Chipping off mats

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Had my first experience of a simulator this morning and on the whole was pretty impressed. My distances were all as can normally be expected (350 yard drives etc etc!!;)).

Played a few holes and was going great until I had to chip, I darn well struggled to even hit the screen off the mats! Shanks all over the place. My chipping is usually pretty solid but put a ball on a mat and I'm hopeless. Why could this happen?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you're anything like me and have a short game based primarily on instinct with a little bit of technique, chipping to a screen would be a nightmare! No way could I 'see' the shot I was trying to play standing on a flat mat in front of a screen.

If your short game focus on technique with a little bit of feel then I would imagine it would be slightly easier, although still a challenge!

Either way I wouldn't worry about it, those places are good fun for hitting the ball as hard as you can and pretending you're on a nice course, not for reducing your handicap!

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
shanking chips is commonplace!

Things that help are, in no particular order, with some working more/or less for each individual

- strong left hand grip
- ensuring you take the club head straight back, straight through and across
- try pulling the grip through to the left after contact with the ball
- put more weight on front foot
- get your head and eyes in front of the ball
- focus on one dimple on the ball
- keep your head down until after contact

think............Up, down, across

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site