Changing stroke indexes

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ours are changing. All of them. Index 1, which is a hard hole will now be index 12. The last two were shot holes for me, si 8 and 6, are no longer shot holes.

I know in medal play it makes no difference, in theory, and I guess in stableford, I get 10 shots, and where I get them probably makes no difference, but...

Would changing the stroke indexes in such a random method mess with your head?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have two cards one for medal/stableford and one for matchplay.

Unfortunately lots of players could not get their heads around the idea and kept using the wrong card.

We decided to have just one card and as Stableford is the most played format* of play at our club we went with the one for it.

* Every swindle uses Stableford, 70% of Seniors comps, all optional competions (3 a week) every club competition October to April, plus the most supported knockout comp is Stableford based rather than matchplay based.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours are changing. All of them. Index 1, which is a hard hole will now be index 12. The last two were shot holes for me, si 8 and 6, are no longer shot holes.

I know in medal play it makes no difference, in theory, and I guess in stableford, I get 10 shots, and where I get them probably makes no difference, but...

Random method?

Perhaps someone has decided to re-do them in the recommended way.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
our are getting done after our course update is finnished. our first was SI10 and they have added 25 yards on, 7th was 550 si 16 now its 619 so i'd imagine that will and 14 which was si13 with the green shape changing there only used to be front PP, so max legnth was 220, now if the pins at the back its close to 240

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Random method?

Perhaps someone has decided to re-do them in the recommended way.

I am sure this is the case, but after 19 years as a member, it will be hard. To me, there was nothing wrong with the way they were.

When I look on hdid and see my average score on 7, and look at the charts of what is the hardest hole on the course for all players, 7, making it index 12 makes no sense to me. It might be to the new rules on SI, but it is a nonsense in terms of the way the course plays.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And you've got the new American world handicapping system to look forward to, it's not going to be fun, especially at your age

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
And you've got the new American world handicapping system to look forward to, it's not going to be fun, especially at your age

Oi, I am not old!

Well, not that old. I am just change averse.

Yes, the new handicapping system will be bizarre, but oddly, I am ok with it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The way I am playing presently I need loads back, and will probably get them.

Sadly, I have a 76 on the books, which will take some getting rid of, as it is recent.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It absolutely would mess with my head. I'm sure I'd soon adapt mentally but initially it would be odd. Maybe the change would be good, shake up my preconceptions of a hole? Saying that, I hope they don't do it 😄.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course in medal play stroke indices have no relevance. It has been demonstrated many times that in stableford the swings and roundabout effect operates. It makes no significant difference where strokes are allocated, competition results come out the same, particularly at the top of the leader board. The match play method has a lot of stats going for it. Which is why all major handicap authorities support the concept.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am sure this is the case, but after 19 years as a member, it will be hard. To me, there was nothing wrong with the way they were.

When I look on hdid and see my average score on 7, and look at the charts of what is the hardest hole on the course for all players, 7, making it index 12 makes no sense to me. It might be to the new rules on SI, but it is a nonsense in terms of the way the course plays.

It will be very hard to get your head around the changes after 19 years. Maybe they did do it randomly - pulling 18 numbers out of a bag and allocating them to holes 1 to 18 as they came out. It certainly looks as if they didn't follow the recommendations to the letter or SI12 would have been on hole 1, 9, 10 or 18.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Any way of viewing these holes?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not off hand, no.

But has anyone really come out of a match play event and said, pesky stroke indexes, I would have won if it wasn't for them? Really?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My scores on 7, in stableford off the back tees indicate that I might as well walk straight to the 8th tee if the comp is stableford and I no longer get a shot here.

I will not be alone in this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not off hand, no.

But has anyone really come out of a match play event and said, pesky stroke indexes, I would have won if it wasn't for them? Really?
A h'cap 0.4. B h'cap 0.6
Standing all square on the very tricky par 3 18th tee, rated by stats to be by far the highest scoring hole on the course. SI 1.
Who is your money on?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My scores on 7, in stableford off the back tees indicate that I might as well walk straight to the 8th tee if the comp is stableford and I no longer get a shot here.

I will not be alone in this.
But you will get a stroke on a hole you never had one before. Swings and roundabouts. You win one, you lose one.