Chipper

Yogidog1

Visit site
Evening all,played today with a guy who used a chipper quite a lot near the greens,what are people’s thoughts on these and if you use what make ?All replies appreciated🏌️‍♂️

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Evening all,played today with a guy who used a chipper quite a lot near the greens,what are people’s thoughts on these and if you use what make ?All replies appreciated🏌️‍♂️
Light the blue touchpaper and retire to a safe distance. These clubs have been mentioned before and lets just say they split opinion. I'm in the no way camp

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it works go for it!

I know lots of good chippers wouldn't use them.
I know lots of bad chippers whose egos won't let them use them.
I know some who chip well with them who were previously poor chippers with regular clubs.

If it works then use it and care not, just enjoy regularly winning the money 👍👍

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My thoughts are exactly the same as in the shoe thread, if it works for you and it's not illegal then go for it.

It's not for me, but I don't care what others do and use providing it's not cheating.

Some people get worked up by them, so maybe they would be a good matchplay weapon to fluster your opponent!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t have a problem if anyone really thinks they need to use them.

Personally don’t see that it does anything that gripping down on an 8 or 9 iron doesn’t do.

I’ve played with a guy who used his to great effect, but personally never condisdered one.

A bit amazed that Odessey have made a premium one of these.

Wolf

Visit site
Personally don't feel the need to use one am happy chipping with any club.

If someone feels they need to use one though then go for it, use whatever kit helps you get the best out of your game and enjoyment from the game to.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I first took up golf I bought a chilled from sport and soccer in London Colney for £3 ,as my mate used one and was deadly with it.But when we moved up here the house has a massive garden to practiced every day chipping with a variety of clubs and got quite good at it. Being a member where I am I rearly chip now, I tend to putt unless there's a bunker in the way, it's the safe shot.

I still have that chi pper somewhere,never sold it with the Dunlop set I used it with, might need it around the new green complexes 😁

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A guy at our club plays off 5 and uses one of those Odyssey Tank chipper things. Not the prettiest of clubs but he’s absolutely deadly from 30yds in.

Give it a go and if it works for you then put it in the bag!!

user104

Visit site
I had one and i would get another ,but i got goodish with a 7 iron and a putting stroke (Pity my driving etc was crap)

i had a mate who at the start he would only use a pitching wedge to pitch and chip etc,etc ........ he was poor but he would not try another club to pitch,chip or bump and run. Eventually he saw the light.

I have heard this before ..............
Look at clubs from years ago............. look at them today
rescue this ,hybrid that, adjust this oh and a wegde you could eat your breakfast cereal with ............ you get my drift ...........and theres names for clubs.......... 7 wood ???

what was a Mashie????............ what was a niblick????

as someone said ......... its ego and the pointed finger and laughter

ok thats my twopenneth worth

roll on spring !!!!!

https://www.golfonline.co.uk/odysse...MIlMT79Lj53wIVGKqaCh2R1QmgEAQYASABEgJwsvD_BwE

yeh go on, treat yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only valid reasons not to carry/use one are:-
1. It doesn't do anything you can't do (as consistently) with an existing club in your bag (they are basically a 7 iron)
2. You need 14 other clubs in your bag to maximise your scoring potential.

The main reasons people don't have/use one are:-
1. Wouldn't be seen dead with one in the bag, let alone use one.
2. Have to carry an M6 driver, 1&2 irons and 5 new matching wedges so, with the putter, 5w, 4h, 7/8/9i you actually needed to get round there's no room in the bag.
3. Never thought about it.
4. Surely they are for people who can't chip?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone got a link to the video of the ladies hitting them at the sky open zone (fun game at the ladies open)

I believe they called it a dodo club and just took the Mickey out of it

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My chipping woes on here are well known but I simply worked hard and practiced it, found a method that worked for me (and sat easily in my golfing mind). I feel I've turned a real corner (today was as bad as it's been for a few months but still acceptable) and so simply don't feel I have a need for a chipper. Call it ego, pride or pig headed (or something else) but I simply wouldn't want one on my bag, especially at the cost of another shot scoring club

If it works, and I've seen people use it to good effect then fair play. As I said at the start I'm a no-way person but that's just my opinion and how I feel about them. Pretty sure my dad had one in his bag and have a recollection of hitting shots in the garden with it but assume I thought it was a "normal" club

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of mates have used them in the past. You will get the mick taken out of you to be fair, but if it works it works. Personally I just don't think you need it taking up a slot in the bag, anything you can do with a chipper you can pretty much do the exact same thing with an 8 iron. That's a shot I tend to use, a sort of putting stroke chip and run with the 8. But if using a chipper restores confidence you've lost in your chipping then go for it. The mates I mentioned who have used it have both only had in the bag for a handful of rounds, and when confidence is restored they took it out again and went back to chipping normally.