshall who was less than useless. A long story best left untold.

It's a dreary day, come on, full story!

Teebs

Visit site
In regards to Rudding Park, i'm yet to have a decent experience there. The short course (Repton?) was in horrific condition late Summer, tees like the rough and poor greens - really un-kept and expensive for what it is. Driving range is expensive and some of the staff just don't seem to care.
Had a feeling of being run on a bit of a shoestring yet demands high prices across the board..

Mandofred

Visit site
If it had been a shorter drive, I'd have stayed at Ripon instead of switching. But it was 25+ min drive compared to 7-8 now. I haven't kept up on the gossip, but Ripon was trying to buy their old front 9 from the church who own it and want to sell....not going so well last I heard. I liked Ripon since it was basically 2 different courses in one. But then again, if I lived on the south side of Harrogate I'd probably head towards Scarcroft or Moor Allerton.

Oh, and Ripon is £929

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know both st Augustine’s and north foreland well.

Of the two, north foreland is streets ahead from the perspective of what matters to me, but I’m guessing the pricing matches that.

Personally, I’d sooner be a member of westgate and birchington than st Augustine’s, but that’s just me. Actually though, I would be a member of North Foreland, for me there is no comparing them.

For those saying that if you live on the coast you should go for a links, north foreland is dry even though not a links. It’s cliff top on chalk.

The only thing I find with it is there seems to be runs of holes facing the same way so the wind can make those bits hard going.

I can’t imagine anyone regretting making the switch from St Augustine’s to north foreland. The only caveat being if you had a really good group you play with at st Augustine’s, which doesn’t sound like it’s the case. Certainly not an irreplaceable group.

KentRed007

Visit site

Of the two, north foreland is streets ahead from the perspective of what matters to me, but I’m guessing the pricing matches that.

Personally, I’d sooner be a member of westgate and birchington than st Augustine’s, but that’s just me. Actually though, I would be a member of North Foreland, for me there is no comparing them.

For those saying that if you live on the coast you should go for a links, north foreland is dry even though not a links. It’s cliff top on chalk.

The only thing I find with it is there seems to be runs of holes facing the same way so the wind can make those bits hard going.

I can’t imagine anyone regretting making the switch from St Augustine’s to north foreland. The only caveat being if you had a really good group you play with at st Augustine’s, which doesn’t sound like it’s the case. Certainly not an irreplaceable group.
Good to hear someone who knows the three courses that are close to Ramsgate where I live.

The wind also impacts St A but perhaps not as strong. I also agree about Westgate, I enjoyed the round but, getting there is more of a faff and the clubhouse at NF is much nicer. Will still visit for a round though.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I could not have said it better. Agree with all of the above 100%.