chipping yips

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
simple

1. put the ball back in your stance. off the back foot.
2. lean some weight onto your left side. keep it there.
3. grip down sightly and move your hands also to the left. have you hands in line with your left thigh.
4. swing back and make a slightly decending blow into the ball. DO NOT SCOOP ! keep your hands ahead of the club head.

if you do this and hold the grip tight then you will hit a nice clip of a chip shot. alot of people talk about soft hands. i am practising this shot over 100 times every day at the minute. this is the best way to do it imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48PlO1NUvUs&feature=related

this is something similar to jim here. i have my hands slightly further forward than jim also the ball slightly further back.

try it now if you can :) weight on the left side is the most important part then decending blow!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello Kevin and welcome
By chipping I assume you mean short shots from around the green.

Use your putting stance/stroke/grip with a 5 iron until you feel comfortable and accurate then just work your way down the clubs.
I tend to use an 8 iron where I can, try to avoid using anything higher than a 9 iron.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello Kevin and welcome

Use your putting stance/stroke/grip with a 5 iron until you feel comfortable and accurate then just work your way down the clubs.
I tend to use an 8 iron where I can, try to avoid using anything higher than a 9 iron.

Works for me!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
like gareth says, what is it yoyr having problems with, ill also add, what yardage is giving problems, and is it chipping or pitching strokes that are the worst?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello Kevin and welcome

I am with you on that doon. My first choice around the green is always my 7i. Easy little shot to play. I think too many people try and manipulate shots too often around the green. If you want to just chip it on and let it run out then use less loft, not more loft, then try and de loft it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
'chipping yips' will impact a 7iron as much as a wedge, as anyone who has experienced them will tell you. it can strike the most competent of golfers (as can putting) and is closer to a complete inability to take the club away from the ball than simply gettting the ground when using a wedge etc

the only cure is to rebuild your confidence, which in itself will require competence, such that the only thing you eventually consider when playing the shots is the positive outcomes, and the ball going in the hole.

this process starts with good lies and easy shots - as above this will be an 8 iron from the fringe to a flat green (or sloping toward you) to prove that 'it's easy' to you inner demons. then gradually moving on over time to the same underlying shot with a lob wedge in a poor lie 5 yds above a steeply sloping away from you green with water the other side!

it's about being able to perform under pressure - generally with such yips you create the pressure, and it grows until you just can't perform.

you can't cure it but you can do your best to conquer it

to anyone who truly believes they don't suffer in any way from performance related pressure I suggest you go into the garden and hit a few short lob shots from good lies - then place a nice pane of glass on it's edge 6ft in front of you and play the same shots over this - even better if you have a greenhouse and can play shots over that..... the latter will emulate the way a yip sufferer can feel faced with a really simple chip from the edge of a green!

roekevin1982

Visit site
thankyou for all the relpys, all taking on board my biggest problem is chipping the ball with a card in hand, i partice good then when i get to the course my action brakes down, with every short shot, need a way to get of getting partice to the course,

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
heres luke doing a front edge chip. this is the kind of shot im working on getting away from. this is fine is there is a small bank to go up. even then a 60 for this shot seems excessive. i tend to put the ball in the air a little too much. why he is using a 60 here im not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETO0SvEBXts

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
thankyou for all the relpys, all taking on board my biggest problem is chipping the ball with a card in hand, i partice good then when i get to the course my action brakes down, with every short shot, need a way to get of getting partice to the course,

Sounds to me like you're being too mechanical with your swing.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

do you practie at all before starting your round. you may just need to oil the hinges before you play for real. all the pros do it. most amatures dont. i think you will find it helpfull to do a few simple chips before you tee off just to build up some confidence.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
'chipping yips' will impact a 7iron as much as a wedge, as anyone who has experienced them will tell you. it can strike the most competent of golfers (as can putting) and is closer to a complete inability to take the club away from the ball than simply gettting the ground when using a wedge etc

the only cure is to rebuild your confidence, which in itself will require competence, such that the only thing you eventually consider when playing the shots is the positive outcomes, and the ball going in the hole.

this process starts with good lies and easy shots - as above this will be an 8 iron from the fringe to a flat green (or sloping toward you) to prove that 'it's easy' to you inner demons. then gradually moving on over time to the same underlying shot with a lob wedge in a poor lie 5 yds above a steeply sloping away from you green with water the other side!

it's about being able to perform under pressure - generally with such yips you create the pressure, and it grows until you just can't perform.

to anyone who truly believes they don't suffer in any way from performance related pressure I suggest you go into the garden and hit a few short lob shots from good lies - then place a nice pane of glass on it's edge 6ft in front of you and play the same shots over this - even better if you have a greenhouse and can play shots over that..... the latter will emulate the way a yip sufferer can feel faced with a really simple chip from the edge of a green!

Only 'proper' response to the OP's problem.

My sympathy and best wishes!

I've seen a fellow hacker with chipping yips - he 'cured' them using the claw grip he used to overcome his putting yips!
Also seen a Pro with chipping yips. Absolutely devastating to observe! I get a bit 'quick' from dodgy lies, but watching someone with chipping yips is like watching an octopus play golf - everything gets out of sequence and un-coordinated in a desparate attempt to actually swing the club back (in the first place) and through!

I don't believe there is a general cure, you just have to find what helps you overcome it. Breathing properly might help. Accepting a bogey is an easy solution for we hackers - not for Pros though! Valium, Prozac or Beta-blockers (or alcoholic replacements)?

Yips are definitely something unique to golf! And it's always a battle for a sufferer to work out whether the lack of confidence causes bad technique or bad technique causes lack of confidence. Somehow, and it could just involve a change of wedge/bounce, the faith in the chip swing has to be rediscovered!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
easiest way to drop the pressure on yourself is to accept that you wont hole this chip but happy to get it in a general area. this reduces the pressure although it is in complete contrast to many that say to concentrate on a small area. (see luke in the vid above).

aiming at a small area is fine if your chipping well. not for someone who has the yips.

i would like to see a video of this. its something none suffers find hard to comprehend.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
easiest way to drop the pressure on yourself is to accept that you wont hole this chip but happy to get it in a general area. this reduces the pressure although it is in complete contrast to many that say to concentrate on a small area. (see luke in the vid above).

aiming at a small area is fine if your chipping well. not for someone who has the yips.

i would like to see a video of this. its something none suffers find hard to comprehend.

this is fine for those with a lack of competence, or a fear of thinning it, leaving it short etc but you need to think more about a player whose 10ft from the green and his playing partners would be happy to bet £10 he won't get the ball on the green!

the video could be rather boring, guy standing frozen over a chip for 2 minutes completely unable to take the club back - then something happens and the ball may, or may not, have moved...basically yips are a complete loss of motor control.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

All quite correct Duncan

My regular partner would probably still be close to a single figure handicap if he hadn't got the yips. He now plays off 17, he has a long delightful draw off the tee and putts with his belly putter from anywhere where he can, rather than pitch or chip. He has a very fast decelerating action when trying to chip and usually scuds the ball 60 yards from a 10 yard attempt, or, the club takes a huge divot and the ball travels inches. We've all tried to help but it makes no difference.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hi Kevin

I'm just coming out of the other side of this problem, had this exact issue for the last 2 years. Work on technique and lots of practice. Then more practice. After that, practice a bit more! It's the only way.

I was getting very flicky with the wrists and thinning or chunking everything. So I worked endlessly on hands ahead of the ball, arms tucked into my sides and then just rocking my shoulders, minimum number of moving parts. Keep your tempo smooth and even, no sudden increase in speed. SMMOOOOOTTHHH is the way to do it. My game isn't back to where it used to be but at least I now don't have a nervous breakdown over every chip shot. Every time I get up and down I bank a bit more confidence.

There was a standing joke with the guys I play with that I could hit any green on the course from 150 yards but none of them from 10 yards. It's a horrible place to be but keep the faith and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Spot on. Suffered for years and finally gave up playing due to the chipping yips. Never had them with the putter though, so one solution is to play on links courses and putt from off the green.;)