Cheapest UK golf membership 2023 season ?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I play @ a 9 hole course, I'm throwing my toys out the pram and moving after I've failed to get in a comp for Saturday due to HDID being pretty useless @ 7pm most Fridays and reduced times available due to light.

NO play Saturday means I don't need my membership any longer (sue me for £160) we used to have a Sunday option x2 tee times to fill the limited space issue but that's been removed :poop:

SO I'm hunting for BASE membership - I'm Coventry based and closest, cheapest option hunt is on MUST HAVE EGU membership OPTION and online booking for ease :)

Cleeve Hill £150 for points based membership (approx 5 rounds + EGU fee's included) visitor membership is £200 or £250 if you want it to be HOME membership (Luckily I'm 52 miles away and unluckily 1hr 20mins away)

As my previous thread with a GAP year ahead, HOME golf isn't critical for 2023

Onward to smiles and calmness

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Orchardleigh GC (Somerset) £1 per year plus EG and County affiliation costs (which include County Card and Insurance and WHS Club Handicap.

Westonbirt GC (Gloucestershire) - £37 per year which includes EG and County affiliation.

Can't say fairer than that. No idea why anyone would sign up to EG Independent Golfer Scheme which costs more for less.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Orchardleigh GC (Somerset) £1 per year plus EG and County affiliation costs (which include County Card and Insurance and WHS Club Handicap.

Westonbirt GC (Gloucestershire) - £37 per year which includes EG and County affiliation.

Can't say fairer than that. No idea why anyone would sign up to EG Independent Golfer Scheme which costs more for less.

That's really interesting, do you know how it work in real life. If I were to become a member of Orchardleigh for instance would I be required to play any rounds on my "home" course or could I just use it as a place to keep my handicap and just pay play around where I live, enter opens etc?

D-S

Visit site
That's really interesting, do you know how it work in real life. If I were to become a member of Orchardleigh for instance would I be required to play any rounds on my "home" course or could I just use it as a place to keep my handicap and just pay play around where I live, enter opens etc?
As far as I understand, there are no restrictions re number of rounds etc. but of course you do have to pay a green fee. You can of course enter their ‘home’ competitions if you want to play there. Orchardleigh is a really good track in wonderful countryside.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Most opens don't except Igolf members and TBH I don't want that route. Cleeve works for £150 as it gives you 5 rounds so I will play at least 5 times at the club per year.

Igolf for £40 is fine but you also need to be out of golf for 6 months, which doesn't work either. BOTH are excellent replies just what I'm looking for.

Dornoch sounds a bargain not sure my EV electric bill would save me many pennies up and down only 1008 mile round trip (6 charges min @ 55ppkw on the rapids)

Bobthesock

Visit site
Royal Dornoch is about £550, top 10 in the world rankings.

Only downside there's at least a 6 year waiting list and you can't get a time for love nor money at the best of times?
Or join golspie up the road for about £350 and I think you get a couple of free/almost free rounds at dornoch every year as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Or join golspie up the road for about £350 and I think you get a couple of free/almost free rounds at dornoch every year as well.
Not in the top 10 in the world though, as for the reciprocal def not free and you csn play 3 times a year. Closer to £400 that 350.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
One near me in Brighouse that's £270 a year. Only 6 holes though. I wouldn't be interested even at that price.

There's another one up on the moors between Bradford and Halifax (Headley) that's £290 a year, for nine holes. It's a quirky course - struggles a bit in the winter but for that fee, it's value. Has a great par 3 where you tee off under a viaduct which is a bit different.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty much the plan for 2023 - TOURS

locally I can pay £375 for points inc egu, range 27 holes and options if opens are dry that weekend. current track will be £900 so no good as not about much.

plus I'm done with winter golf. back doesn't like the cold any more or the swing.

Mate of mine joins the cheapest thing he can find to keep a proper handicap and plays mainly Opens...