Relief from fusarium patch on the green?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our place had a course health report done by some official body last year and were advised to stronger type of grass to overcome disease. A Bent mix I think
One of the things I have noticed, having been at the same course for nearly 40 years, we never had a problem with fungal patches on our course until we started to introduce bent grass to the greens.

From

Main grasses affected​

Annual meadow grass: Poa annua is especially susceptible to this disease.

Browntop bent: Agrostis castellana 'Highland' more so than Agrostis capillaris cultivars.
Creeping bentgrass: Agrostis stolonifera

Perennial Ryegrass (Lolium perenne) and Smooth stalked meadow grass (Poa pratensis) are only moderately susceptible to fusarium attack.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem is choosing a variety of grass that doesn't have one problem or another. The latter two are coarser and not so commonly used on putting greens these days as the green speed is limited. Bents are less susceptible to red thread.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow... that's as bad as it gets if preventative spraying is not done routinely when conditions make greens vulnerable. Must have been June or July before that green recovered.
Wow... that's as bad as it gets if preventative spraying is not done routinely when conditions make greens vulnerable. Must have been June or July before that green recovered.
That photo was taken in late June/early July. The course may not have gotten the fungicide spray down in the fall before snowfall (which can happen quickly and sooner than predicted).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That photo was taken in late June/early July. The course may not have gotten the fungicide spray down in the fall before snowfall (which can happen quickly and sooner than predicted).
It needs regular preventative treatment all year if the grasses are inherently susceptible.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Fusarium wilts are often diseases of hot weather and warm soils.
"Warm soils" can occur when the snow comes and stays before there has been sufficient frost. The snow then acts as insulation for the soil, keeping it significantly warmer than ambient temperatures.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Warm soils" can occur when the snow comes and stays before there has been sufficient frost. The snow then acts as insulation for the soil, keeping it significantly warmer than ambient temperatures.
Yes our GK explained it is like a greenhouse and keeps the soil warm .
Perfect for Fusie.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the things I have noticed, having been at the same course for nearly 40 years, we never had a problem with fungal patches on our course until we started to introduce bent grass to the greens.

From

Main grasses affected​

Annual meadow grass: Poa annua is especially susceptible to this disease.

Browntop bent: Agrostis castellana 'Highland' more so than Agrostis capillaris cultivars.
Creeping bentgrass: Agrostis stolonifera

Perennial Ryegrass (Lolium perenne) and Smooth stalked meadow grass (Poa pratensis) are only moderately susceptible to fusarium attack.
I was just trying to recall the type Jim. Not saying I was correct 😉