Chipping and short game issues

D

Deleted member 21258

Tight lies, I always look to not use bounce clubs.

It you can use an 8 or 9 iron the better.

If you have to get over a bunker and tight lie, then a lot trickier, takes lots of practise and great strikes and tend to use a low bounce low wedge, hard shot to pull off and tends to come out a bit low still.

Visit site
This shot has saved me umpteen shots just off the green whether lush grass, tightly mown, or bare lies. I play my 50° with the toe on the ground and heel in the air. You have to stand really close to the ball and have the shaft vertical, with hands slightly ahead of the ball with a putting stroke. The contact with the ball is bordering on the smooth part of the toe and the line of the grooves. It lifts the ball in the air lands softly and rolls out. Great if you’ve got bare lies between you and the green.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Putting from off the green in this situation would be my choice
Bob I read a mag on the way over that discussed all aspects of the game. I took a interest in chipping..its not new news but again chipping g or putting with the hybrid was mentioned in great detail. Thoughts on that one please as ave never really tried it.
Plus edit to say. The op says he is good with flop shots but this particular pro said the way forward is to use owt from a 7 iron upwards to get it to land on the green and to run out and only use the flop shot when you can get the club under it when the ball is sat up in grass..less chance of topping it.

Fabia999

Visit site
buy new clubs, I'm sure that's the answer to everything.

Possibly see a pro to improve it?

failing that, personally, I'd be tempted to stick with a 7/8 iron, distance dependant, and hit a bump and run and take your short chipping onto the practice area until improvement.

or look at getting a chipper, but don't tell anybody you've got one and only hit when nobody is looking because apparently everyone hates them/anyone who uses one..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've done more putting from off the green in the last month than I have in the last 5 years....
Approaches at Ellesborough are so good it's a no-brainer.
When I'm off the nice turf the only struggle I have is moving my head before I hit the ball...keep it still and it's fine but I'm in a bit of a rut with this at the moment.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So got out today, all updates have been instigated no rakes , no flag poles etc ..
So I dropped the loft and did the toe down heel up straight through... worked a treat. Thank you for the advice.

Visit site
So got out today, all updates have been instigated no rakes , no flag poles etc ..
So I dropped the loft and did the toe down heel up straight through... worked a treat. Thank you for the advice.
If you practise it enough to the point that you’re comfortable with the shot, you’d be surprised how far you can actually strike the ball. I’ve hit 20-30yrd shots and surprised how much spin and control you get.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you practise it enough to the point that you’re comfortable with the shot, you’d be surprised how far you can actually strike the ball. I’ve hit 20-30yrd shots and surprised how much spin and control you get.
Problem is the practice ground doesn’t offer these types of shots.. but given the quietness on course I am sure I can get some more practice in.

D

Deleted member 23344

I like to bump and run too ... PW if just off the green, 8 iron if a bit further away.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Tight lies, I always look to not use bounce clubs.

It you can use an 8 or 9 iron the better.

If you have to get over a bunker and tight lie, then a lot trickier, takes lots of practise and great strikes and tend to use a low bounce low wedge, hard shot to pull off and tends to come out a bit low still.
And yet Stan Utley, short game expert, in his book "The Art of the Short Game" tells how he hit a perfect pitch with a 12° bounce from the club car park.