Chipping Yips

Visit site
Anybody had them - shocking

I play off of 6, so can get the ball round. However, during the last 2 weeks I've developed the chipping yips, where I either duff or knife little chips.
I know the technical issues and don't have much of a problem practicing, but on the course is a different matter.

I think I need one simple swing thought, that is easy to achieve, which takes my mind off of the technical components.

Help needed asap, before it gets in-grained

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And I say unto ye...

Enter ye unto the world of the Cleveland Niblick.

Doubtest ye not that it maketh thee look like a right plonker.

Be thine rest assured that it is undoubtestly a case of 'How many' and never, as spake the untrue, 'How'.

Join ye into the new church of total faith and low, low scores.

Thus endeth the lesson.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Congratulations getting down to 6 obviously a good golfer :)
So I can assume your backswing isn't too long
Your followthrough isn't too short?
Are you maybe using a club with too straight a face. 7, 8 iron?
Or you are using too much wrist hinge?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
posted this in the hook chip thread...

i play my hands infront of the ball slightly. ball middle of stance.pick landing spot. pretend to throw a ball to the hole for the speed of strike. couple of practice sweeps at that pace. then hit. 52 wedge most of the time. can throw them up with the 56 and 60 when necessary!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 'Sherman Chip' in my experience comes from pulling the club too far inside during the back swing and then presenting an open clubface back to the ball. Try taking out all wrist and forearm rotation from the shot.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I too struggled with chipping to the point i was stuck, tried most standard methods, even the putt chip

Nothing improved until i changed to the following

feet only approx 4 to 6" apart ( no more )more weight on lead leg and play ball opposite back foot toe

The major point ( as most of above is standard ) was to keep accelerating with my arms ending higher which stopped my wrist flipping, the results have been superb.

So in summary for me it was the follow through that stopped my flipping, also the tip from Tom Watson feeling like your rear leg knee moves towards your front leg during the downswing.

Hope it helps, it changed my chipping to a more reliable outcome 9/10 times