Chilcott Iraq Enquiry

U

User62651

What do folks think will come of this report due out next week? Is Tony Blair going to be just lightly criticized or significantly worse? Could the result of the report even lead to an indictment of Blair as an alleged war criminal after all this time?
Blair went along into Iraq hanging onto the coat-tails of US/Bush I recall yet Bush seems to have received little or no criticism from his country for their actions, who we're it seems hell bent on any kind of payback for 9/11 at the time, despite the perpetrators being Saudis in the main and little to do with Iraq, so they allegedly came up with the WMD ruse as a vehicle to steam in.
This report has taken years, costing millions, to say what and will it really be useful as a lesson going forward when undoubtedly our politicians/military will want to get involved somewhere else in time?
Do we expect an establishment cover up with 'classified' stamped all over it or the whole truth for everyone to read?
Lots of lives lost both military and civilian, I don't know if the price paid was worth it, hope it at least uncovers some of the truth and can give some closure to families affected.
I cant remeber all the better known politicians of the day who stood against it except Charles Kennedy RIP.
Thoughts/expectations?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
For me the cost shouldn't have any bearing on the results of the enquiry and equally I don't think the enquiry should be deemed a failure if it doesn't come up with some dirt as long as it has the truth.

I do think though if it has proof that someone deliberately mislead parliament or lied to facilitate the war then they should be charged as a war criminal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was any of the information not already in the public domain? I don't expect to learn anything new and then it comes down purely to your opinion of whether we should have gone in or not. I don't need someone else to make that decision for me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think it will be a whitewash. To do otherwise would lead to a massive slur against America, guilty by association. Have we the guts to do that?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it will be a whitewash. To do otherwise would lead to a massive slur against America, guilty by association. Have we the guts to do that?

I think Corbyn has, I think this is why he won't walk away, he's gunning for Tony and want's his man, IMO.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just seen the 1oclock news.
Not a whitewash is my initial view but a lot to digest.
One comment from a relative and I paraphrase "there is one terrorist still at large Tony Blair "

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Having read the highlights of some of the findings ( BBC news website) in which Blair has sent letters etc to Bush. I do not know how that horrible piece of scum does not rot in jail for the rest of his life. It will be a travesty if he is not answerable for his actions.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having read the highlights of some of the findings ( BBC news website) in which Blair has sent letters etc to Bush. I do not know how that horrible piece of scum does not rot in jail for the rest of his life. It will be a travesty if he is not answerable for his actions.

The headlines don't show the full extent of what was said in those notes to be fair mate. At least that's what I gather.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The headlines don't show the full extent of what was said in those notes to be fair mate. At least that's what I gather.

They don't Beezerk, but he was planning an attack on Saddam the month after 9/11 when saddam had no links with 9/11. He was trying to connect Al Qaiida with Saddam, and no links were ever found. He suggested WMD, none were ever found. he sent ill prepared forces into a war, a war he had planned for some time. When the war was finished, the plans for post Iraq were and still are atrocious. The list goes on and on. It does not read very well for him at all.

How did someone see fit to give him an ambassadors job for the Middle East.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
They don't Beezerk, but he was planning an attack on Saddam the month after 9/11 when saddam had no links with 9/11. He was trying to connect Al Qaiida with Saddam, and no links were ever found. He suggested WMD, none were ever found. he sent ill prepared forces into a war, a war he had planned for some time. When the war was finished, the plans for post Iraq were and still are atrocious. The list goes on and on. It does not read very well for him at all.

How did someone see fit to give him an ambassadors job for the Middle East.

OK mate we'll chew over it on the course one day 👍

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Send Tony Blair to the chair, he should be ashamed of what he put our soldiers through

179 British soldiers killed plus the many deaths of Iraqi men, women and children

40'000 reserves mobilised. Men and women taken from jobs at a cost to the tax payer and to their employers for no reason

The destruction of Iraq as a country

The instability of the world as we know it

He'll never be forgiven