Chipper

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think there's a typo in that message as you surely meant SW or LW from 165 yards!
#forumdistances

It was a little lay up 6i. I had hoped to feather it in with a baby fade, float it in to the pin, and stop it dead on the 2nd bounce.
Obviously I could have gone eyeballs out with a 50. It was an option, but instead I went with the thin 6.

To be fair, I think the main issue was the drive. Just the 320 carry off the tee didn't get me near enough.

Gufit

Visit site
I had a lot of different golf clubs. Initially, I bought ordinary iron clubs for a penny from an older adult. I used them for a long time since golf was just a hobby for me. Then I decided to try other clubs. Now I have concluded that Ping clubs are the best for me. I want to share with you this article https://golfwithasmile.com/irons/best-ping-irons/ , which contains a lot of useful information about golf clubs. Even for a person like me who has been playing golf for more than 10 years, it was interesting to find out new details on 2019 clubs.

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a lot of different golf clubs. Initially, I bought ordinary iron clubs for a penny from an older adult. I used them for a long time since golf was just a hobby for me. Then I decided to try other clubs. Now I have concluded that Ping clubs are the best for me. I want to share with you this article (Blog link removed) which contains a lot of useful information about golf clubs. Even for a person like me who has been playing golf for more than 10 years, it was interesting to find out new details on 2019 clubs.
Are you Joe Kelly?

Really do not understand what the article has to do with chippers

Last edited by a moderator:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see people taking out a 60* wedge for a 20 yard chip over flat clear ground...

I want to yell at the “take a 7 iron!!!!!”

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
If you are a lot more confident over (long) putts than you are over a chip of the same length, then a chipper can help, because visually it sets up more like a putter. (I find you can just as easy do a putting motion with an 8 or 9 iron to get a similar result, but I get that lining up the chipper might feel more familiar) But I find chippers very one-dimensional, because you cannot change the angle of attack depending on the lie and on how much fringe/rough you might need to cover. I bought one on ebay when I first started playing, but apart from a few rounds early on I have never really used it much and took it out of the bag rather quickly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see people taking out a 60* wedge for a 20 yard chip over flat clear ground...

I want to yell at the “take a 7 iron!!!!!”
Funny you should say that, I recently played with a mate who's a beginner this year. He did the same, pulling the 60 for short chips, and I thought the same as you and told him so as a bit of advice. But he then proceeded to chip quite well with it, and when he tried my idea of using the 8 iron later on, it was rubbish and he chunked it well off the other side of the green. Each to their own I suppose.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's no place for an ego on the scorecard! Even beside 'Handicap'!

I've tried one and it worked pretty well.

Currently have a Hogan Sure Out 56* Wedge (with enormous sole) in the bag (Bunker woes) that can do/does the same job. Happy to pitch-and-roll with an 8 iron or even a rescue and have been pretty deadly with those at times.

Basically, if it works (better than alternatives) for you, give it a try - provided you 'have space in the bag'.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My brother uses one as he's not confident trying other clubs. Me, I mostly putt with a 9 iron anywhere from 20 - 30 yards out. My lad will always use a wedge, sometimes I look on in horror as he's playing a 58 from two yards out, downhill towards water, but he vindicates himself when he stops it stone dead most of the time. I've tried doing it a few times recently, but the nine iron putt seems to work a lot better for me.