Changing phones.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a new phone arriving tomorrow and I'm a bit puzzled about the process to swap over my data, specifically WhatsApp.
It's IPhone to IPhone but moving from Sky to O2. I know to cancel my current contract, get a PAC code to transfer my number blag blah and getting data/apps from IPhone to IPhone is a doddle but I'm reading conflicting articles on how to do the WhatsApp bit. Obviously a backup is required but I've read not to install it on the new phone until the number had been swapped over.
Anyone done this recently and care to help me out?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back up Whatsapp to icloud then restore from back up on new phone.

As the meetkat says, seemples.

I always wait until the number is swapped before I do anything. Means I’m not out of contact at any point.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a new phone arriving tomorrow and I'm a bit puzzled about the process to swap over my data, specifically WhatsApp.
It's IPhone to IPhone but moving from Sky to O2. I know to cancel my current contract, get a PAC code to transfer my number blag blah and getting data/apps from IPhone to IPhone is a doddle but I'm reading conflicting articles on how to do the WhatsApp bit. Obviously a backup is required but I've read not to install it on the new phone until the number had been swapped over.
Anyone done this recently and care to help me out?

Disable both iMessage and facetime .. turn them off .. this unlocks your number from it

Switch over the phone as soon as it's with you. Don't waste time

Do your WhatsApp... People will message your normal number and it won't no your using the new SIM...

You can forward your calls on your old SIM to the new one until the number switch

Then when it's ready you can just be already using the phone , then turn on iMessage and facetime again

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just done this on Tuesday, my number swapped over to my new phone then. Open WhatsApp on your new phone, login with your number. You'll get a security check and then it's good to go. You can only be logged into one device for WhatsApp, so I've learned, so your old phone will instantly be kicked out.

The comments were correct, don't login on your new phone until your number has transferred across.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just done this on Tuesday, my number swapped over to my new phone then. Open WhatsApp on your new phone, login with your number. You'll get a security check and then it's good to go. You can only be logged into one device for WhatsApp, so I've learned, so your old phone will instantly be kicked out.

The comments were correct, don't login on your new phone until your number has transferred across.

Every phone I've transferred I've done before the number swap and never had an issue, just run two phones if I'm that bothered about the old number

However I just forward the calls on the old number to the new one for a day and that solves it

WhatsApp you can log in and use the new number as the old one.. long as it has data it doesn't matter. You just verify by using the old number when you open the txt on your old phone

Simple

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate changing phones!! My mum and dad have also just done it and aren't tech/phone savvy at all. They've had alsorts of problems. I went down to try sort WhatsApp and it wasn't connecting and didn't recognise their numbers. They ended up back in store for 3 hours and eventually it was sorted. Whilst there they bought a couple of raffle tickets - they ended up winning an air fryer so not a bad day really 🤣