Chipper

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My short game is poor but I think I am on the ego side, I would prefer to practice with other clubs to nail the technique. Been following the vertical club lesson, with toe down and heel slightly raised from fringe. Using putting stroke, it has helped my feel and distance immensely. It also gives you the use of several different lofts depending on flag position! No problem with golfers using chippers, just not for me.

dronfield

Visit site
I had a nice Cleveland one in the bag for a couple of years that could actually be used up to around 30 yards out. Generally i just used it around the green.

Decided it was a bit of a waste of a club and that i should learn to chip/pitch properly.

Can def see the benefit, but not seen anyone using one for some time.

Rich

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just spent an hour practicing with my chipper and while not perfect it was noticeably better than my previous attempts

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening all,played today with a guy who used a chipper quite a lot near the greens,what are people’s thoughts on these and if you use what make ?All replies appreciated🏌️‍♂️

It’s a good option if you can spare the club for it. I’ve seen it used very well in the past.

No different from having a 7 wood or a bunker wedge, choose the right club for your game and maximise your potential.

One word of warning is any short term fix will limit your ability to play your best in the long term. Of course few of us ever have the time to reach our full potential due to other life commitments, work, family etc so I wouldn’t worry as much as you might think you should.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's a legal club, why not have one if it gives you confidence and helps you out.
Who cares what anyone thinks if you use one, all that matters is the score on the card and you hvaing fun.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Blades, and a chipper. I think you might have issues?

May be try playing the right way round might help?

#leftiesaregash?

I have many issues!

I used to play right handed when I first started but had a left handed grip so decided to stand on the other side of ball as changing my grip felt wrong.

D

Deleted member 21258

If it works, use it.

I have a bronty chipper that if anyone that's reading this thread and thinking about trying one for their own use(RH) I could give to you at H4H for free or a small donation to H4H.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If it works, use it.

I have a bronty chipper that if anyone that's reading this thread and thinking about trying one for their own use(RH) I could give to you at H4H for free or a small donation to H4H.

you should also state that it will be given out after the meal and photo's will be published in the next edition of GM

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I have one in the bag but haven't used it in months. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I needed to especially if:

* my chipping is off and I'm in a period of duffing / thinning chips, using the chipper is legal and ensures I get closer to the flag without an escalation of additional shots. When confidence returns I go back to my normal chipping
* I'm just of the fringe in rough and the flag is just on the green and I can't get a feel for the pace of a putt (will it get caught in the rough / grass if I don't it hard enough? will it come out skiddy fast?). My normal chip shot is nowhere near capable of the delicate shot needed, but the chipper again just gives me confidence to get the ball on to the fringe and roll out to the flag.

I know 2 guys who use them extensively (one high and one low handicapper) and it works for them so why change or feel embarrassed? Golf is hard, anything that's legal and helpful, I see no issue.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had a lie just off the 17th green in the comp on Saturday. It was nastilly sat down, against the grain, in 3 inch deep rough. I had about 12" of rough, 3ft of fringe, and about 15ft to the pin. Got to admit, I had no idea how to play it, and made a right mess of it. A chipper is probably the only club that would have been ok. I don't carry one though, as this is probably the only time in 20 years I would have used it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a lie just off the 17th green in the comp on Saturday. It was nastilly sat down, against the grain, in 3 inch deep rough. I had about 12" of rough, 3ft of fringe, and about 15ft to the pin. Got to admit, I had no idea how to play it, and made a right mess of it. A chipper is probably the only club that would have been ok. I don't carry one though, as this is probably the only time in 20 years I would have used it.

SW, face open and play it as a bunker shot

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

maybe try hitting the green next time!