Chipping Help

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am having major problems from about 30yrds from the green up to the green with my chipping, from 50 yards I usually pitch the ball but round the green hopeless, shanking hitting it fat double rappers...is there a simple video on the net that would help me ,I have seen simple ones From J furick..(spelling wrong) and others but I just need simple advice ..ball position etc wedge rolls 1/2 8 iron 1/3 6 iron 1/4 .I have tried clubs specially for chipping but they don't work.
I know I can go to local pro ,but need a little advice so I can put the time in to remedy my chipping.
Stats... 71 years old 23 handicap, should be 16/17...keen golfer play 2/3 times per week

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Chippers or 'Texas wedges' as they're more commonly known are good practice aids, supposed to be used like a putter although a little more 'user input' and they're good for about 30yds (a little more if you get the swing right) I've got a 'Slotline inertia chipper' that I use sometimes if my chipping gets a bit wayward, soon gets you back on track although a little 'bump n run' with an 8 iron does the same job if used in the same way...:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Think of it as a putt. That has helped me the most. Set up to it in all the ways the tip videos describe, so weight forward, hip slightly open if you like, hands a little forward and all that, but then just sroke the ball with the feeling you would have for a longer putt, so just by rocking the shoulder-line. I found that helps to keep the wrists and especially the upper body calm and also to accelerate through the ball even though the movement as a whole is rather slow.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
bobmacs advice of setting up an iron across two range buckets works.

You try and hit the ball under the shaft, magically the ball goes over it! It's a great strike training tip.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Chippers or 'Texas wedges' as they're more commonly known are good practice aids, supposed to be used like a putter although a little more 'user input' and they're good for about 30yds (a little more if you get the swing right) I've got a 'Slotline inertia chipper' that I use sometimes if my chipping gets a bit wayward, soon gets you back on track although a little 'bump n run' with an 8 iron does the same job if used in the same way...:thup:

I always thought a Texas Wedge was when you putted from off the green, only heard it referenced once though, when Constatina Rocca holed out in the Open after a duffed chip to force a play off against Daly

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I always thought a Texas Wedge was when you putted from off the green, only heard it referenced once though, when Constatina Rocca holed out in the Open after a duffed chip to force a play off against Daly

Basically it's a lofted putter, around the 45* mark I think...

ps, 35.5* apparently... IMG_1145.jpg

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
A Texas Wedge is a putt from off the green.

A Chipper is, well it's a Chipper.

To the OP, I think it was garyinderry that posted a video that really helped with my bump and runs. Search 'garyinderry chipping' and a thread with some videos should appear near the top.

G

guest100718

well according to many on here,its easier to get down from 100 yds than 30 or 40....so just lay up...

failing that, if there are no obstacles in the way then 7 or 8i bump and run is pretty easy.

Play it like a putt with the shaft pretty upright and just swing back and through, no wrists.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't know if I would go to Rick Shiels for chipping help. I love him. I really do. But chipping is absolutely not his strong suit. Peter Finch on the other hand is much much better around the greens and has some good videos on chipping also.

G

guest100718

some good stuff from Luke donald on youtube too, he has a decent short game

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Most important points;

Hands ahead of the ball.
Feet together and pointing slightly left.
Weight forward.
Lower body and head remain motionless, just like a putt.

The above encourages a ball-first, downward strike.

Hope that helps.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Why not go to your pro though. He will pick up what you are doing wrong straight away, and then you can just practice what he preaches. Not sure I would want chipping advice from a mid handicapper that hasn't seen you chip.

Alternatively ping Bobmac a pm. He is a decent chap and will give you some help, and he is a pro.:thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;EistB62E6pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EistB62E6pw&t=5s[/video]

This is great for bump and runs. Nice simple running shot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;YQnQRdSy2Ak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQnQRdSy2Ak&t=159s[/video]

Some nice work here from Peter finch. Standard chip and pitching technique.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Phil secrets of the short game. The daddy of tutorials. If you can't pick up a tip of two from this then you never will. :rofl:

Enjoy. Try stuff out, then watch again and again.

[video=youtube;GhzY7TIMnMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhzY7TIMnMU&t=591s[/video]