Chipping/pitching lesson drill

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the 'not too much shaft lean' approach. If you keep the bounce of the club lower than the leading edge it's almost impossible to fat it.

Then when you have confidence that you won't fat it you can hit down on the ball without fear and lose the thins too.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What wedges are you using john? do you have any bounce to assist you?

Watching that chipping video of yours, the thing I don't like is the fact the backswing is much shorter than the follow through. I couldn't chip like that if you paid me. Swap those around.

You could try this, works a treat for me...

Stand slightly open, hands a touch ahead. Weight slightly forward, ball middle to back foot. Open the blade a touch to increase the bounce. Make a slightly cutting, steepish back swing out to in and hit half an inch behind the ball. the bounce will slide that blade in under the ball on those tight lies.

Coming in too shallow on tight lies in a killer. once you are in that set up, think, ''half way back, all the way through''.

Works all day long

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As gary says too steep on tight lies is a no no. I get in the same boat sometimes then I have to go back to basics
Even though it's only a short distance to pitch you still have to rotate back and through meaning hips which sometimes gets forgotten. This brings the club in a shallower plane minimising the leading edge digging in to the turf
I also give a millisecond of delay at the top to give time for my torso to unwind this stops the arms taking over
When going for the pin take aim, mentally picture how hard to hit then concentrate on the swing. That's my mind set when things go wrong

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
It's mental John.

I can chip nicely in the garden, but once I hit the course my hands have a mind of their own. All the negative thoughts before you take the club back are a killer. Chipping on the range and chipping on the course are totally different. No nerves on the range. Duff one what does it matter next ten are almost certainly going to be good. On the course duff one, and all the negative thoughts return and the next one will be even harder to hit well.

I have been using a hybrid to chip with which is good off tight lies, and when you can run the ball in links style. Knowing you can't shank it helps.;)

Trying to get the perfect technique is great, but there is still the mental side to conquer. I play with two mates that are brilliant chippers, techniques are not great, but what they both have is no fear of the shot.

I am sure that a lot of golfers that have never suffered chipping yips, don't really understand the problem. Good luck.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My last reply was for pitching, chipping in my mind is easier to execute as it's basically a putting motion with an iron with the club head flatter to the ground used when there is a clear path to the green, whether you place it back or middle of your stance depends on the amount of loft/roll you need, also use a weaker grip for more loft and the reverse for a stronger grip
It is a mental part of the game using delicate shots especially on tighter lies where thoughts run through your head, like blading is my worst thought so I have to put it back in my stance to make sure I hit ball first
Keep plugging away, we all suffer from the same negative thoughts many times during a round

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
JF, as a last resort have a go at linear method. Really simple and I find I keep the club moving through better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpe8iXkMZc

I used this quite a bit today when practising. I like it for pitching, not so much for the chipping. Prefer the hinge and hold big Philly style.

The main thing is too keep a light grip with the left hand and slightly tighter with the right. Works really well - linear method that is.

Completely opposite technique to hinge and hold.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Since Homer suggested the Linear method I have been trying it and so far its working well, but can still duff a few, but this is probably because I still tend to quit on the shot some times, resulting in a thin shot because I have not rotated around my front leg enough, so I feel I need to practice more.

What I have found is the the Lob using this method is really good because I know I have to commit to the shot