Chinese Super League - why?

U

User62651

Why in a nation of 1.3 billion people that don't appear to play football, be interested in or be culturally linked to football is there a demand for a top level football league, one that seems able to generate more wealth than anywhere else already despite not exporting, no one wants to pay to watch this outside of China I dont think.

Oscar and Tevez heading there, Hulk, Pelle and a few other average or former big names there already, just seems like another MLS with the exception in US that at least lot of kids and youths actually play football (soccer).

Pellegrini and Villas Boas managing there.

How can these new teams already be paying players so much in wages? Teves who's well past his best on £600k a week reportedly!!! Madness.

Is the EPL and La Liga going to be left behind in a few years in being able to sign the top players? Some eg Dutch, Belgians, Argentinians, Portuguese etc may say there just getting a taste of their own medicine having pilfered worlds best for 2 decades now.

Believe it's on Sky sports already.

Personally hope it flops so we can keep the best players in Europe and in the Champions League etc. Selfish maybe but trying to get into supporting 'Shanghai Hotspur' or whatever playing 8 or 9 hours ahead of us just wont work for us imo. Those heading to play there feel like mercenaries clearly in the game for £££ and nothing else.

Dont like how this is going personally.

Thoughts?

edit: what is the top rate of tax in China for foreigners earning there?

Last edited by a moderator:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because China.
They have an inferiority complex that they seem to feel the need to be a superpower in every aspect that the west currently excel in hence no aspirations of cricket or rugby..:D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tax rate is low, very low. The club's are billionaires toys. Nothing more. Rich people showing off their new wealth.

You are right, there is little domestic interest. Mercenaries will go there, what loyalty does a Brazilian have to a European league? , but serious players will still remain in Europe for the foreseeable future. It is like football in Qatar, a gimmick.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a bit like the MLS but potentially bigger.
Lots of second rate, past it ex Premier/LaLiga/Bundesliga/SerieA players plus a few big names....
Players only need to stick it for a couple of years and they're made....
Who are these Chinese teams going to play against..?
Can you see European teams flying to China for a midweek cup game..?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No idea out in China, but I know Chinese business men/women get big tax advantages for buying football clubs abroad. Probably the only reason a brother and sister are looking to buy Reading.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's a rich man's playground and players will flock there to play for lots of money. It's the same reason why golf events play there in front of crowds of zero - money.

Any player that goes there is clearly only going for the money and an easy life

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lets face it, footballers seem less and less interested in winning trophies and more interested in earning obscene wages.

Ever since Winston Bogarde was willing to sit on his backside at Chelsea for 40k (incredible really) rather than play the game has been irrevocably heading down this slippery slope.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I stopped my sky tv, I filled in a questionnaire. One of the questions was along the lines of how interested am I in the Chinese super league. You have got to be having a laugh. Sky trying to big up a non event league.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
If the governing authorities of a sport effectively turn it into a competition as to who has the most money, then you can't moan if some upstart with loads of money gets in on the act.

Also heard that team gatherings to play sport, especially football, was mostly frowned upon in China until recently. Where as now it is actively encouraged, especially in schools. So there is an argument that all they are doing is buying in the infrastructure, recognition and knowledge now to facilitate producing home grown talent from a very big pool of players in the future.